1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jail terms for faith healing pair

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Viking, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I thought this story I read on the BBC website yesterday was rather interesting.

In short, a couple whose daughter had an undiagnosed but treatable diabetic condition let their daughter die whilst praying for her healing instead of seeking medical attention which would have saved her life.

Her parents were both sentenced to serve one month in prison each year for the next six years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8294225.stm

Now, I cannot fathom how this logic is supposed to work. I am not a man of faith so to speak, but when people rely on faith to substitute for personal responsibility, well, I'm lost.

To me it seems self evident that if people believe God, Allah, <insert deity of choice here> provides everything, knows everything, and is generally almighty, then surely they also provided the doctors, medical facilities and any other means we have in this day and age to help ourselves? To not avail ourselves of the help that is already provided and instead rely on direct divine intervention, well is it just me, or is this an incredibly self centered view which mocks their god rather than anything else?

Hmm :confused:

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Wait...WTF? Why not just give them 6 months straight? Doesn't seem like much of punishment to me....

Prisoner - "Hey, warden! My time is up!"
    Warden - "Oh, ok...see you next year..."
    Prisoner - "Same time, same place?"
    Warden - "Yep."
    Prisoner - "Ok, see ya!"
    Warden - *opens the gates and waves goodbye*

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Viking,
    the sentence probably takes into account that they have other children and that putting the parents into jail for a long time would adversely affect the children. The parents are probably good, loving parents, except for being too crazy for Jesus for their own and their children's good. This creative verdict is apparently influenced by a desire to protect the children as much as to punish the parents.

In addition to the sequenced jail time the judge mandated adult supervision.
    I also think the parents are idiots for appealing against their convictions. They got off lightly (I'd liked to have them get more tome) and should leave it at that.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  4. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I actually quite like the logic of the sentence, though the time in total seems rather lenient.

It was more of a question as to how can people get so blinded by their religion that they ignore any other means of assistance?

Just as an aside, since last time I was visiting these boards, I have had a daughter who is now just over two, and I know I would be knocking down the doctor's door to get my daughter seen to if I was in their position. My little girl is gorgeous by the way, thanks for asking, and I'm completely non biased ;)

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have a 2-year old as well, but I have a boy. I also agree with you, that nearly any parent would seek medical attention for their child.

I think part of the reason for the light sentence (and I agree it is light) is that the parents actually believed they were doing the right thing. They actually believed praying was the best course of action, and that they did not intend to cause any further harm, and ultimately the death of, their daughter. While that does not absolve the parents from all guilt, I had to think it was considered a mitigation factor at their sentencing.

Upon appeal, is it possible that they get a worse sentence as a result?

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    As I said, the judge made sure the parents got adult supervision as far as medical treatment is concerned.

As for your question, in Germany the answer would be a classical 'it depends'. They could get a worse sentence if they appeal, and the prosecutor does as well, and seeks a harsher verdict.

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    We had another thread like this not long ago and, basically, yeah, you've got it about right. These people are nuts, idiots, or, worse, they're using faith as a shield for their own neglect. I'll give them a hint for the first two cases: going to a doctor doesn't get in the way of prayer! God can go there, too!

This is what I find shocking. After doing that, they're allowed to keep the other two? I don't care how much supervision the other children are given, that's taking a huge risk with their lives.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.