1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jaheira or single class druid in a full party of 6?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Voy, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Voy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm still kinda exploring my options how to start BGT :p Since I'm a chronic restarter I need to be atleast 99% happy about my party... So another question :D

How does Jaheira progress in a party of six in BGT walkthrough(assuming she will be in the party for 90% of time and I'll do around 85-90% of the quests), will she get HLAS and 7th level spells reasonable fast??

I'm kinda tempted to take Avenger druid single class as my PC character
    and generally I have this idea of party of six with all single/dual classes.. So I'm thinking of taking Avenger if I won't take Jaheira
    But i'm concerned that if don't take her I'm going to miss a lot on interactions in the game.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, it depends on what you consider reasonably fast. Obviously, just like all multi-classes, it will take you twice as much experience to gain the ability to cast 7th level spells as compared to single class counterparts.

You'll start getting access to seventh level spells in late SoA, assuming you're completing most of the optional quests. As for HLAs, she's just like everyone else - you get them every time you level upon hitting 3 million XPs, for both classes combined. So the HLAs aren't an issue at all. While you have that long slog from levels 13 through 15, after that the druid levels start coming quite quickly - I think they're only 150,000 XPs apart.

IMO, you're better off with the multi-class, if for no other reason than gaining access to HLAs from both classes (especially considering you can pick druid HLAs with your fighter level ups - it's not like you won't be getting any of the high level druid spells for a long time!). I find Jaheira to be an incredibly useful character in just about any party. Although part of the answer lies in the rest of your party composition. If you already have 2 or 3 other front line fighters, then perhaps an Avenger, who will be much more a spell caster, will better serve your needs. Also keep in mind that there are some serious armor restrictions for pure druids that the multi-class avoids. For me, it's no contest, but that's because I typically use Jaheira as one of my tanks.

My next run through I'm including Jaheira - and she is definitely a front liner. The party is:

PC elven F/T
    Jaheria
    Anomen
    Valygar
    Haer Dalis
    Imoen

So there you go - I'm comfortable with using Jaheira as one of my front line fighters.

3. Voy Gems: 5/31

I know they can use leather only but it's a no biggie since they should be able to use animal armor as well- though I'm not whether it is implemented properly... I heard Avengers can use dragon scale but dunno if they can use ankheg armor and well FD using all kinds of armor and getting ** is a big deal

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I do not think it is implemented properly. After making the armor from animal shells/scales, they assign an armor type to it. For ankhegs and red dragon scales (and later in ToB white dragon scales), it produces plate mail armor, and if you're a regular druid, you're hosed. However, shadow dragon scales produce a leather armor, which the druid can use.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Single-class druids SUCK in BG2, and in 2nd ed in general. Jahiera is a good character, and she'll only ever be a level - maybe two - behind your main character for the bulk of the game. She has some of the best dialogue, too. I find her indispensable.

6. Voy Gems: 5/31

dunno Avenger seems pretty decent; obviously it is inferior to powerhouses like all mage classes but in a party of six it can be good I guess... lots of spells, great summons.

also I installed shapeshifter rebalancing which could make him more worthwhile- installed bonus that were implemented but should have been;
    the first table when you scroll down
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-bg2tweaks.html

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought Avenger would be worthwhile, too - until I played one. The extra spells are nice, but not great. There are very few leather armors available in the game (that aren't Studded), and the summons are just ok. Overall I was disappointed. The upgraded Shapeshifter is much better, imo, but kind of overpowered.

It depends on what you're going for I guess. If you're going more of a roleplaying route then Avenger is a very cool character concept. For straight up fun purposes, I'd perfer a cleric/mage or something. But I almost always play a dual-wielding melee type in BG2 anyway.

Just play the damn game and have fun. :)

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Make sure that none of the mods that you installed limit the armor allowance for F/D. 2nd edition rules don't allow F/D to use armors that single classed Druids can't use. Some fo the mods have that option. I use that option myself and still use Jaheira with the Leather/Hide armors. She still kicks arse.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yeah, the leather armor thing isn't too big of a deal, considering you get +5 leather armor for doing the Umar Hills quest. The armor is obviously intended for a ranger (or a thief) but there's no such restriction on it, so a druid would be able to wear it - (s)he just wouldn't gain any benefit of the stealth-enhancing attributes.

10. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Since we're talking about Jaheira - how do you use Jaheira as a front line fighter? In terms of equipment, spells and weapons. I've always used her as caster only.

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Scimitar or Club plus Shield, this allows her Ironskins to go the distance.

A Girdle of Giant Strength so that her damage becomes credible.

Jaheira may not crank out the raw damage of Korgan or Sarevok, but she sure lasts a lot longer without taking a scratch.

So sayeth the expert on how to make Jaheira kick ass. ;)

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought you were more interested in her spanking abilities. :p

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Helm of Balduran, Belm or Blackblood plus Fortress Shield or Saving Grace does nicely early on. Armor-wise is whatever you like as she will have a nasty AC no matter what. Either buff with Strength spell or give her a Girdle of Hill Giant Strength early on as well. But that goes for almost and warrior-type or multi warrior type was well. If any warrior has a weak Dex attribute, just give them the Gauntlets of Dex and you are all set AC-wise.

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I disagree with Beren in how to equip Jaheira. She's awesome with a spear -- especially the Impaler (and later Ixil's). Give her good armor, have her cast stoneskins, give her a belt to improve her strength and she can do more damage than Korgan over the long haul (no one does more damage than Sarevok -- and he's absolutely awesome with Ravager).

There will come a time when her spell casting ability becomes a significant threat and so you shift tactics for her -- have her cast to weaken the enemy and then she can move in the help mop up what's left.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.