1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jaheira Meme

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Anthropoid, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Anthropoid Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

While I'm waiting for yet another new installation of GOG ToEE to see if I can get Circle of 8 mod to run . . . . just doing some random Google advanced searches on D&D, BG typish lines. Many of which should not be repeated for reasons of goot taste *ahem!* . . .

But I'm amazed at what a 'sub-culture' there seems to be surrounding BG and BG-ish incarnations of D&D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These actually seems to be one of a series of T-shirt faces?

Darion likes this.
  2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    OMG

This is totally a new one for me.
    Kudos for this one.

I can already hear Khalid's famous line: Ja-Jaheira, Nooooo!

3. Anthropoid Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

On a related random web-surfing note . . . it is quite intriguing to see the connections between the talent behind these games and the rest of the popular culture / entertainment industry.

For example, the voice actress who portrays Jaheira in game (at least in BG, but evidently not in BG2?) is evidently named Jennifer Darling. Despite her youthful sounding voice and the obviously 20-somethingish-looking half-elf she was portraying, she was apparently already in her 50s when she did the voice acting for Jaheira. Her biggest claim to fame is evidently having portrayed the secretary "Peggy Callahan" in the old Six Million Dollar TV show wayback in the 1970s. I've been trying to find a Youtube that has some footage of this character but no luck yet.

Her husband, Khalid was voice acted by this pretty cool dude, Jim Meskimen, who is famous for being a master impressionist! Some have said that he is the best impressionist since Rich Little.

Game production really IS part of the broader entertainment industry and obviously has grown into a huge money maker. Damn, I need to get in on that stuff . . .

4. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

I actually found the one many months ago.

On a side note has anyone ever found any BG related merchadise?

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I saw one of these but with Aerie's face instead.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll say this in advance ... whoa there Beren. Calm down big guy and just breathe.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's the BG novels... but you have to be very brave to go there.

8. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

care to share any parts?

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've never tried reading them myself. What I do know is that they almost without question have a universal reputation for being among the most badly written and most badly constructed novels ever. Most who've tried never made it to the end. Those who did regretted it, since it amounted to inflicting greater masochism on themselves. If what I've heard is true, I prefer to save myself the time, money, and pain.

Taluntain likes this.
  10. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The novels will never come close to you own epic adventure in BG Trilogy.

And the lead Abdel-something is 'Meh' beyond words.

11. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jaheira becomes simpering, incompetent and is constantly in need of being rescued (actually dying twice), Minsc becomes some random barkeep with a bushy red afro and the main character has so many what-an-idiot and deus ex machina moments he managed to get his own mini-trope (deus ex idiot).

Fan reception to the novels was so overwhelmingly negative that after years of constant pressure Wizards of the Coast was forced to declare the novels non-canon and occurring in an alternate continuity. Nowadays BG canon is only vaguely alluded to, and when the protagonist was finally killed off recently (mutual destruction vs Viekang, wiping out the Bhaalspawn and resulting in Bhaal's resurrection) fans actually rejoiced.
    Apparently Bhaal's resurrection was preferable over Abdel Adrian's continued breathing.

12. Darion

Media:
    ^
    LOL

Now you spoiled the whole Saga. ;)

13. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Recently? You mean to say that even after the overwhelmingly bad reception, they still continued to make these books until recently?

14. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nah no more books, but the Bhaalspawn saga is an important part of FR's storyline so WotC had to incorporate the story into general lore. I assume it had to be done, or else there'd be no easy way to explain how Bhaal is suddenly back in 5th ed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.