1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jade Empire (PC)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Pac man, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Anyone playing this ? I'm having a blast so far, a whole new RPG experience the way i see it. The game also kinda reminds me of the gameplay in KotOR, especially all the cutscenes and dialogue options. All in all a great find i must say.

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

A blast indeed, this is the best CRPG for the PC from Bioware along with Baldur's Gate saga.

9.5/10, superb. It would be perfect if it would have a slightly better character development and re-rendered cutscenes.

Edit: Ops, how did I mix Black Isle and Bioware...

[ March 04, 2007, 16:58: Message edited by: Erod ]

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Is the game buggy for PC? Its already down to £17.99 on play.com for the special edition. Usually new games cost under £25 if they are crap, like Stronghold 2.

4. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

well the game is hardly new, seeing as it was an old xbox game. and sendit.com usual start around 18£ for all new games, so thats hardly a factor

5. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

It is very well finished, apart from a few annoying bugs that you may experience, but which are easily circumvented (Autorun installer not working, configuration tool not working). There have been complaints about save game corruption (a notorious Bioware games problem...) and a few smaller things on the official forums, but I had not experienced any of these by the time I had finished the game.

The game is a real bargain at the current price, I bought it from Play.com as well.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

To be honest, i haven't encountered a single bug yet, and i have finished the game twice already. A bargain in every way. I sure hope there's going to be a sequel in the near future.

Btw...what's everyone's favourite style of fighting ? I play with Furious Ming, and make most use of the "thousand cuts" style. This guy is lightning fast and can drop the biggest opponents with a series of punches with his bare nuckles.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have just started my second time through and I have not had any problems with bugs either.

Overall I would say that it was quite good. The game is a little short but I would say it is definitely worth playing.

I am finding that I am liking legendary strike a lot more than I did thousand cuts. Cuts' range is just too short where as my kicks using legendary strike have better range and power and are still pretty quick.

I actually ended up virtually abandoning thousand cuts in my first game. I was mostly using staves but for hand to hand I switched over to using iron palm. It had better range and does some serious damage.

8. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

I basically only used Thousand Cuts (it has a short range but you counter it by jumping/moving around a lot) and the Sword as the Weapon style when completing the game on the first run. The other Martial Arts styles were too slow and clumsy for my liking. Support and Magic styles were nice but useless. I did not even try the Transformation styles. Maybe there will be a need to use more styles with the Jade Master difficulty setting, we will see...

9. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm currently playing it with Lu the Prodigy (balanced character) and i'm at chapter 3, just ended the qualifying rounds in the Arena and started the Black Leopard School sidequest.
    My main styles are Legendary Strike and Storm Dragon... Using the area attack of Storm Dragon iniciates an harmonic combo, which is awesome because making an area attack is much quicker than making a strong attack (the usual trigger for harmonic combos).

10. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

What is the indication that you are performing a Harmonic Combo anyway? I can't seem to understand it\perform one... (any lighting changes, fancy fx's... any notifiers whatsoever?)

11. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

You start it with a specific Magic or Support style attack, then continue with a Martial Arts strong attack. There should be a small indicator that counts down between the attacks. I did not use harmonic combos myself, as there was no need to use them.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yeah I found them too cumbersome to bother with. Maybe on the special Jade Master difficulty level you might need them.

On my second time through I really specialized with my skills - I maxed legendary strike, two sword style, spirit thief, jade golem, and almost maxed storm dragon.

I quickly found that jade golem is absurdly overpowered. You are immune to magic and support styles, armoured like a tank and you hit like a ton of bricks. First time around the final boss was a really tough fight - second time around using jade golem it was over in seconds. The same was true of the second last boss - in my first game he put up a pretty decent fight but using jade golem style it was as easy as taking rum from a baby.

Edit: Oh and my character managed to pull off a three way with Dawn Star and Silk Fox. I then reloaded and tried to take the options to actually choose one of the two instead of being indecisive and as it turns out if you have managed to get that far courting both of them and then finally make a decision they both dump you.

I would have to say that Black Whirlwind's solo mission in chapter six is the highlight of the game. His quest journal is hilarious and you got to love dishing out some serious carnage.

[ March 31, 2007, 08:58: Message edited by: JSBB ]

13. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

Aye aye, Black Whirlwind is great, his stories are great too, with exploding rats and whatnot :lol: .

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Third time through I went with closed fist path with Tiger Shen. I maxed White Demon, dual axe style, and jade golem. I had to keep fighting an urge to yell out Hulk Smash!

White Demon is a bit awkward at first but once you get the hang of it you can really dish out some serious damage. The axes were nice enough but they were pretty much the same as using Black Whirlwind. I maxed a couple of support/magic styles too but I never really used them.

15. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I just bought it and payed a little, I just finished beating the hell out of the bandits in Two River's Beach. I got to say; impressive. And I would really suggest playing with a gamepad it's really a better option.

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yeah I can't even imagine trying to play without a gamepad although for some reason mine seems to have problems with the right stick so I generally use the gamepad for fighting and the mouse/keyboard for exploring.

17. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

I have some gamepads, but I did not use any, or even think of using any for this. The basic keyboard + mouse combo never fails. Besides, the Microsoft and Logitech gamepads that I have are crap, unfortunately.

18. Ofelix

Media:
    Really? I've a logitech gamepad and I've no problem at all. I'm using for everything really, combat and exploration. I just sit in the sofa and play like any console game, only it's on the PC!

19. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

Yes, it is a Logitech Dual Action gamepad. It is advertised as the "ultimate precision instrument". Right... the 8-way D-pad is simply horrible, it is almost impossible to get any precision with it. Additionally, the right analog stick suffers from the design/construct flaw, which makes it useless.

The other is a Microsoft SideWinder Freestyle Pro, back from 1998, still works perfectly. Its 8-way D-pad is as useless as Logitech's. It is also quite clumsy to use. But it has motion sensing technology in it, long before Nintendo "invented" it with Wii. Although, it too, is quite useless.

But so much for ranting about gamepads, as the game was originally designed for the Xbox, it is quite understandable that you might want to use a gamepad over the basic mouse + keyboard combo. The problem for me is, that there simply are not any good gamepads for the PC, maybe I should buy an adapter and use a PS2 gamepad... but why bother, since you can simply use a mouse and a keyboard.

20. Ofelix

Media:
    I've a logitech dual action and I really don't see the problem you're talking about. Maybe your standard are too high, I find it quite good really. Are you sure it's this one? (It's the model I own btw)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.