1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD2 vs. 3ED?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Koki, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

So I am singing praisal hymns for IWD2 system, but how faithful it actually is to the P&P? Percentage would be nice :D

2. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Wow...

Its more like a 2.5 edition....

MAny things does not work as it should have (hide/move silently for eks).

3. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I would say it's more like a "3ED light". The important differences from 2ED (like the multiclassing and the AC BAB) are like they should be in 3ED P&P.

4. raptor Gems: 16/31

Yes they got nearly everything "obvious" or "in your face" right. And left many of the background mechanics. Also BAB and AC is fairly easy convertions, just turn the numbers around, the way BAB works is exactly the same as how Thac0 works, just that they start on the same spot and goes the other way. Same with AC.

5. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It's close enough, but some rules were left out, like the AoO and many feats/skills.

Still, I like this better than the AD&D rules.

6. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The only things I miss are the role playing aspects of character development. Here, you have ultra specialized characters, especially in skills and feats. In P&P, most players would invest some skill points in knowledges, history, etc, not to mention climbing, swimming, mounted feats, etc. But I was always impressed with what the developers did add to the game.

7. raptor Gems: 16/31

General Ghoul: Many and most of them are very self-explanatory ;) but yes i do miss many of them for nothing else but rolepalying reasons.

However they could have removed all those "get +2 in skill 1 and +2 in skill 2", we have skill focus for a reason.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well it is like 3E, but not quite.

I like 2E rules better as they are simple and lovely. Oh, and MC casters suck hard in 3E. :angry:

9. raptor Gems: 16/31

I have yet to understand how anyone can claim 2E to be "simple" in comparision to 3E ?

I have DM'ed both, and going from 2E to 3E was an incredible change, all of a sudden my players begun understanding the ruleset!

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Err please, let us not go for this all again!

2E vs 3E eh? Neverending infighting.

Personally speaking, I find 2E simpler. No complex feat, skill points per level calculations, no difficulty class calculations, (DC) plain and simple.

'I cast a fireball. Umm it is DC is, let me check...err, 10+3, plus:my int was 19 so +4, oh wait I had given one point to it in my last level up, so +5, I also have spell focus, or was it greater spell focus, ahh OK it was GREATER, I leveled up recently you know, so +4, and total is, I think, though one can never be sure, is:10+3+5+4=22 reflex save!'

'Great, I roll a reflex save. Umm I got a 11. Now, my base save is, +4 from thief, err no no rogue levels, +2 from fighter levels, and +1 from mage, so I have +7, eh? Well my dex is 14 so +2. This is 11+4+2+1+2=20, damn! Oh wait, wait, don't roll the damage yet, I have lightning reflexes feat, or so I think, let me check...(shuffles through character paper) yes here it is! So it adds, another, was it +2 bonus? It must be. So my save is successful!'

'Fine, you only take half damage then. (starts rolling the dice)'

'Umm no, I also had Evasion, so I took no damage at all. Yes, my super-duper character suddenly jumps, or flies, or teleports from the area of blast to take zero damage! And he was carrying lots of stuff! No sweat!'

'DAMN your feats!'

:confused: :confused: :confused:

11. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

I'm not a PnP player and am not committed to either rulesset. I understand some of the points that you're making, Silverstar, about the complexity, or at least the excessive details, involved in 3e. And there's definitely something to be said for having simpler rules that take less time to use while playing.

That said, there are also some good things about 3e that I like.

One, I like the use of Max DEX bonus in armor. I like the idea that a very agile character wearing supple leather armor can have as high an AC as a plate wearing fighter who is about as agile as a tree stump.

Two, I like the fact that there's no racial discrimination in the 3e rules. Any person of any race can be select any class. You may not like that, but I love it.

Three.... I like the inversion of AC and replacing the term Thac0 with AB. It's easier to understand without having to take a couple minutes to think about it. It's more intuitive.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a merging of the 2e and 3e rules that tried to regain some of the simplicity of the 2e rules, while taking the best parts of 3e.

12. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Add everything together, roll more. That sounds simple to me...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.