1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD2 Thoughts so far

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Orkrist the Cleaver, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] O.K., here are my initial impressions...

1.) The graphics seem different. I haven't decided if I like it more, less or the same, but the colors seem more vivid, and the backgrounds don't have that grizzled look from IWD1. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

2.) I'm still iffy on cut scene style and intro style. The female's voice doesn't mesh as well as the voices from IWD1.

3.) Some really sweet portraits, and the great voices are back.

4.) I would have preferred Soule music, but its all right, and they used certain tracks again from IWD1.

5.) I like how they avoided the fetch quests in the prologue. Nicely done.

6.) I thought the interface would be more like PS:T, which I didn't like, but it isn't. I like it.

7.) When I enter a structure or initiate conversation, even with someone I have already spoken to, it seems like the game has to "think" a while before something happens. I can't tell if the gfame is running through some variables or if its just slower. Any thoughts?

Overall, I like it so far. Its much hardewr from me to get into a game these days, I'm just too busy. I installed Double Helix, checked out the first mission and just left it. I'm sticking with this one, plus I feel compelled to having loved the first one. Any other initial thoughts?

OK, update. This is seriously hard. I'm still in Ch. 1, but I was in a battle, a tough one, at least my second time through, thinking now I'm going to make it, and then here comes this whole other gang, with casters and everything. Ch. 1 in this game makes the Severed Hand in IWD1 look like a walk in the park.

[ September 08, 2002, 08:15: Message edited by: Orkrist the Cleaver ]

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Orkrist, is it possible that the delay in conversations you are experiencing is caused by your PC being slightly slow?

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually Rastor it is not his machine.
    There seems to be a certain lag problem, even on Athlon 1800Hhz at certain areas.

Orkrist, if you are playin with scripts, try with disabling them, and also check if changing AI rate in IWD2 config affects it anyhow. I don't have IWD2 yet, so I can't test this oddity myself.

[EDIT]
    Also try with disabling Static Animations and defragmenting hard drive.

[ September 02, 2002, 19:38: Message edited by: Extremist ]

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Hmm, my machine (450 P3 with 386MB RAM and a 32MB TNT2) isn't having any problems, even with graphics at their max.

I don't have any party-based AI scripts activated, though. I assume that's what your referring to Ex.

In response to his original response, I'd say that this is the game that NWN should have been. The graphics are pretty sweet, even at 800x600 (I dislike other resolutions, like a fairly large pixel size).

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Rastor, why is IWD2 the game NWN should have been? They are two completely different games. One is a action based single player RPG while the other is a robust multi-player game. NWN has tile based graphics while IWD2 is a mat picture. So comparing the two is rather hard. They are different games with different strengths and weaknesses.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Alright, fine. You're correct, they are totally different games. Let's just say that when I heard about NWN, I was expecting something better than what was released, and I barely knew anything about IWD2. Yet, IWD2 is the one that is satisfying my high hopes for a third-edition D&D game.

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm unsure if I'm talking correctly here, but I feel it like this:

NWN is Diablo 3D (action? hack&slash? only MP worth playing?)

IWD2 is not Diablo 3D, but also not Diablo 2D.

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I've had IWD2 for two days now...And I really like it!!! The interpretation of 3ed is a little different than NWN, but overall I'm happy with the results! Here are some general thoughts:

1) I like the girl narrator. (Seriously, are you THAT surprised?!?! ;) )

2)The Equipment/Inventory screen is better! I like that every character has 4 quick weapon spots.

3) The flexibility of character weapons is much more conducive of RPG'ing. My cleric is a Battleguard of Tempus - and she uses a longsword and shield in melee combat

4) The monsters are more fun to fight! Monsters seem to have the same feats/abilities as the pc's - it tends to make the battles more strategy oriented, instead of just...Mage - Fireball! Tanks Roll!

5) The storyline so far is good! Taking part in a large scale siege, then taking the fight to them has been a blast!

6) Weapon/Equipment/spell graphics are really well done!!!

Well, that's my two cents...In my opinion, IWD2 was well worth the wait and the the Infinity Engine can still put out a fun game!

9. deBhaal Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Only gripe I have with IWDII so far, is its fairly memory intesnive, I need to get more memory so that Ill beable to play it on my computer.
    Ive had to play it on my moms computer recently, so I cant play it as much as it would if iI could on my own computer.

Goblins never seemed so hard, even in BGI and IWDI

10. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Only thing that bothers me is statistic points.
    I liked rolling for hours in BG2 to get over 92 points :D :D :eek:
    Here in IWD2 you just get a certain number and do what you want with it :(

However it is better in one way 'couse you must create whole party at once and not just one char. as in BG ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.