1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD2 final battle

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by mewp, Aug 15, 2019.

1. mewp Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

I have been playing this game off and on for what 17 years? I have only won it once. The final battle kills me. I just spent 4 hours on it. There must be away to win this. Iam 71 years old and am running out of time.

j7n likes this.
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Tell us your party composition and what builds you have, including sorcerer, bard, and wizard spell selection and maybe we can help you make a strategy that works. Don't bother listing skills, with the exception of hide in the shadows, move silently, and concentration none of them really make much difference in combat strategy (animal empathy won't help much in the final battle even if it can be useful in the beginning. Shangarn (areas leading to the bridge) and Ice Temple areas in particular) and we'll assume that spellcasters have concentration maxed and that rogues have some ranks of hide/move silently.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Also, have you tried reducing the difficulty?

5. mewp Gems: 1/31

Veteran

I have two fighters both half orcs, a barbarian also an orc and the rogue/cleric, a cleric and a wizard. I had them down to where both were hurt but they didn;t leave to go to the radient pool. At this point I had one orc fighter left. They didn;t leave and finally killed him. I started ouyt with everyone invisible and speeded.

6. mewp Gems: 1/31

Veteran

I have checked every thing. I even lowered the difficulty. I real;y hate to start over. But I will.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  8. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

As an aside: If you save the monks in the prison, they can be a bunch of distraction toward the various minions.

Move immediately to the lower right corner where two wizards await. You got enough physical to overpower them, one at a time. 1-2 Summon (highest) spell to call for extra helper. You should have enough to kill them both before the chasing boss get up your ass.

At this time your squishy casters should be into this corner, and your physical warriors and summons get back to the backside to stop the chasers. Be careful that there might be one or two leakers go the upper route since you are blocking the lower route.

Wizard: mordekainen sword is a good basic spell in this battle aside the summon. Cleric can throw Sol Searing Orb. Holdfast arrows can stall the minions, and a good time to expend it if you have any.

If they Gate in any demons, the paladin with special sword can do good there.

It depend how your game goes. But in general Isair is more brittle than Madae. Concentrate on one and finish it down to approriate HP state to initiate next level. DONT fight the other (concentrate firepower).

At the stage, throw AoE spell on the bridge to cut down minions and splash damage on to the bosses. Then concentrate on the previous Hurt Boss to finish off.

j7n likes this.
  9. phills Gems: 1/31

Media:
    Running to the bottom right into the next room is key because otherwise there's a mage there that just keeps summoning monsters for you to fight.

Also, the AI isn't very good at chasing you over there. The spell casters get separated from the melee units and so you can fight fewer of them at a time over there. If you helped the monks, they'll distract the Isair and Madae as well, which gives even more time to mop up the rest. Otherwise use summons. (If you cast haste, you're a lot faster than the monsters so you can keep kiting them).

If I remember right, Isair and Madae have a bunch of immunities. You might need +3 or +5 weapons to hurt them, and one of them is immune to slashing while the other is immune to blunt. Make sure your best hitters has both types (so they can swap) and as high + as possible.

I seem to remember Protection From Magic is an anti-magic scroll you can use to stop them from casting spells. Might dispel their protections too. If you have those, try it on them. Otherwise try dispel magic or kiting them and waiting out their protections, if you can't just focus them down.

Good luck! I thought this was one of the really fun fights of the Infinity Engine games.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  10. mewp Gems: 1/31

Veteran

I have a new problem, I started all over and everything was fine but once I get to ch. 6 my Wizard has casting failure. This never happened before and one of my clerics can['t cast level 8 spells.

11. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Let's cover the basics. Does you cleric have at least 18 wisdom? If not then there's your answer. In IWD2 spellcasters have a prime attribute. You must have 10+the spell level in the prime attribute to cast spells of that level.
    • For clerics, paladins, rangers, and druids it is wisdom.
    • For bards and sorcerers it is charisma.
    • For wizards, it is intelligence.
    Also, having your bard, sorcerer, or wizard wear anything but robes in the armor slot can cause casting failure, as can carrying a shield. You can take a feat to somewhat offset it. Bards can eventually wear elfin chain mail with that feat.

12. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Congratulations on making it to the final battle. As much as I love the IE games and have played them to death, I could almost never get past the boring ice temple no matter how hard I tried. Once I made it as far as the Underdark.

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I personally mostly got bored with Battle Squares, although fortunately it is optional. I kinda wish there was a mod out there to let me skip the BS while collecting all the loot similar to Dungeon-Be-Gone in BG2.
    Even cheating in potions, I have a hard time killing the enemies in the time provided even though my character is in no danger of dying.

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Errr . . . seriously? Slick, you've got resources right at your fingertips.

First item on the page, last entry:

https://sorcerers.net/Games/IWD2/index_mods2.php

The text on that component reads as follows:

Skip Battle Square
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This component gives you the option of automatically completing all
    (3+4+5+6+7)*10 = 250 battles in the Battle Square "challenge" in the
    Ice Temple. You may now talk to the Ice Golem champion that controls the
    battle square and pick an option to complete them all in one fell swoop.
    You will be given all of the rewards (mostly a bunch of ammo, but some of
    the rewards cannot be obtained any other way) and all of the game variables
    will be updated. The normal Battle Square rewards are somewhat random
    (e.g., you might get Bolts +1 or Arrows +1). If you use the Skip component
    you will always get a "well-balanced" reward that I picked using the game's
    algorithm (i.e., it is possible to get exactly this reward by just playing
    the game normally).

Installing this component will not automatically skip the Battle Square in
    every game -- you still have to talk to the Golem. So if you decide that
    you want to complete the BS normally, just don't talk to him.

Not sure if the folks at G3 have something as well (I would be willing to wager they do).

15. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'd installed ease-of-use years ago, and just restored from a backup. I honestly did not realize it was there, I must have said "no" many years ago. As in more than 10 years. :-[.
    Time to reinstall it, and look over what other components are there.

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yeah, the battle squares one is the most important in my book. There are some other changes that are pretty useful, but the only one I find mandatory is battle squares.

17. j7n Gems: 1/31

This battle is really tough because the bosses are pre-buffed. Good advice about attacking the mage in the right corner. I wanted to kill him after he forcibly teleported my party (2 ranger, thief, wizard, druid, bard, level 16).

I managed to pass the battle in an unsatisfying manner. After I very easily killed all supporting spellcasters and thieves, I attacked Isair with +5 arrows and bullets that I had bought in anticipation (all my money). He had only 10 damage resistance. With Protection from Evil, most of my and their summons were fighting amongst themselves.

I retreated from the pool room back into the large chamber to put some distance between the enemies, and be protected by summons, took down the hard hitting slayers of Xvim, got Isair badly wounded. Unfortunately, Madae then cast Black Blade of Disaster and instantly killed 4 of my party members at range!! Their portraits vanished! The remaining couple escaped and managed to finish off Isair, which ended the game, without damaging Madae at all. The cutscene talked about us adventurers, but we did not exist anymore.

When I attempted to replay the battle, Isair now had 20 resistance instead, and I could not hit him that hard without critical. I tried to lower resistance and dispel, but they always resisted. Managed to land one Horrid Wilting on him, but most of my other spells are fire based or low damage. I suspect that I managed to dispel something the first time, which reduced the boss' resistance, but did not notice (he still had an aura effect).

18. Jamesworkshop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Good thing the game auto exports the characters at the start of the battle so you don't even have to do it, otherwise Horrid wilting breaks past any spell resistance they have.

j7n likes this.
  19. j7n Gems: 1/31

I finally managed to beat the boss battle without dying! The area was littered with items including Boots of Speed, and I had to see and take them, because that is what we do.

The resistances seem partly random. Isair again had only 10 resistance to piercing damage, was immune to bullets, and was unaffected by Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting and Wall of Moonlight. The other time he resisted 5 of magic damage. I took a few shots at Madae and nothing registered at all, but she was barely injured by Moonlight trap. I used the door to the big room to slow the enemies down and get them thinned by some traps. When one of the bosses cast Blasphemy, I moved immediately, and only some of my people got stunned.

Good that the Elven castle got destroyed after it was tainted by orcs, necromancy and demons.

20. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    If they are pre-buffed (which I did not realize), has anybody tried Dispel Magic on them?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.