1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I've hit a bug, game can't progress

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Klorox, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I've been playing the game for a few months now, bug free, and now I've hit one. I'm fully patched and have HoF and TotLM installed.

When I go to talk to Hrothgar to end the prologue and progress into chapter 1, the movie doesn't show like it's supposed to. I end up going directly to the Khuldahar pass screen, but my portraits are greyed out, I can take no action, and the hermit never moves or initiates conversation with me. I'm basically stuck in the one spot.

I have no mods other that TotLM installed.

EDIT TIME:

I just tried the good old "unintall/reinstall" trick, and I've made things worse.

The game had a corrupt file or something, wouldn't install, and after restarting and trying again, I can't install and get an error when I try to intall.

I'm not too upset though, I'm going to install IWD2 for the first time and give it a try. :)

[ October 30, 2005, 23:23: Message edited by: Klorox ]

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This may be a silly question but did you manually uninstall the IWD directory? You may also need to delete the registry key.

3. Klorox

Yes and yes.

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

After trying the easy things like disabling sounds and changing resolution and graphic options I would try the following:

1.)remove the CD from the drive before talking with Hrotgar

if this doesn't work

2.)uninstall and reinstall only IWD without HoW, do the Easthaven quests and talk to Hrotgar.
    You can reimport your characters if you don't want to do the cave again.
    If you install HoW before arriving in Kuldahar the only difference is that your illusionist can choose protection from evil as starting spell.

If this doesn't work:

3.)Enable the cheat console and use the MoveToArea command. If moving to Kuldahar Pass doesn't work, you can skip it and warp to Kuldahar directly.
    You should have ToTL installed before entering Kuldahar if you want to buy the bonus items or the cat's grace spell.

You seem to really enjoy the game if it takes you a few months for the first half of the prologue. (Chapter 1 starts in Kuldahar.) ;)

[ October 31, 2005, 11:57: Message edited by: kmonster ]

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Hang on ... you have been playing for a few months and are still in Easthaven? :eek:

6. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Perhaps he's playing again?

7. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I don't think he meant this particular run-through has taken that long...rather he's had the game and been playing it a few times through, and this is the first time he's hit a bug.

Right? Right!

8. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

@Klorox: You should clean your disc and try to copy it as long as it might be readable. Another disk drive might be able to read it.
    Or just borrow or buy a new one if you find a cheap store, this might save you some trouble.
    Reinstalling windows from scratch might also help.

Just curious: Did you buy the game preowned or how did you manage to damage the disc so much in just a few months ?

9. Klorox

I bought the game new.

I have tried cleaning the disc, but can not install or uninstall the game now.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You can always defrag your harddrive.

11. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Or format the drive.

Have you tried editing the registry?

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

@Klorox: It is possible that you have to remove several entries hidden at different places in the registry.
    We had the neither can install or uninstall problem once with Medal of Honor. It took quit some time.

13. Klorox

I tried defragging the hard drive, to no avail.

I am getting into IWD2 right now, so I'll survive. :)

14. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    If you need to get the game off your drive and it won't let you uninstall, the easiest way to do it is to manually delete all the files and then run a registry cleaner. Once you run a registry cleaner (you can find plenty of them for free) reninstalling the game will be no problem.

15. Klorox

What is a registry cleaner, and can it harm other files?

16. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

in theory a registery cleaner should look through your windows registery and sort out what files/links that is obsolete. and remove them. clean it up a bit. never tried one myself so cant ansver for how well they work.

17. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's a lot easier (and safer) than searching through the system registry yourself. They are perfectly safe. If you are worried about messing something up you can always back up your registry before running the registry cleaner. The one I use actually does that automatically.

18. Klorox

Thanks a lot. I'll check download.com soon and see if I can find out some more info and download one.

I've started a thread about registry cleaners in the Techno Magic forum just for some additional info.

Again, thanks a lot for giving me hope that I'll be able to play this very fun game again. I've really missed it!

Edit: I am still getting an error that reads:

Unable to locate inatallation log file 'C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale\Uninst.isu.' Uninstallation will not continue.

EDIT 2:

I got the game to work. Turns out, something was going wrong when I tried to do a full-install, but it all worked when I did a recommended install. I am worried that there is something wrong with one of my disks, and that this problem will bite me in the rear sometime in the future, but I'm going to give the game a shot.

My problem initially came when trying to leave the Prologue for the Khuldahar pass, so hopefully I'll get that far tonight and see if I can bypass that bug. If not, I think I'll just buy a new copy of the game.

[ December 28, 2005, 04:26: Message edited by: Klorox ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.