1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It's never too early...

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Online' started by Taluntain, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since some information and screenshots of this upcoming MMORPG finally started showing up, I've opened a forum for its discussion.

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Hmm, a D&D MMORPG? I must say, that NWN was enough. Scrap the idea and throw it in the bin, it's not worth it.

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I really don't like MMORPG's since seeing Dark Age of Camelot. Just constant powergaming. Just seems like a way to exploit a DnD world for more money.

4. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I dunno - could be interesting.
    I'm planning on joining *some* MMORPG in the (not too) foreseeable future.
    I like D&D so it might be good to go for this one - looking forward to see how this turns out.
    :borg:

5. Tardazor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Is interesting see a MMORPG of D&D. I really want explore the Sword Coast by my own foot.
    Travel since Moonshea to Cormyr, and since Shadowdale to Calimport.
    Were I sign it?

6. Fiatil Gems: 4/31

Unfortunately, it's not set in the Forgotten Realms, so no Calimport.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    D&D Online is set in Eberron. Btw The Kilted Crusader, every D&D game is a way to exploit the licence for more money, obviously. That's what the licence is for. They want to make as much money with it as possible, same as any sensible businessman.

In any event, the screenshots look quite promising.

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'm quite interested in this project. Can't say wether I'm positive about it or not, but definitely interested.

It features many changes to the normal MMO's that although hated by many, seem the first true steps away from the immersionless skilless timedrains that the present-day MMORPGs are.

Things such as collition modeling in combat, flanking and realtime controlled combat guarantee the use of actual skill and tactics. This time you have a reason to back to the corridor and protect the mage with your fighters. And a reason to avoid staying out in the open in general to be surrounded and attacked from multiple fronts.

Also the ability to climb walls is something I'm really looking forward to seeing. I always loved the mage spell featherfall, which I hope is in this now as well.

The incredibly small serversize guarantees you finally have the chance to be one of the few heroes instead of one of the thousands nameless people wandering around the huge landscapes.

The full weight being on adventure and combat, all crafting and "social" professions forgotten, will undoubtedly rule out many players. But it never seemed realistic to me in the first place to assume that one game could draw in every type of player there was. Better to be perfect in few, than average in all, as past has proven.

This may be a failure really, but at least for the first time in years, some people are actually *trying* to do something new. And I have to say, they deserve respect for truly trying make to the first D&D MMO different from the others.

9. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Massivly Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (is this a serious question? No offence if it is.) Must like Everquest or Ultima Online. Many people (by many I mean LOTS - 2000+ sometimes) log onto a server that is a persistant world. The worlds are often huge, spanning multiple continents with countless NPCs. However, most are just mindless power-mongering and spawn camping (monster spawn camping since monsters respawn).

11. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yes it was a serious question dude! :D

My only experience with DnD games are BG2: Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal, and games that I played when I was younger, like Dungeons of Moria, Hack, Nethack and Larn!

I'm still very naive as far as CRPG's go, but my love for these types of games is real! Just need to learn more that't it. :)

12. Atari Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

MMO's are obviously the future in gaming. Just think of how many people play MMO's compared to normal games. Online gaming is comming up in a big way and game makers know this. I think D&D as a MMORPG has great potential. Face it, RPG's were practically made for the internet. Let's hope the makers use its potential!

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, some of us don't really have time for MMORPGs, or have first-hand experience how addictive they can be, or both... Either way, plenty of reasons why people would still want to play non-MMORPGs. At least until both Europe and the US have cheap broadband available everywhere.

14. St. James Gems: 4/31

Where are the screenshots?

15. Taluntain

Media:
  16. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

So true, Tal. Playing with other people online requires time, dedication, and a flexible schedule, which many of us don't have.

I like playing online with other people, but I wouldn't be interested on a game without a solid single-player part, as most of the times is the only one I can make use of.

17. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    indeed, i want to play on stange times. I go to work late(not to late) so I have time in the mornings. breakfast, hour gaming and off to the job.
    or gaming and watching tv at the same time. mmorpg is nice but the powegamers ruin a lot.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.