1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It's a sad, sad day in Sigil.

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by The Soul Forever Seeking, Nov 10, 2002.

1. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Today, I wanted to find a good pic of the Nameless One. Since for whatever reason, though Torment remains a cult classic, it doesn't have the staggering amount of fans of other games such as the Baldur's Gate series, there aren't many fan sites. Well, good fan sites, anyway. (kidding.) But seriously, the first place I tried was the official site. www.planescape-torment.com

Yesterday, it worked.

Today...

When I went to planescape-torment.com, it brought me to a redirection page, which brought me to www.blackisle.com. I don't know if it's permanant, and that Black Isle no longer cares about PS:T, or if it's temporary, for reasons I can't understand, but as far as I know, there is no Planescape: Torment official site any more. I don't think it's fair that a game only made about three years ago should have its official site vanish, while the company keeps the sites of other games made about that time, (Fallout 2) or even before that (Fallout 1, Baldur's gate...) up. I mean, seriously. Unreal Tournament, unless I'm grossly mistaken, was released at about '99. True, it had a "prequel" of sorts, (Unreal had nothing to do with UT except the name and most of the weapons) but it has another sequel out and people are still making mods for it. (Hell, there is a hardcore community of gamers out there who still play Doom on a regular basis, and that was, what, 92, 93? For a computer game, Doom is Methuselah.)

Torment is, and will remain, one of my favourite games. True, many games look better than it, and some have more action, weapon types, there's probably a game out there with a better plot, and hell, all other RPGs have more armour than it, but it had heart for a computer game. Rather than, ironically enough, just the nameless, sword-wielding protagonist of most RPGs, who goes on a generic quest to save the world from an evil badass who

A)Just killed his family/friends before his eyes.
    B)Did something similar in the past.
    or
    C)Used to be his best friend.

Then, of course, when you've killed him in the final battle, it turns out that there was an evil force behind him, like a dark god or something. The FINAL final battle. Whoops! Forgot to mention that the Hero falls in love with the first female to join the group.

No, Torment wasn't like that.

A) The world wasn't in danger.
    B) neither were YOU. It was an odd exercise, not being able to lose.
    C) and every time you've EVER loved someone in the past, they have died.

YOU are the hero, YOU were the bad guy, YOU created the evil force. His name may be gone, but he's a hell of an interesting character. The entire game was about *knowing* who he was. The in-game character creation thing helped helped you know who *you* were.

Planescape: Torment will never have an official sequel. It is becoming increasingly difficult to locate in stores. And now, it no longer has a website. Personally, I'm going to keep the box and CDs in good condition, and show them to my grandkids. (Of course, I'm 17, so by then, they'll look at Unreal Tournament 2003 and say "Jeez, Grandad! How do you play that? It doesn't even look like a game!" )

A toast to Planescape: Torment, widely overlooked, widely underapprieciated.

Any thoughts? -Soul out.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, it's been gone for 3 days that I know of. I've already contacted some people about it, but I'm still waiting for a response.

3. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    [​IMG] This is indeed bad news.

PS:T is one of my favourites as well, but as you said it's underappreciated and it hasn't sold very well. Most stores here in Belgium didn't even buy the game. I had to order it and it took them 3 weeks to get it, so I guess Black Isle thought it wasn't worth the effort anymore to keep a site up and running for the few people that still visited it.

EDIT[apparently it was false alarm. :) ]

[ November 10, 2002, 22:27: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

4. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

From one of the moderators at the BIS forums;
    "...the Torment site is down thanks to a temporary problem it should be fixed by the end of the week."

And if you're still looking for pics check out this post.

Also, here is the largest high-res pic of him (the left half of it).

[ November 10, 2002, 17:12: Message edited by: Platter ]

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ahh, then I was worrying needlessly. Good to know. ;)

6. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

1. Not to counter Tal, but I could have SWORN it was two days ago that the site was up. Eh. Semantics.

2. Platter, those are some of the best pics I've seen so far for Torment. Thanks are in order for the link.

7. Platter

No problem.

8. TrueShadow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Gah! The only good PS:T site left now is the Locus Inn. It was bad enough when the best PS:T site, planescape-torment.net disappeared! :(

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  10. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] ROTFL!!!

Go Tal, go!
    I wish there were stickies...

11. TrueShadow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Oh sorry, what I meant to say was that it was bad enough when they closed the 2ND BEST planescape:torment site.

Happy? :)

12. Platter

planescape-torment.net did not disappear. It moved here.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.