1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It's a game, not the second coming of Jesus

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Alavin, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I really love games, of almost all genres. Even the ones I'm really bad at (such as driving games, and RTS) are fun, if I try to ignore my usual (and admittedly pathetic) "if I don't win, it's pointless" attitude. Obviously there are games that are better than others, some approaching genius, but there has never been a flawless game, despite what some people choose to believe.

Recently, while slightly inebriated, a group of us were discussing games, as we do every single time we get drunk together. Because we're that cool. And, as often happens, Deus Ex came up, along with the usual "Deus Ex 2 didn't happen" topic. I freely admit it - I liked Deus Ex: Invisible War. Although it doesn't come close to the brilliance that was the original, it had a relatively good storyline, moderately developed characters, and a fantastic thought-provoking ending. The combat was fluid, and at worst functional. The augs were occasionally a little overpowered compared to others (cloak), but generally a good game. But it wasn't Deus Ex, and that was its biggest failing. Same setting, same general gameplay features, but lower quality. Of course, games should be judged against their peers, but comparing one game solely against one other is never going to be fair to either. If DE:IW dropped the 'DE:' part, it would have been much better received.

I'm sure you guessed where this post was heading: Fallout 3.

Unlike the DE-to-DE:IW transition, this is much more dramatic. The ruleset from the original is still there (well... sort of), but there's a complete perspective change. And I think that could be its greatest strength. The isometric perspective wasn't what Fallout was about - to be honest, I felt the combat was largely functional rather than the reason to play the game (cue flaming...?). I played for a 1950s view of a post-apocalyptic world, but with an edge of 21st century grit and realism. I played for the dry humour that occasionally broke the fourth wall. But most of all, I played because I could make a difference. I had a choice in everything I did, more than in any other game I can think of, and most importantly, my choices had an effect. This is what Bethesda needs to get right most of all, something that never really came across in Oblivion/Morrowind/Daggerfall/Arena, and certainly not to the desired extent. But I have hope - the screenshots definitely look like the Fallout world, so that's a start, and from my reading Bethesda really seem to understand what's required of them. Of course, there are certain groups (NMA) who are never going to accept this as Fallout - "First slash third person?!" they scream. "I don't remember seeing that in Fallout! That means it's wrong!" But F3 shouldn't just be judged against the other three in the series, it should be judged against all its peers - the other Fallout games included, of course, but also Oblivion, Deus Ex, Boiling Point, Stalker, and many others that follow a similar path. I'm not going to say this will be amazing, and I'm certainly not going to say it'll suck. I'm just going to hold the faith, and wait for the release.

2. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    A very sensible attitude! :thumb:

Admittedly, I've never played either of the first two Fallout games, so I'm not as embittered and cynical towards the series as the people you were talking about, but I would agree perspective does not define a game.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think it's the same thing as with the hardcore Lord of the Rings fans who think that Jackson's interpretation is a blasphemy because he changed a few things... I don't really know why exactly those changes were done (though I expect he had a good reason for it), but I've still enjoyed the movies immensely despite them not sticking to the books completely. Some people just can't tolerate any change though, whether it's justified or not. Don't get me wrong - I always root for as faithful book to film adaptations as possible... but I'm not going to condemn any that aren't completely faithful as long as most of it is there and the spirit of the work is still there. I'm afraid that too many Fallout fans will discredit the third iteration well in advance of ever trying it (or as soon as they try it and it's not exactly the same as the first two).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.