1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Items for Crom Faeyr?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Does anything special happen when you wear the gauntlets of ogre power, the girdle of frost giant strength and wield the hammer of thunderbolts? I know it does in pnp but it doesn't look like it does here? I guess you just get to morph them with the scroll and that's that?

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Nothing whatsoever.

3. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    As far as i know, the gauntlets and girdle will be used to actually create Crom Faeyr - wearing them all seperately won't doanything besides giving you their individual bonuses.
    Though technically you'd not receive any bonus from the gauntlets, since the girdle sets your strength to a higher amount then the gauntlets will, thus overriding it.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    In pnp if you equipped all 3 of them you got both the +#/+# from the gauntlets AND the girdle combined. I don't remember if it worked that way for ANY hammer but it did for the hammer of thunderbolts. It also had the effect to stun nearby enemies with a thunderous bang/clap, kinda like an area effect of celestial furry or something similar. Also it killed any giant it hit automatically. Don't remember if there was a save for it or not?
    This was all way back in 1st edition. I don't remember if it worked that way for any other editions?
    The leader of the flaming fists group had all 3 items.

5. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The weapon and girdle/belt has gone through many iterations across many editions - for example, it is also in pathfinder where you only need to equip it together with a belt of giant strength (and know that the hammer is the hammer of thunderbolts) to gain it's effects.
    However, in pathfinder it is a returning throwing hammer, instead of melee. it also makes a thunderclap sound that can stun those its thrown at if they fail a save.
    In 3.5 D7D it works much as you describe - you must wear the belt of giant Strength and gauntlets of ogre power and have knowledge that the hammer is a hammer of thunderbolts, but when you do it allows the bonuses of the belt and gauntlets to stack (while you are wielding the hammer).
    5E changes things up again - once again needing you to wear the belt and gauntlets, but this time you only gain +4 to your strength, and the weapon is melee but you gain 5 uses to throw the weapon each day.

But regardless of how they work in tabletop, in whatever edition - they just don't function that way in Baldur's Gate.
    In fact, i'd say the way baldur's gate goes about it makes it more powerful - the gauntlets and belt are consumed to make Crom Faeyr, which still becomes a +5 weapon, but this then opens up your belt and gauntlet slot for other gear, which you wouldn't be able to wear in tabletop without taking off the gauntlets of ogre power/belt of giant strength, which in turn would make you lose the effect of the whole combination.

You could wear the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization for an extra 1/2 attack, +2 damage and +1thac0 to pump up your damage potential even more, as well as the Belt of Inertial Barrier for it's great defensive boost.

6. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Yes BG2 def makes it better with Crom! Especially because, like you said, it frees up glove and belt slots. It's a shame it can't do the thunder clap though :)
    Doesn't the HoT (when wearing the gauntlets and belt as well) also kill giants as well as it does trolls, ettins, golems? In the non-BG2 pnp games?

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    There's also no mechanism allowing for item set bonuses in IE. It's not impossible to implement but, without an underlying system for it, it's not elegant either.

8. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    You could semi do it like the flail of the ages where instead of building it you combined bonuses??

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.