1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Issue: Game crashing at Silo

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by BruceVC, Feb 1, 2013.

1. BruceVC Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi All
    My first post, sorry to be asking for help

I am currently playing Planescape and have hit a bug in Curst when I try to enter the silo and the game crashes.

This is an issue that is known about and there is a solution, see the link below. I even posted a question on this thread

http://www.gog.com/forum/planescape_torment/stuck_in_a_certain_disc_4_grain_silo

The solution involves using a Hex editor and the Torment.exe file, see below

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/37824-please-report-crashes-here/page-9?p=534474

Now here is my issue, I have downloaded a Hex Editor and opened the Torment.exe file but have no idea how to actually find the 1920x 1080 resolution in the file. Do I search on Hex values in the Torment.exe file? To make it clearer someone with the same issue as me in the same thread posted the following below. But I can't get right what he did, how do I find the strings he mentioned in the Hex? And then once I have found the Hex what values do I replace them with? I know there are people on these forums with advanced and prodigious intellects so hopefully someone can assist

"I've got a Hex editor and I'm trying to apply this fix, but I can't figure it out (I have no knowledge of Hex at all, really). I've opened Torment.exe, searched and found the strings you listed, but I'm a bit confused as to what I'm editing and what I should be editing it to.
    The resolution I'm using is 1920x1080, and I've gone and found out what those are in Hex (0x780 and 0x438 respectively) but I'm a little stuck from there. No idea how to get from those to the XX XX XX etc. format.

Would I be correct in doing this: 1920x1080 - Replace 80 02 with 80 07 and replace E0 01 with 38 04 ??

EDIT:
    Looks like I was, no longer crashing when leaving Mebbeth's Hut."
    Thanks for the fix!

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK from what I gather from those posts, you need to search for the four patterns shown and replace the bolded parts. When you find each of the four patterns (each of the lines that begin with "search:"), you replace 80 02 with 80 07 and E0 01 with 38 04 if you are using 1920x1080 resolution.

I would make a copy of Torment.exe before you try this so that if you do it wrong, you still have the original to fall back on.

BruceVC likes this.
  3. BruceVC Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks Blackthorne, I'll try this and give feedback on the outcome

---------- Added 5 hours, 24 minutes and 36 seconds later... ----------

Just an update, on the same forum I posted there is hotfix that scient posted that automatically does what I was trying to do manually. It works and I can now proceed with Torment :)

---------- Added 0 hours, 0 minutes and 33 seconds later... ----------

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.