1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is this the future of the English language?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Morgoroth, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My initial reaction was that this was ridiculous. But the I got to thinking (a rare occasion for me):

Is this really just another step in the evolution of the English language? After all, just look at the differences between U.K. English and U.S. English (cheques vs. checks, colour vs. color, etc.) – U.S. English tends to be more phonetically-based. So is there really a problem using “txt” instead of “text”? There’s an issue when the focus is on the actual English language (when text-speak isn’t allowed, according to the article), but where the emphasis is on comprehension and problem-solving, I’m not sure I have an issue with it.

Geezer-like attitudes aside. :p

3. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    Makes me ashamed to live in New Zealand...

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What Nataraja said. :geezer: What a nightmare.

5. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    As long as the exams involving spelling, grammar and punctuation marking don't follow suit I really don't have an issue with it. Don't most students have their own form of shorthand which they write notes in anyway? I know I do. It's only a small step to extending a widely recognised shorthand into exam usage.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If the schools aren't going to teach kids to write properly, then who is?

I'm sick of having kids come and work with me who can't write a simple report properly. It's not my job to translate their gibberish into something that is suitable to put in front of the Board of Directors, or to external Analysts.

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I think Splunge has a pretty good point. If speakers of Old and Middle English looked at Modern English, they'd probably throw a fit. I'm hardly inclined to think it's the future of the English, but there's no doubt it's going to evolve -- and evolution doesn't mean better or worse, just change -- over time.

8. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    So you could write: "Teh l33t crusaders roxorzed teh n00b muslms 111!oneone lol." in school? kewl!

9. Harbourboy

There's a difference between "evolving" and "gibberish".

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well said, HB.

There will always be a so-called "language" that only a few people can readily decifer (generally associated with youth). But in the broader context, there are small steps ("evolution") and big steps ("revolution"). There's a big difference between l33t and "words" like "txt".

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Good grief... are there lots of crazy mushrooms growing in NZ? Seems like the language authorities there are certainly in no short supply.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Exactly. Not only is that crap technically a mistake, but it also makes the message not understandable to the reader (i.e. the teacher marking it). As a teacher, I would also find it disrespectful.

13. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I agree in the sense that English is an ever-changing, evolving language and that it has made considerable advancements over the last few centuries or so, but I do believe that there is a such thing as going too far. Isn't the purpose of such "exams" and the required four years of English classes (in Washington, at any rate), to IMPROVE (gasp) our language capabilities? Rather than encouraging an INFERIOR use of language, why not continue along the tried-and-true path of improving the language of students? That would be the logical thing to do, because "text speak," while we all may have been guilty of it at some point in our lives, is inferior in every way to modern English, in that it is not universally understandable and is unspecific in its cases and/or spelling, among other things (proper nouns become simply nouns, etc, leading to some confusion). In short, there is a time and a place to use improper grammer. Exams are not included on this list. And yes, I know my screen-name is text speak. :D

14. Harbourboy

Exactly. Which is also why it is unacceptable in the sort of business documents we produce each day. Which is why kids need to be taught how to write properly.

Nice first post, BlckDeth.

15. Splunge

Media:
    But isn’t that what it’s all about? Proper vs. improper evolves with time. Just like the spelling of “grammer” (your spelling) vs. “grammar” (the so-called “proper” spelling).

16. Harbourboy

Language evolves, but using text based shorthand in official documents is not evolution, it is acclererated genetic mutation. So if we don't want that sort of language in official documents like business reports and newspapers, then kids should be taught to write "correctly" and be tested on that ability in exams.

17. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Nicely put. Official documents (including exams) should have proper spelling and grammar. If this text-speak becomes the officially recognized standard, I guess they've won and they can use it on exams and we'll be going "I remember a time when txt was spelled with a 'e'".

I'm not saying all text speak will become the standard, but considering many kids use it and they will grow up one day and become the worlds leaders, is it really that unthinkable that words like that get into the mainstream way of writing?

And when that day comes, I vote that 'cya' becomes an officially recognized word :1eye:

18. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31

Veteran

"Just like the spelling of “grammer” (your spelling) vs. “grammar” (the so-called “proper” spelling)."

You're exactly right Splunge, but you've solidified my point in being so. By correcting my spelling mistake, you also emphasized that this isn't the place for incorrect spelling/grammar. And you are correct in saying that proper vs. improper (note the shorthand in 'verses'), evolves with time, we shouldn't be taking such drastic actions in a misconstrued attempt to butcher our own language. Anyone who's read Shakespeare could tell you that his language was cumbersome, and his work mirrors the expressions of the time. English today is far more flexible and far LESS onerous to use in everyday speech than it was 200 years ago, and I believe that we're better off because of it. However, that change was brought on by decades and decades of improvement through progressive literature. For while text-speak may be less cumbersome than the accepted English of today, it lacks the flexibility, variety, and strong specifics that've made our language what it is today. Perhaps if we gave it 200 years to pan out, text-speak could turn out to be beneficial, but who has that kind of time? Rash decisions rarely stand the test of time, and I have a feeling that this is destined to be one of those cases.

19. Splunge

Media:
    Thanks for proving my point.

The fact that you don’t know the correct spelling of “grammar” is not much different than knowing the difference between “asked” and “aksd” (pronounced “axed”). But I still know what you’re saying.

The point being is this - the ability to communicate is what’s most important.

20. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31

Veteran

I agree completely: communication is essential for a constructive society to exist. But as for the "grammer/grammar"-- it wasn't so much me not knowing the correct spelling as it was me being too lazy to read over my post after I had written it, and then noticing my mistakes after you pointed one of them out and kicking myself in the head over it (don't you hate that?). ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.