1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is there any reason not to kill NPCs?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Ryvar, May 12, 2006.

1. Ryvar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm about to finish up the Goblin Fortress and leave Targos, and I find myself wondering - is there any reason not to go back and butcher Dereth Springsong and Sabrina Fairwynd? I'm playing on insane difficulty with the double-XP-for-insane-mode mod, so we're talking about a substantial amount of XP here (1800 for him, 3600 for her), as well as some good loot (Studed Leather +1).

So, yeah - once I've sold off all my crap and am sure I'm 100% ready to take off with Oswald, is there any real reason not to butcher those two as well as Emma Moonblade? Maybe Kaitlin Silvertongue, Arte, and the spare villagers while I'm at it? There doesn't seem to really be any reputation stat in the game as far as I can tell, but I could be wrong. My only real interest here is in min/maxing to the absolute limit.

Suggestions welcome.
    --Ryvar

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Just kill them and look at the text if a reputation decrease is displayed.

The fact that no reputation is displayed doesn't mean there is no reputation.

Greeding for XP is useless anyway. Because of the dynamical XP calculation nothing will remain from the gained extra XP some time later.

And Oswald doesn't have to see you attacking villagers to turn red which will finish the game.

In chapter3 you can easily gain enough XP for level 30 by fighting respawning monsters and not levelling up.

But if you have a higher level then, you will get less XP per fight and it will take longer.

If your level is so high that you don't get XP any more for them you can't level up there.

3. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Nope, you can kill any NPCs you want, as long as they aren't plot-critical (eg the NPCs in Targos), you will suffer negative reputation, though they will only affect your Paladin's fallen status (and probably Ranger), and nothing else.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Is there really much of a rep damage to anyone else if you're not a ranger or paladin?

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

You can test it yourself.
    Start the game with a lawful good party with 1,5,9,13,17,20 cha, write down the shop prices and dialogue options, kill until your reputation won't drop anymore and look how shop prices and dialog options are changed.

I also didn't think that anything was affected by reputation in IWD either until my solo F/T killed Emmerich for his bow and shop prices increased.

6. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Uh, where do I see my reputation?

7. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Errrr anyone thought of the « Player Morality » In killing NPCs? I mean c'mon it's pointless and Unmoral.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Just for XP, you kill everything you see? I mean, if your PCs are a whole bunch of evil bastards, OK. But if you have good or even neutral members, yes it is immoral.

Tip:Try killing Orrick the Gray! :shake:

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

You can't see it. Maybe you can check it via cheat console or so.

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    In Targos you can kill the cats and Hedron's mother if you like, just make sure you do that after reporting Loki's death. :evil:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.