1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is there a safe way to get special merchant pack?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Heisenberg, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Heisenberg Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It seems to screw up my game when I install ToB so I am waiting til I am done with SoA. Is there anyway to get the merchant pack? I really want Robe of Vecna.

I also really want the Boots of Speed and Gloves of Dex. What is the easiest way to get them? The boots in particular.

P.S With the spell "Armor" My AC goes down to 0. I bought Bracers of AC 4 but when I put them on my AC only goes to -2. What am I missing?

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you remember my post from a previous thread, there are two general ways to improve armor. Bracers are among the type that set your base AC to a certain value, like chest armor and the Armor spell. They don't stack. Note that while Bracers set your AC to 4, the Armor spell only sets it to 6.

The easiest way to get the Boots of Speed is to finish the Planar Prison quest. If Aerie is in your party she'll start it at some point, otherwise visit the play in one of the taverns in the Bridge District and speak to the performers.

SP Bonus merchants link.

3. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Just so you know the best way to defend your mage against weapons is the stone skin spell (level 4) and it lasts a cool 8 hours. Getting better AC is nice but this spell will protect you a lot more in the long run.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Gauntlets of Dexterity can be found by going to the Temple District, listen to the nutcase speaking and then talk to one of the other priests nearby.

Heisenberg and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Heisenberg Gems: 5/31

Really thats it? Awesome. To get the boots I was thinking of buying a ton of potions of Mastery Thievery and then trying to pick pocket it off a guy I believe is in the Shadow Temple.

6. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That only starts the quest, you'll get the gauntlets around half-way through it.

You mean Renal Bloodscalp? He's in the Shadow Thief Headquarters in the docks. That will only work after you rescue Imoen, and only if you agreed to work with the Shadow Thieves. Properly ordered, it's actually the last possible Boots of Speed you can get in SoA.

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The priests will lead you to a Quest below the Temple District that could lead you to acquiring the Gauntlets of Dexterity... they are well worth the trouble. They increase the AC for Anomen by -4.
    There is also a very good shield, Saving Grace, that is a +4 shield in the same quest. Equiping on Anomen with Gauntlets of Dexterity or Jaheira makes either one a very good Tank with a great AC.

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Be warned, that particular quest can be rather difficult for lower level parties, as it causes you to face off with some rather challenging foes. I won't say what they are, for fear of spoiling the surprise. :)

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    On the other hand there's an item you can buy from one of the special merchants that makes those particular foes a lot easier. The amount and type of enemy depend somewhat on your level too, actually.

10. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Be aware that you won't get the gauntlets of dexterity if you play lawful and solve the quest the straight and honest way.

11. Heisenberg Gems: 5/31

Ok now I am confused. I looked it up and it basically said go to the sewers go down some hold find Ghouls and then kill them. Gloves of Dex are in the pile of bones. Did not even mention a quest.

Here is the link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4548660_obtain-gauntlets-dexterity-baldurs-gate.html

Please anyone?

is this correct?

---------- Added 1 hours, 7 minutes and 53 seconds later... ----------

Is there something I need to do to get the Bonus Merchant Pack to work? I downloaded it and saved it to the same file my BG2 file is. Is the problem I am using an ISO file?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  12. Paracelsi

Media:
    The instructions are accurate but skip everything outside of basic directions. There will be fights on your way there, and they will be brutal. There will be several quest-related encounters and more than a few important decisions to make. The instructions also fail to mention the presence of hidden doors and optional (yet very tempting) encounters. Finally it fails to mention that, technically, you're not even supposed to be able to get the gloves that way - doing so requires you to use a bug exploit.

Bottomline, getting those gloves the first time is nowhere near simple or easy. It's supposed to be much more fun than that, heh. Seriously, there's a lot of good fights/dialogue/history/puzzles on the way. TBH though you'll have an easier time if you get the Boots of Speed from the Planar Prison first.

As for the bonus merchants, simply copy the files to your BG2 "override" folder. There should be specific instructions in the readme that came with it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  13. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I would say that once you get the quest from the priest in the Temple district to investigate this cult, you just follow where the quest points you and you get there automatically. Sure, you'd need to explore a bit outside of the direct path, but not a lot. I've never failed to get these gauntlets anyway, even if I don't know exactly where they are. Unless I'm just going through the game as fast as possible, in which case I would skip this quest entirely.

And yes, just copy the bonus merchant files into your override folder, as Paracelsi suggests.

14. Myrkul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

There is also another pair of boots of speed if you find Haer'Dalis who is an NPC in the sewers of temple district and help him do his quest.

15. Paracelsi

Media:
    Those are the boots I meant, the ones that are part of the Planar Prison quest. The next two won't be available until after you save Imoen.

16. henkie

Media:
    I never realised that Renal could also drop a pair of boots of speed. I did always lift the ring of regeneration off of the guy in the Adventurer's Mart (I forget his name).

17. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Combine them both and add a mirror image. Armor means that your stoneskin will last longer as your mage will take fewer hits. Ditto for mirror image. I consider stoneskin a last-ditch defense for my squishy mages. The best defense for a plain mage is not to be there in melee to get hit. Let your summons take the fall for you. A fighter/mage however needs the mirror image, blur, and armor spells. A summoned pet to go in first and take a beating for you is also helpful.

18. grommitt Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

19. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You're welcome

20. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just as a comment, according to Dan Simpson's FAQ, you can use the console to create the merchants, then when you're done with your current game you can add them in using the patches on site.

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("wmart1")
    CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("wmart2")

It should work, since the mod available on SP only contains two .bcs files and doesn't appear to contain the actual items or characters in it.

Make the merchants in your stronghold or wherever you want.

---------- Added 14 hours, 37 minutes and 54 seconds later... ----------

I just reread your first post, and should point out that you should have installed Throne of Bhaal, then the official patch, THEN the merchant pack. You should not have installed the pack before ToB unless you had no plans to use ToB.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.