1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is there a patch for Sharwyn to make her stop wasting spells/songs?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Aug 23, 2009.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Having lost my old saved games, I started anew.

I decided to take Sharwyn with me to Blacklake. However, in that hostile area between the Core and the actual district, Sharwyn kept using her Bard Song for those effortless encounters with the dogs & rioters, and ran out of charges by the time I faced the boss Loxar when I could have used it. Ditto for the ambush by the assassins near the gate. She paid the ultimate price for her foolishness.

I checked the tactics options, but there was nothing about her song in that list. Is there a patch out there that will give me more options for controlling her? Or something that will include her Bard Song as things toggled by that option to "toggle spell-casting"? The Bard Song is a spell-like ability.

I've tried searching, but I can't find anything for just Sharwyn or just the henchmen.

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Patch? no. I remember there was a mod that modified henchmen behaviour but I don't think I used it (I eventually just dropped the henchmen and played solo - far easier and less of a headache!). It was called something like "Henchmen Inventory and AI" and it allowed you to access their inventory in the OC, as well as presumably change their AI to something less irritating. I don't know if there are other mods that do this as well or even if this is what you're looking for, but it may be worth a shot.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I was hoping for something to make her just use her sword and/or bow in combat until I hit the "toggle spell-casting" button, at which point she'll cast her spells and sing her songs. It wouldn't be an issue if bard songs had infinite usage like the way they implemented it in IWD2. In short, I want her to conserve her limited charge resources until they are needed, instead of blowing them on the canon fodder. At least it's not consumable resources that I have to foot the bill for that they use up.

4. Ziad

Media:
    OK I see, you just want an AI tweak. I don't think anyone made such a tweak, the closest thing is the henchmen mod I mentioned, although to be honest I don't think it does what you're looking for, as you're looking for a much more subtle fix. It's worth trying it at least. It's here if you want it.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The ultimate patch is to take Grimgnaw or Daelan. Get her item then just before you finish the chapter have her join you -- you talk, you schmooze, you party, she gives you a trinket and then you dump her until the next chapter. Do that with everyone.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yeah, I used T2's "patch" when I played this game. I found the hirelings' implementation to be so pathetic that I avoided the offensive spell chuckers as a complete waste of time.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    For that AI tweak, can I only install the Henchman AI improvement, or does it automatically make the monsters smarter too? I don't want anything remotely like the Baldur's Gate Tactics mod until I get more used to NWN (I'm not that fond of it in BG, I've uninstalled it) . If I can limit it to just the henchmen, that would be fine.

8. Ziad

Media:
    I don't think it changes enemy AI (only the 6 OC henchmen), and anyway it mentions that you can pick and choose which options to use, so even if it does you can always opt out of that particular option.

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    From the very first paragraph of the description from the link posted above:
    This highly configurable modification of NWN improves the intelligence of friends and foes, both inside and outside battle.

I'll give it a shot when I get home. My mom just got out of the hospital (again) on Friday, but she's still weak and sick. I'm spending the weekend at her place and she is most definitely NOT a computer gamer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.