1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is there a guide for AC and bonus stacking?

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by uglijimus, Aug 28, 2012.

1. uglijimus Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

for various reason, I stopped playing this game about a year and a half ago. I'm thinking about getting back into it but I am confused about bonuses and AC and how they stack (or don't) depending on items.

Before I stopped last year, I was becoming agitated on how I couldn't figure out why sometimes wearing 2 different items may stack AC bonuses but others would not. Same thing with ability bonuses.

I stripped all of my characters of all their items, placed them in their inventory and decided to refit them based on efficiency of the items' bonuses after figuring out the bonuses. I've written them all down on a piece a paper and decided I would figure it out on paper so when I actually start playing the game I could just give the items to the appropriate characters.

Are there any guides out there showing how certain items' bonuses stack i.e. a shield and platemail, etc.?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dan Simpson's 3rd Edition D&D FAQ is good. It may be here on SP but if not you can find it on gamefaqs in the Pools of Radience FAQ section.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  4. uglijimus Gems: 6/31

thanks guys!

so I can assume this will apply to PoR as well, not just IWD2?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, it applies to IWD2, NWN and PoR2.

6. uglijimus Gems: 6/31

I'm sorry I didn't make it clearer; I meant does PoR actually honor the 3rd edition rules? There are no bugs that let you stack bonuses when you are not supposed to etc?

7. ZalmanP Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Media:
    I haven't run into any AC exploits yet. As far as I know, PoR honors most 3rd edition rules, but there are some exceptions. I think my Cleric/Fighter/Rogue has 31 AC with Shield of Faith active now.

uglijimus likes this.
  8. uglijimus Gems: 6/31

thanks, are you still playing it currently?

9. ZalmanP Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Media:
    Yes I am. I'm soloing it as a Cleric.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.