1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is the Tide Turning?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Chandos the Red, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Just a short few weeks ago Bush II looked invincible: Polls showed that a Democrat could not even touch him. The media toads were still fawning over Shrub and his "War on Terror" as the lead in for almost every political story. The Orange Alert was on, then yellow, pink, green or whatever this nonsense is supposed to mean to the average American. A lady quipped to me at the height of all the alerts: "What does Bush want me to do, lock myself in my house?" Flights were cancelled, people were being "shaken down" at airports, panic attacks were everywhere.

Then there was Dean - the angry outsider who was rallying Dems, but could never be elected because he wasn't "mainstream" enough for mainstreet. The rest of the Dems were all fading because there was not a contender amongest them.

What a difference a few weeks can make. Suddenly the media is focused on the American political system. It suddenly realized that people actually vote in this country and that a large portion of them were not as entralled with the current prez as the media was. Here are a few new links that show that the media is starting to wake up to the fact that there is an election about to happen, and that the American people are going to have something to say about it.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4013019/
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4012324/
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4002315/

There's still lots of good news out there for the Bushies and their man: He is still fairly strong in the polls as far as overall approval rating, between 55-59 percent depending on whom one cares to believe. And there is the "national security" issue, which favors him. And, for some strange reason, a large portion of Americans believe that he has personal "character." Yeah, right.

But finally, there is just a hint, a small hint, that there could be trouble in Shrub Land.

[ January 21, 2004, 07:48: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    To quote myself:

There's plenty of time for Bush to lose.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Personally, I would think that the Dems best shot would be a Kerry-Clark combined ticket. A war hero and a general would be tough to beat.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Who knows, look at the PR boost Saddam's capture gave Bush. Maybe he can show up Bin Laden's head right in time before the elections - they will clearly aim on that.

5. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The link about the polling is interesting. However, as Grey pointed out once a while ago (and I thought it was a very good point), the foggy "some other candidate" always seems to do better than a real candidate who has warts.

The poll is between Bush and "some other candidate" essentially. The night of the Iowa caucus the polling showed a hypothetical race between Bush and Kerry as having Bush ahead by 13 points. I think the candidate vs. candidate polling may be more accurate.

I kind of think the tide turned a while back. I've seen some say that Bush is losing his support. I'm not sure that is a full picture. Rather, what I think is happening, is that Bush received an artificial surge of support due to events beyond his control and that artificial support (those who said they supported him because they felt that was the right thing to do in a time of conflict but who probably weren't supportive of him before and were unlikely to be in the future)has dwindled.

I think we're back close to where we started when he took office - a fairly split nation.

One thing to be concerned with if you'd rather Bush lose is that even in the linked article about polling above Bush still has a high favorable rating.

As far as which candidate polls the best against Bush, I believe it is Clark. But that may just be because the public is still largely unfamiliar with him. The DLC supports him so perhaps they can slick him up enought to avoid the problems that will arise upon closer scrutiny but I have my doubts.

6. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think it all hinges on Iraq. If we lose a couple hundred more soldiers between now and November adn the country STILL appears no safer(and Shrub doesn't have Bin Laden's head on a platter) he will likely have problems.

I also think that each side has it's irrational "core" of supporters. On the republican end we have those who hate and blame Clinton for everything that has ever happened to them and they have no idea why(*cough*propaghanda*cough*) and on the dems side you have the "Bush Sr. with his CIA connections + Shrub knew about 9/11 conspiracy theorists. Each of these factions is firmly entrenched and pretty much for all the wrong reasons.
    It's, sadly, the wishy-washy, vote-according-to the-current-trend-of-the media crowd who will ultimately decide how things go and they will not have much idea why they decide what they decide.

The odd man out will be the minority of informned voters, leaning left or right, who understand the issues but do not possess the numbers to make much difference.

7. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

True, true...the bad news for Bush is that (unless he finds a warhead) only bad news can come out of Iraq between now and November.

That, and the lesson of the Iowa caucases is that Iraq isn't the number one issue for voters...or for Iowa voters, at any rate.

[ January 21, 2004, 20:15: Message edited by: Gonzago ]

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @RQ

You are absolutely correct. About 1/3 of the population will vote for the democrat, no matter what, and about 1/3 of the population will vote for Bush, no matter what. It's the moderates in the middle that decide virtually every election. That is exactly the reason why Dean is a poor choice for the democratic ticket - he won't win the moderate vote.

9. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Perversely, Aldeth, it's more like 1/4 voting Republican, 1/4 voting Democratic, and 1/2 staying home. I think that was part of Dean's appeal - that he would fire up those people who would prefer to spend election day with a TV remote instead of a vote.

Anyway, methinks Laches has it right:

'Course, Bush baaaaaarely squeaked past a candidate who had all the advantages of incumbency, an easier primary, the support of a popular president, a strong economy, several inches of height, and way more experience. (I think all Bush had in his favor was, ironically, a better education.) Are any of the current Democratic candidates going to bring those advantages to the table?

But I predict another squeaker.

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    But a media that hated Gore, and adored Bush, as it still does.

11. Laches Gems: 19/31

Elsewhere, Roup on another forum wrote:

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Have no idea who Roup is, nor which forum, nor the context in which this post was created.

So, your point would be?

13. Laches Gems: 19/31

If you don't see the substance of the post (the numbers) as being at all relevant, *shrug, so be it.

[ January 23, 2004, 04:00: Message edited by: Laches ]

14. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

If somehow Bush DOES get Bin Laden's head on a platter before the election, the Dems would have a very hard time of it -- unfortunately. That would be the coup de grace that would assure him of victory I believe.

15. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

And Laches post mentions Bush's popularity. His popularity is as low as it was before 9/11. So that info sounds pretty much out of date.

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Laches - I did not say that it was or wasn't. But I'm only asking: who posted it and where I can find the orginal post? If I did not think it mattered, I would not have asked for more info.

17. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    More on the turning of the tide...some interesting facts about the New Hampshire primaries.

http://www.thenation.com/thebeat/index.mhtml?bid=1&pid=1221

Even a significant number of Republicans are turning on him. If Republicans - even the moderate to left leaning ones - would rather vote for a Democrat than see Bush get 4 more years, that should really tell you something.

Turning tide indeed.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @GM - you're right - only about half the people of voting age in our country vote. What I was implying was of those people who DO vote in any given election, the name on the ballot doesn't matter - only the party name under the person's name. Sad to say, but 1/3 of the people will always vote Democrat and 1/3 will always vote Republican, regardless of who that party is actually supporting. That's why it's nearly impossible to get even 60% of the popular vote in any given election, and similarly nearly impossible to get less than 40% of the popular vote in any given election.

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    [​IMG] Kerry tops Bush in new poll. Shrub is really starting to crumble, although maybe as a result of how the Dems have been blasting him for the last few months. After the conventions the results may change. Once it gets one-on-one between Kerry and Shrub the situation could be different. Still, Kerry has his chance. But the public has really done a fast turnaround, since the capture of Saddam just a short time ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-02-03-bush-kerry-poll_x.htm

The downside is that this really hurts Dean. He is all but finished, since the "anyone but Bush" slogan has started with the Dems and half the country. IMO, Dean carries an important message, although conservatives and neocons may disagee.

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Kerry would be fine with me. He had the guts and spine to stand up against the war - and that in times of "When you're anti-war you're a terrorists yourself!". To get a glimpse on just how hard that was - here the experience of canadian journalist Eric Margolis who had the nerve to spoil the war fever by saying there are no WMD in Iraq. Kerry deserves respect for his courageous stance against the Iraq war.

IMO Kerry is probably better than Dean who's too much a hawk on Israel for my taste (but who'd probably be a decent president still) and who didn't dare to be anti-war. Kerry and Dean both are definitely better than psycho "I wanted war with Russia during Kosovo war"* Clark, not to mention "I need advice" Bush.
    I yesterday read a Clark speach and found myself waiting for words like "Blitzkrieg", "Annihilate" and "Destroy" *shudder* I don't trust him. He has crazy eyes.

* British General Sir Michael Jackson, fortunately, refused to carry out Clarks order to attack uninvited (by NATO) Russian peacekeepers when they landed in Kosovo.
    Check: http://www.guardian.co.uk/Kosovo/Story/0,2763,208120,00.html

EDIT: I resist the temptation to rewrite my post in an Orwellian way :shake:

[ February 03, 2004, 19:06: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.