1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is my char too overpowered?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by lulzboat, Feb 11, 2013.

1. lulzboat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi,
    I have finished Bg2 twice with acrher and monk,without cheats, long time ago
    I decided to make Inqisitor this time with few SK cheats
    Skills: 2h swords: 5 stars, 2h weapons: 1 star (i dont have Grandmaster mod)
    Stats: str:18/00, dex:18,con:18, int:14,wis:14, cha:3
    Aligment changed to chaotic-neutral

I will not wear helmets and maybe limit gear somehow, maybe will use some cursed items

I have tested him in start dungeon and was able to solo it till group of mephits who guarding djinn , they start killing me

Can I have problems with paladin quests because of alignment and charisma change?

And can paladins make love with Viconia?

(its not solo, core difficulty)

2. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

No, your character isn't overpowered. In fact, its a bit weaker than a character that was imported from BG1 after using the tomes to boost Str, Dex, and Con to 19.

Grandmastery is pretty much pointless without the mod to unnerf it.

Charisma doesn't matter for really anything other than the shop price discount, and there's the charisma ring that sets it to 18 for that.

I think a paladin will romance Viconia, but I am not 100% sure. I don't think there is a class restriction on romances. I think there is only a race restriction. Viconia won't romance an elf, since elves and drow are natural enemies of each other.

3. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    IMO if the game is still fun for you then your character isn't overpowered. Sometimes people want to have foes explode and other times people want to feel like they just got through a major challenge. So if you like it (depending on which you're aiming for) then it isn't a problem.

Alignment may give you an odd familiar if you play (cheat) with the game to get one.

Pallies can Romance Viccy-I have done it myself.

Possible Spoiler

If you keep her low enough level heading into ToB and have certain conversations with her before leveling her up then you can get her to carry around a symbol of Helm.

You may have trouble with your alignment if you want to push Sarevok in a better direction in ToB.

Also you may have trouble with (getting, using, or maybe both) one of the swords intended for Paladins.

EDIT: Apologies if I went too far into the storyline-when I first answered I thought of this as a run through for the whole storyline starting in and post Amn.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes. All the abilities of an inquisitor with none of the restrictions ... sounds overpowered to me. But knock yourself out and enjoy the game.

5. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31

Veteran

The Purifier paladin sword found in Watcher's Keep requires you to be lawful good to obtain it. Although any lawful good character can click on the statue to obtain it. It doesn't have to be the paladin himself who clicks the statue.

The Purifier and Carosymr both only have a restriction to be usable by paladins. Alignment should not matter for actually wielding it since it should only check the class and not the alignment.

How so? The only real difference is the neutral alignment (which is fairly meaningless anyway) and grandmastery (which is also meaningless without the unnerf mod). He still has all the restrictions of an inquistor such as no spell casting, no turn undead, and such.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You made yourself a fighter that can cast uber-dispels and use Carsomyr ... now why anyone think that was an overpowered character? Perhaps you can also SK in kensai bonuses or berserking rage. Backstabs might be nice.

7. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31

Veteran

How is that any different from any other inquisitor? The only two real differences between the topic creator's inquisitor and a regular inquisitor is the alignment change and grandmastery. Alignment is meaningless, and grandmastery isn't a substantial improvement over specialized unless you use the unnerf mod.

Its not even close to being overpowered at all. Like I mentioned previously, a BG1 imported character with the tomes could have 19 Str, Dex, and Con, and that would be more powerful than the topic creator's character.

8. T2Bruno

Media:
    Alignment isn't meaningless for a paladin. The difference between 19 strength and 18-00 is +1 damage. There is no difference for a paladin between 19 and 18 dex -- and there's only 9 hit points difference for 19 and 18 con. These are minor.

Playing an any alignment paladin is big -- no restrictions for your choices because you don't have to play LG. You don't have to worry about reputation. The harsh alignment restriction is a main part of why a paladin isn't overpowered. A fallen paladin is pretty weak.

9. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31

Veteran

Alignment doesn't mean you have to do certain conversation paths at all. You can do all the bloodthirsty killer conversations and it won't affect your alignment at all. Your alignment never changes due to your conversation choices. The only time alignment ever changes is if you take the evil path in the hell trials at the end of SoA.

Reputation is not connected to alignment. You can be chaotic evil and still have a perfect 20 reputation score. Or you can be lawful good and have a 1 reputation score.

You only become a fallen paladin if your reputation drops below a certain score. Alignment does not affect the fallen status. You murder an innocent civilian and you become fallen because your reputation drops, but your alignment stays the same.

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There are other considerations as well. for ex...a non-good paladin can now use items that are banned from good-aligned characters.

I wonder how the stronghold would play out?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.