1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it worth the Money$$?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Mathetais, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I'm pretty much burned out on BG2, and someone on the board there recommended I go buy Planetscape Torment.

I haven't heard much about it yet, so I figured I'd go to the source and find out if its worth it.

Can anyone convince me that it's worth shelling out $40-$50? I'm open to change, but cheap!

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] It's definitely worth the money. Search for some of the topics that were posted here previously, I'm pretty sure we've discussed it already.
    And another fine thing about it is that since the game has been released quite some time ago, the price has dropped accordingly. Amazon.com has it for 20 bucks. And it's definitely worth THAT.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00002EPZ2/ref=ase_sorcerersplace/107-21655 35-6420551

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 06, 2001).]

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Thanks Tal. One more lame question . . . is this a stand alone game or an expansion pack?

You can close this thread after you answer ;)

4. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It's a standalone game and a bit different to the BG and IWD games. It's set in the Planescape universe which has a more alien feel to it. It's still 'olde worlde' but there is some technology and more of a sci-fi feel. However, this alien feel actually adds to the storyline as your main character has no memory at the start of the game so everything is new to him just like it is to you!

There is also slightly less emphasis on combat than in the other games but the storyline is much stronger. I was so impressed I actually downloaded the book that someone has produced based almost exclusively on the dialogue in the game. I think it feels a bit more adult than the other games and has a darker atmosphere (and humour). There are a few other differences such as the interface panel and the way your character progresses but, if you liked the other BG & IWD games you'll enjoy Planescape. If you also enjoy a good story, you'll love it. In fact there are many people on this site that think it's the best of the lot.

And as Tal said, it's now available at a budget price so go and get it.

To get a feel for the Planescape universe look here:
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnD_PS.asp

To download the book I mentioned (which you shouldn't read until after playing the game) look here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/index_tips.php

For a review try here:
    http://www.pcgamer.co.uk/games/gamefile_review_page.asp?item_id=2110

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2017
  5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Thanks! It is on its way from the Great God AMAZON!

Now give me a good month, and expect a list of semi-stupid questions.

6. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I love this game! Great dialouge, nice graphics, awesomely cool NPCs....did I say I love this game?

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I love Ravel.

8. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you live anyway near Denmark, you might stumble upon a package containing Baldurs Gate, Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment. The price is 100 DKR, which equals about 10£ or 12$. Ofcourse you might find this in any other country, I'm just referring to the price where I live.

P.s. This is a reply I made on the Bg2 boards.

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31

I live in Croatia and don't have a passport. Can you...

Never mind, I'll call my cousin Stewie the Pirate.

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Ahem, just kidding...

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited April 11, 2001).]

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Amazon just dropped it off on my doorstep. I can't wait to get off work so I can boot it up!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31

If you have any question about this game, don't be shy and post it here. It's really complexed and walkthru's you can find on net don't cover every single situation.

I'm thinking on writing a new one...

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Please do. This game is bizzar!!!

Right now I'm just beginning to walk around the Hive. I'm looking for a fake dustman, getting sent back to the tomb by thugs, and feeling sorry for myself b/c I can't afford any cool tattoos!

I looks like this game moves real slow. Good thing I'm the patient sort!

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31

You don't need tattoos for now. And later you'll see better tattoos to purchase so keep the money (wait until Annah join the party willya?)

15. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] You can get Planescape in the US for $20 I'm pretty sure. I plan to pick it up pretty soon myself, but I don't have a lot of time for it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.