1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it worth my money?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Mr Writer, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I have read through Earl Grey's post and this has made me wonder, what are most people here's experience of it?

If I could only buy one game, NWN or Morrowind which should it be and why.

If the toolset as good as it seems, how good is the single player is the story more BG or IWD?

And other such questions

2. Sekhmentet Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ouchie, tough question.
    I played both. Morrowind is real sweet. Some sweet textures, Npcs look kinda weird but you get used to it, and the world is huge.. and I mean it. More than huge even. You could spend about 300hours on it without having done half the side quests. If you follow the main quest only count something like 150-200 hours.
    But real sweet game. Unfortunately the fights aren't really thrilling: hack-slash-hack-slah-hack-slash-cast spell-hack-slash etc... But the quests are real nice. You can become for example guildleader. Gives quite a personality to your character and is very good for your ego ;) unfortunately, the world is really too big. And travelling becomes a bit of a pain eventually.

Nwn? Well, sweet as well, nice graphics (not awesome but still nice for a full 3d)... Not sure how good the multiplayer is, but blizzard is likely to bring many various add-ons. So may be worth it. But I've been quite disapointed by the lack of depth your character has (unlike the BG++ series). Fights are nice, but if you don't play a fighting class (warrior, barb, ranger.. rogue) it's likely to be boring during the first levels. And well... there only are 4 chapters.. I'm in the middle of Chap3 and zzzz, I'm afraid it's always the same. You collect tons of toys you hand to various NPCs and to thank you they give you... gold. [Amazing, I've never seen that before. By the end of chapter2, I had about 450k gold in my purse (now don't ask how I could even manage to hold that much without being barely able to move). And I don't really see the interest of it.] You don't get any 'official' title (like Lord, Baron or whatever) that would make you feel your character is special. Your just a hero amongst other heroes. You're no guildmaster, you don't own a castle or even a crappy farm etc... So, I'm slowly getting a bit disapointed by Nwn.

Now if I had to choose between Nwn and Morrowind.. hmm... hmm... huhhhh... Well, give a try to Nwn. The add-ons and the multiplayer may bring you something you'll never find in Morrowind. But do not expect TOO much from the solo part.

Hope that helps ;)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] And yes, the toolset is as good as it seems, but there are some module corruption issues that need to be solved before I'd try making anything...

4. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I haven't played Morrowind, so I can't really compare them, but I'm certainly willing to share my NWN experience so far ;)

First off, the single player game is all right. It's a good way to learn the interface and the 'ins-and-outs' of how NWN works. The story is decent, although not great. But I do see it as only an introduction to NWN.

The real strength of the game is its versatility. While it's true that the sinlge player component doesn't really allow you to develop your character's personality, when you switch to the multiplayer game, and begin interacting with other players (and DMs) online the possibilities for character development are virtually limitless. In other CRPGs, your character's personality is limited by dialogue options and a series of pre-determined actions during quests. When you consider the use of an actual DM, you say what your character *wants* to say, rather than selecting from a set group of choices. In terms of how you handle quests, again, there are potentially no limits.

With the toolset, there are very few bounds on what can be done with the game. Once people have made their way through the single player component, they'll quickly turn to multiplayer. In another month or two, there will be hundreds of custom-made modules available, some good, and many of them mediocre. And the persistent worlds like ALFA will begin to take off. I think that is where the real strength of NWN is.

5. ctl-alt-del Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I have both. Heck I built my new system so I could play Morrowind. I base the value of a game on the hours of fun versus price. For my base price of fun I use movies...see a matinee ticket costs $4.50 for lets say a 2 hour movie, that's $2.25 an hour. So far I've played Morrowind for at least 30 hours of gameplay and been having a blast...so that's paid for itself. I've been playing NWN for 15 hours and it's been great so that's almost paid for itself. Also my cohorts at work tend to get most games...lets just say they get them at a bargain price from the net. If i'm not sure of a game i will get a 'demo' version. If i like it, i buy it...too bad Blockbuster's doesn't carry PC Games. You could rent them and if you like them just buy them later.

Now NWN has great potential. RPG-ing online with a group of friends without pen\paper and dice is great. I will be setting up a NWN server at my private office where me and my six buddies can get together and have some good 'ol RPG fun 2002 style.

Now there are some bugs and issues but I think the NWN Devs will have things working fine very shortly.

And as for graphics with NWN well the last graphics i had for D&D were little 3inch pewter figures...=)

6. And I would like to add my multiplayer experience. We were 4 persons, me as a DM and a friend of mine had just made a dungeon module (a typical one) They started from level 1 and while they were making their characters I went around and put items and small treasures in chests I made.. They joined and I apperead in front of them, telling them a story I just made up. They found a couple of small weaponry I had put close to their starting point and the first encounter came.

A hour later they had checked half of the dungeon, died a couple of times, found some +1 weapons and disabled a couple of traps. Meanwhile I had rebuild the dungeon, with more powerful enemies. I wanted to play with them a little bit and created a level 17 lich and possesed it. Great fun. Now were they like 10-14 and they should have the big finale, they got into a big area with many traps a couple of demons.

They now had some +2 things and I appeared infront of them and said they would never make it out of here. I then took a Black dragon, a couple of Balors and a 27 lich.

Must be the best fight I have ever seen in NWN, with sunbeams, finger of deaths and wierd playing with each other it looked beatiful. And it was awesome that it ran perfect on my little puter. The dragon fell to the ground and the balors was long gone. I gave them a couple of unique weapons (custom made) and then everything was done.

This must be the best multiplayer experience I have ever tried (beats old p&p), and for sure, the longest post ever ;)

I can highly recommend it but it isn't that funny with complete strangers. Do it with your P&P pals I have to say that Bioware have done it again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.