1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it possible to kill Sarevok at the palace?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by w.d., Nov 17, 2005.

1. w.d. Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I never really "tried".. but I would like to know if it's at all possible, or is he invincible at that point.

[ November 17, 2005, 16:07: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Technically, yes; realistically, not a chance.

The Sarevok you face there has 999HP, and AC of -20 (like Drizzt), 9atks/rd, and a THAC0 of 6. Combine that with 100% resistance to: magic, fire, cold, electricity, acid, magical fire, and magical cold. He's also 50% resistant to all physical damage.

So basically, if you can do 2000 damage worth of non-critical criticals (he has a helmet) before Winski spirits him away, then you could do it. :shake:

3. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

a few Scrolls of lower resistance, followed by a finger of death? That should do the trick, no?
    Well, his saves are insane too i suppose?

Anyway, it would mess up the story eh? :p

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

WTF? What BG game are you playing, Thor? :confused:

5. Thor Gems: 10/31

The same as you i would suppose? Can't you get any of them? I've only played it once, so excuse my ignorance :heh:

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

No, they aren't in the game. Only in BG2, if memory serves.

7. w.d. Gems: 4/31

hmm, yes that's what I wanted to know, I didnt mean killing him with a legit party, I realised that's impossible...
    I guess it could be easier to just check what he has with an editor of some sort (I know I sound like lamer, well I am), instead of finding a way to kill him.
    anyway, to the point - what items does he have? does anyone know? (u'll save me a tonn of time :) )

8. Felinoid

Actually, it seems I was wrong; he doesn't have a helmet. :o What he does have is Full Plate +1, a Ring of Protection +2, and an undroppable Two-handed Sword +5. :eek:

9. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

While first it was funny for me as a modder to see what items these creatures in the game have (undroppable invisible rings which give mirror image etc. etc.), I now find it a trite thing when in these gaming forums, the players themselves, mention them. It has become a fashion, almost. As a player you are supposed to see what happens in the game, and believe that... and Sarevok does have a helmet. It can be seen in the intro too. (Yes, as an item he is not wearing any helmet, but this is not important!). He also has a sword, because it can be seen in his hand. (And it is absolutely no matter that he is not wielding an item with Sword proficiency). :) (I am speaking generally and to everyone, Felinoid, your post only reminded me to this :) )

10. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I agree with Baronius - whatever the file is equipped with for the particular combat is less important than what the developers intend you to think.

11. Felinoid

I agree with the both of you, but w.d. asked a question and I answered it. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if creatures that weren't supposed to be killed didn't have any items at all. ...Well, you'd need one undroppable for attacking, but the rest of the effects could be applied either to that or the creature directly.

12. w.d. Gems: 4/31

lol, baronius is in support of the rping and hates items that drive the player...
    havent you done it all already?

13. DCD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The easiest way is to ForceSpell Tethtoril's Diety Kill when you see Sarevok. That always frys him.

14. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I don't understand this beginning from the "and..." part. I don't hate any items...what I think is perfectly summarized by Andyr.

15. w.d. Gems: 4/31

ops.. yeah I think I went too far with that one..
    tho he should at least be using a slashing damage type item... if he looks like he's using a sword...

16. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Forcespell tethtoril what? How do you do that?

17. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Sounds like CTRL + Y

18. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31

For starters, your game propably crashes whenever you "succeed" in killing Sarevok in the palace, because it is never meant to.

19. DCD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Major necromancy here, I don't think anyone would care for a three+ year old topic, but I've discovered the solution to the OP's problem.

To kill Sarevok at the palace,

1. As the Greater Dopplegangers appear, use one of your party mages to encase BELT in an Otiluke's Resilient Sphere.
    2. Have your main character slip by everyone and go upstairs/downstairs in the Duchal Palace.
    3. Use fireballs or something to slay all of the dopplegangers and Liia Jannath.
    4. Because Liia has died, Winski will appear and use the flamestrike; however, I've discovered that for some reason the instant-death command isn't activated at this point, but I have yet to deduce why.
    5. Winski will remain in the room. Once Belt is freed and has talked to you, Sarevok will go hostile but since Winski's script is broken, Sarevok's won't trigger and he'll remain hostile for the whole session.
    6. You can then attempt to kill him; it took several tries with my wizard squad, including several replacements of characters. In the end, I don't recommend killing him because the game won't go into cutscene mode and end, though the endgame script will still trigger.

Trminator likes this.
  20. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Took you three years but damn it you found a solution :p.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.