1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it me, or....?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Tronak el Karbaro, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

How many of you consider Diablo and Diablo II RPGs? they look more like Gauntlet than otherwise. I think they are more fantasy-based arcades. So, if Single Player NWN seems to be a little "Diablesque", don't you think they have more of an arcade than of a RPG? of course, if multi-played, it becomes a full and very interesting RPG, althought I think it's still inferior to BG.

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

That is hardly a fair comparison. Diablo 2 has very little in the way of plot and next to nothing other than combat and "l33tness."

I spent much more time exploring and talking with NPCs than fighting in either the OC or SoU. In fact, I'd say that there is more in the way of hack-and-slash gameplay in BG2 than in NWN.

I'll agree with you that Diablo is not an RPG, as with your statement that BG2 is a better game. However, I found NWN to be much deeper than the Diablo or Dungeon Siege series.

3. konny666 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

single-player NWN is "diablesque" if you only consider the first OC, and presumably if you only played through as a fighter (or any other brain-dead melee class).

while there may have been some disagreement as to whether the first OC was an "RPG", the two XP's were both definitely RPGs. and there are user-made mods out there which can make BG2 blush (almost!).

as for diablo, i never played D2, i played D1 at a friend's house for about 30 minutes and got sick of it.

you can't compare multi-player NWN to BG2 since one is a scripted single-player full-party control adventure, while the other is run by HUMANS and thus has limitless potential.

oh, and I was weaned on 1st edition AD&D and the SSI Gold Box games like Curse of the Azure Bonds and Pool of Radiance. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. :)

4. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I for one don't find Diablo a traditional RPG. It's too lineair. No offense, but I adore BG2 & even ID2 and all other stuff, but I can't play D2 for more than 5 minutes. It's probably just me, but I dislike the genre. Just like Belgiums very own ;) Divine Divinity, which ressembled Diablo. I played it for some time, and it is arguebly an RPG however, the dialogues are well done and all, so I found it an enjoyable play, though not specifically an experience like BG2. But that's my opinion.

[ May 07, 2004, 16:16: Message edited by: Nizidramanii'yt ]

5. Largon Thunderhorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You aren't the only one. The Diablo games were boring to me also.

6. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Boring like hell. But NWN is far from a Diablo game.

Of course, you CAN play it like one. But it goes far deeper than that. Diablo is more a casual game. I don't see anyone get 'hardcore' with D2...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.