1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Imoen really needed?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Sevanhya, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Sevanhya Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I know that she is your half sister and you need to rescue her from Spell Hold, but is she really needed for the story line? She has to give up her essence of Baahl.

I have picked up Neera, and I am finding her very funny. I also have swapped out Jan fir Nalia, she whines just way too much, and the combo of mage thief later on will be pretty wicked.

So right now my party is:
    Fighter/Thief...
    Minsc: Ranger
    Kheldorn: Paladin with Holy Avenger
    Aerie: cleric/mage
    Jan: mage/thief
    Neera: Wild Mage.

I like Imoen, but Neera just seems like quite a bit of fun. This is the first time I have played the game in about 6 years.

Her wild surges seem like fun. It was great getting a Globe if Invulnerbility around my character. I know that there will be times I will have to reload after I lose all my gold, become a woman or other things, but for the most part it gives the game a bit of fun.

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Imoen is not needed to complete the game at all, though she does offer some plot-exposition interactions when you do take her along.
    I would advice going to spellhold with a party of only 5 people OR to take along Yoshimo, since if your party is full you will have no other option to dump either imoen or one of your curent partry members there without the option of getting them back.

The reason you can take yoshimo with you in a 6man party and still keep imoen is
    because he will die during your stay on spellhold, regardless of what you do - opening a spot for imoen to travel along with you.

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As much as I love the little guy I'd say drop Jan for Yoshi. You already have 2 other arcane casters and you have the thief covered so Jan is just taking up a spot you could use for Imoen once you get her back.

4. Sevanhya Gems: 3/31

As much as I hate dropping Jan, I think I will drop him, just long enough to get back from Spellhold. Once back, I will replace Imoen with him. Being able to use any item, back stabs, along with the traps he can set will I think more than off set the slight level drop of caster level. I would like to drop Neera, but I don't want to interrupt the romance option there.

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    No. You don't even have to take her out of Spellhold if you don't mind being guilt tripped (she finds her own way out anyway).

6. Sevanhya Gems: 3/31

Ah okay, I thought maybe if you didn't get her out of Spellhold she would not be available in T.O.B..

7. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    I'd really advice you to take yoshimo along - certain circumstances will allow you to take along imoen that way even with a 6-man party if you take him along - it will also net you a great deal of experience (200,000 XP in fact) once you get back to amn after spellhold.
    After yoshimo has died you can loot his heart from the corpse - you can earn the experience by bringing yoshimo's heart to a priest of ilmater in the slums district.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You don't need her in ToB either. Plenty of better choices.

9. Sevanhya Gems: 3/31

I am pretty sure that Yoshimo is always in Spellhold for the final battle. But I have not taken him in so long, I don't really know if he is there. I just know that by taking him you are guaranteed room for Imoen.

10. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Nope - if you don't take yoshimo it is Saemon havarian that spikes your food - irencus' dialogue reflects this as weell, and after you return to amn yoshimo will simply be gone.
    not taking him will also lock you out of the quest to redeem his heart. (and thus the 200,000 XP)

11. Sevanhya Gems: 3/31

I guess I will take him, but I will dual class him to a fighter right as we enter spell hold, and give him proficiency with club, dart, and two handed weapon fighting style.

12. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I know the feeling. I hate dropping him at any time. I just love the little guy. One of my favorite NPCs :tobattle:

13. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That's new in the EE then. In vanilla BG2, he'd still be waiting in the CC after you came back (though he'd be scripted to die as soon as you have line of sight on him, but there's a way to circumvent that as well). I'd forgotten his quest gives so much xp, though.

As for Imoen, you don't need to pick her up in Spellhold. You can just imagine her following your group as you clear out the dungeons, if you so wish. She'll be in the CC afterwards. It makes sense to take her with you, from the story perspective, but it's definitely never required.

14. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Neera is quite fun indead. Wait until you accidentally gate in a demon.
    How about putting Nahal's Reckless Dweamor in all of your 1st level spell slots. LOTS of fun there. Lol.

15. Sevanhya Gems: 3/31

That is all I have for her 1st level spells, what a blast.

16. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Especially in bg1, nera with the ring of wizardry (doubles her lv 1 spell slots) filled with nahal's is an absolute menace - you can acquire neera in beregost, and then grab a scroll of cloudkill from a hidden stash on the map south of nashkel pretty much right from the start of the game.
    With multiple casts of nahal you're pretty much guaranteed to get at least one of them off, and you can trivialize a lot of the encounters with cloudkill.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.