1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

is HoF worth it?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Dias, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Dias Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I've finished the game once, and I want to begin a new one with a new party, problem is it get's really old fast! I mean I have to finish it again before I go with the Heart of Fury mode (I want a new party) so is it really worth playing?

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

No, it's really not worth it. It's only the same game as before, but a lot more frustrating.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

If it's getting old for you, use Dalekeeper 2. Load your people up with 25 strength (to carry things), and thousands of +4 arrows and +4 longswords.

Ever play Mechwarrior? The Clans would orbit a world, and "bid" on how many mechs it would take to utterly crush the resistance. In the Icewind, you bid with time. Try subjugating the top floor of the Ice Palace in 5 minutes.

I haven't done it with my "new" machine, but I bet I could do it in under 3 minutes at 60 AI updates per second. Top that!. ;)

4. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

to me, the HOF mode is what is interesting. i installed a couple of tweaks and mods to have that but its worth it.

-undead targos
    -ease of use (without random treasure)
    -bonus merchant

fights generally take a bit longer in HOF, given that you dont use lame tactics like having 2 sorcerers casting malison/WOTB all the time. i play a physical damage party in HOF atm and it is entertaining.

5. Saladin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I found Icewind Dale 2 not only boring rp-wise, but the ambience and especially the battles (that I liked about the first game) were so damn frustrating.. So I reduced the difficulty by a step to make it a bit easier (perhaps I was impatient through it, who knows). But when I heard about HoF-mode, I was like; "Am I so darn bad at this game, or is there some secret cave where you get a Half-Dragon NPC that dualwield +6 Halberds of Fiery Death or.. is it just that the dev-team didnĀ“t spend that much time QA-testing the balance of battles..?"

Anyway, my 0.2p

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I loved IceWind Dale II in both normal and Heart of Fury mode. But it's definitely a linear hack and slash of a game so if you're not into that then you won't like it. Heart of Fury is a serious challenge though but it's cool.

7. Daragnia Onyj Snererme Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Me when i started to get bored with the game i started making wizards and they take a long time to make cause of getting all the spells so i used dalkeeper 2 and desighned the perfect one. I then made a barbarian/cleric bodyguard for him gave him upgrades on dalekeeper then went through the game in HOF mod and it was pretty fun. Now im back on IWD 1 HOF mod and its seems to have some more RP moments but it has it great battles to.

8. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

well you definetely dont have to cheat a party to beat HOF. the only thing that is impossible to me is the battlesquare because
    1.) you always get a monster from the last 4 difficulties compared to normal mode and it has HOF stats.
    2.) you cannot summon any creature because it gets teleportet away to your party instantly.

i chose a melee than and all my healing potions (more than 350) were used up after rank 6.

despite this part of the game it is beatable. the flasher master bruiser mate is very handy and my casters generally use buff up spells.
    it is difficult but beatable, thus entertaining.

9. Dalakdan Gems: 2/31

HOF does not require that you use party members that you already have made, so you can start the game on HOF mode with a new party, but you better be really tough.

10. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I thought it was great.... once. Felt good to have completed it on HOF, but I tried it again, and it was just too boring. Needing to use a constant wall of summons etc... sapped all the fun from it. So go for it once, just to say you have. But if you're like me, you'll not want to bother with it a second time.

[ Couldn't have said it better myself. ] - Beren

[ November 11, 2004, 09:37: Message edited by: Beren ]

11. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

You can play HoF from level 1, without playing through the game. All, or maybe all but one of your party, should be able to focus on summons and charm/domination spells, The docks will be VERY tough, after that it will seem like a harder version of the normal game. If you take a fighter, he will not be able to go toe-to-toe until well into the game.

12. Crom the Powerfull Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Im still in the progress of playing HoF
    The beginning was fun, now it starts to annoy me more and more and I changed to another game. Once Im bored again, I might continue HoF again, just to say Ive done it. The level 9 spells should be there in normal mode too a little earlier, so you can make more use of them. I squatted and I came as far as level 16, so no nice level 9 spells in the final battle :(

13. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Levels up to 20, even 24 are well within reach in Normal mode, but NOT if you start with a full party.

Start solo (I did it with a half/half Cleric/Druid), play solo until you reach the point where you no longer receive exp from fights, add one more character and repeat as necessary. In my game, additions happened in the Horde Fortress outside area and just at the beginning of Chapter 2, where i decided to add 2 characters. I didn't need to add more chars until the HOF mode the next time.

My first char reached level 21 at the end of Normal, but since she was a Deep Gnome, that would have been level 24 if she was human.

14. Dalakdan Gems: 2/31

Well you could have a full party on a Normal game that should reach around level 18 which in HOF will be powerful enough to do the beginning of the HOF version. (If you have the right party) you will get through HOF without too much to worry about.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.