1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is God Evil?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

If God made everything, then God made evil. And
    if we can only create from within ourselves, then God is evil

2. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Maybe. Maybe he just created us for his amusement.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Does evil exists?

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    :bang:

*presuming that there is a god*

I would aggree with Eze.

(*takes out the chocolate*)

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Does god exists?

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

He sure does. But I say that WE created evil. He gave us a choise, and we chosed wrong.

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If God made everything, then God made good.
    And if we can only create from within ourselves, then God is good.

:rolleyes:

8. Eze Gems: 24/31

In the Bible, Satan tempted Eve. He promised her knowledge. So the first crime a human committed, was for knowledge. Uncle God shouldn't have put that tree in Eden.

9. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Whoa! That's a very complex question. I recall heated debates during Theology class in my university. It would probably take a very long essay to even begin to explain that. But more importantly,each person's response would depend on what religion (if any) they have. I think each religion might have a different response. So are we taliking about God in general or what?

10. Eze Gems: 24/31

We are talking about the Christian God.

11. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Probably. That's my view. But not as evil as Africans :mad:

12. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Huh
    Christian God?
    I thought only one God existed(and my name's not Mina accidently :D ).And he sent all the holy books.
    Whatever he gave us a choice some use it wrong and bad some use it in their way some use it good and right.Some doesn't believe him at all.
    In the end there will be a judgement.There,all the evil will be decided.(presuming that mankind created evil and good and God balance or God created everything.....damn i'm messed up).
    Hm this topic IS dangerous indeed.I think we must talk with what he has said to us,predictes are only theories and theories don't reflect reality.

13. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Evil is not a created thing. It's a behavioral pattern. It is essentially the absence or perversion of good. I stated in another thread that the definition of good or morality is not an abstract one, but instead flows naturally from the nature of God. In other words, actions and behaviors that are compatible with the nature of God are good, while those that are not are evil.

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Ermmm Shell? whats wrong with Africans?

Now Capstone, you say that the absence of good is evil and good is compatible with the nature of God..

Now, what is the nature of God?

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    No, God is not evil. The way I see things, God isn't an absolute entity, s/he was created by man to fulfill an inner need. God became the embodiment of good and Satan the embodiment of evil. Religions developed because groups of people found comfort in a common set of beliefs.

Please note that I don't think this trivializes religion in any way. Spirituality is an entirely individual matter and any path that leads someone to have a relationship with God is valid. The important part is THAT one has that relationship and remains true to it, not the particular form that the relationship takes.

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I don't think that something that doesn't exist can be classified as evil but assuming he did exist, possibly.
    If he's going to kick people out of paradise for wanting to learn, yes. If he drowns everyone instead of trying to teach them, yes.

But wait a minute, I don't realy believe in evil that much either, oh grr

17. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Good and evil are completely in the eye of the beholder.

(*squirts ketchup to the said eye*)

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Erm, yeah, thats pretty much what I want to say. There is no good and evil

19. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Any opinions of mine about the Christian God are better left unsaid, lest I trigger a flame war.

To Mat, if he reads this topic: I spent 2 years studying the bible, memorizing its passages and taking written tests on it. Surprise! :p

The following point is off-topic, I know, but it seems fitting. A concept that I believe in( it shows in my writing)

There is no right nor wrong, only the weak and strong. There is no good and evil, for such definitions are the conquerer's will.

20. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Oh dear now you've started me off, Morgoth.

WHat can possibly be more cruel than bringing children into a world by your own choice, knowing that they are 80% likely to die before they are 5 years old. Into a life of complete and utter misery. Where they will probably get AIDS, be starved all their life and not even have any water. WHat Africa needs is contraception or neutering, not money or aid.
    :yot:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.