1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Advertising for a Christian Roommate a Civil Rights Violation?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Oct 23, 2010.

1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Story

Apparently a woman in Grand Rapids, Michigan, put a bulletin up in her church stating that she was looking for a Christian roommate. In response, the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan has filed a civil rights complaint. In response to that, I say 'WTF?!?!?!?!?!' Ok, I guess this has something to do with it being a business arrangement and non-discrimination stuff, otherwise it's clearly a free speach issue, but doesn't that mean that it'd also be illegal for her to ask specifically for a female roommate (being a Christian, I'm assuming she did)? It seems to me that someone in Michigan may need their head screwed on again.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

Where is this Michegan you speak of? I can only assume it is an alternate dimension in which any type of discrimination is abhorrent.
    It's actually spelled Michigan (I lived there for the first 15 years of my life), but jokes aside I'm with you. It's pretty silly.

I wonder if "Nancy Haynes" would complain about giving her job as Executive Director to me, because it's discriminatory to decline me simply because I'm not qualified! I touched on this more in-depth in another thread: discrimination is perfectly acceptable in many cases. Looking for employment, finding someone you want to live with, picking someone to watch your children, etc., etc.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Are us heathens such unpleasant company? :D

I think fining is a bit ridiculous, perhaps request to have it rephrased? but then again specifying a christian wanted in a church bulletin is kind of redundant, surely? "Devout Christian seeking roomate" wouldn't have caused a fuss either.

Does just seem to be playing word games.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This seems really bizarre. It's not as if the woman owned an apartment building and refused to rent to anyone but Christians, right? She's just looking for a Christian room-mate. I don't see how that could possibly violate someone's rights. It's just silly.

If this is truly against a Michigan law, then the folks in charge of Michigan's laws need to figure out how to get rid of it. To the extent that there is a law regarding discrimination in housing, which I assume there is, it shouldn't apply to a situation like this. Otherwise, she wouldn't be able to limit her room-mate choices to, say, women.

What a load.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That's some crazy stuff. This is probably some low-level government flunky with nothing better to do. What a crock.

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    More
    *Warning, distinctly right-wing views here*

Apparently, not only are they serious, they claim to have recieved death threats over it! More confusing still, Nancy Haynes, executive director of the Fair Housing Center, had this to say:
    So, let me get this straight. It's perfectly legal to actually discriminate, but it's illegal to tell people that you're discriminating? Yes, I believe this is firmly a Freedom of Speech violation.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Something else must be going on here. People make all sorts of criteria in their rommate wanted ads all the time. The woman or her church must have pissed off a low level functionary somewhere. The kind of person I want to live with is really none of the State's business.

8. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

No, I do not believe it is a civil rights violation. What is more, I think stating such preferences saves everyone's time.

I was looking for a room/an apartment to rent recently, resulting in meeting quite a few potential landlords (including a drunken, elderly pervert and a madame who was apparently running a brothel... but I digress :D). One of the ladies asked me if I was a Christian. After my explanation of what an Odinist was, she decided we are 'worse than atheists' and asked me to leave.

Did I think it was discrimination? Gods, no. It is her house and she can rent it to whomever she sees fit, to whomever she will feel comfortable with. If the potential room/house-mate has rights, the landlord/lady should have them too.

The only thing I was irritated about was the fact that she actually wasted my time. That week was damn crazy, and I could have definitely used the two forever lost hours to sleep. Had she stated her preferences in the ad, I simply would not have gone there. Then again - what if she had not asked? What if she assumed I was of the same faith, and would decide to break the agreement after finding out that this was absolutely not the case? That situation would surely prove infinitely more problematic.

Ergo - such preferences not only should be stated, they must be stated.

BTW... seen another ad. 'Two female students looking for a TOLERANT roomate'. I wonder what would the Fair Housing Center say about such a horrid display of intolerance against homophobes? :D

Haha, maybe they fear for their cats! :D

9. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, a bit :lol:

It's stupid. When I advertise for tenants in one of my houses, I specifically say that they have to be employed and be a British citizen. It's not discrimination, it's covering my arse! This really isn't any different. People can be so weird about religion. If your room mate is a Muslim or something and has to pray at odd times of the day, you're going to get upset at having your sleep disturbed!

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    It's discrimination, but there is nothing wrong with that. I remember one of my mentors saying that when he married his wife, he discriminated against 100% of the men and 99.99998% of the women.

NOG (No Other Gods) likes this.
  11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I think that the question warrants a nuanced approach:

(a) Choosing a room mate, perhaps as a subtenant, means you are going to share living spaces, in a sense, share your privacy. That means that aspects critical to you personally in your room mate gain great importance. I think it is thus fully justified to discriminate in such cases. Getting someone in your personal living spaces that you know you're not going to get along with is lunacy.

I have discriminated, albeit implicitly, against flat mate candidates - against a conservative Muslim - and against a charismatic Christian, who enthusiastically shared his spiritual experiences even in the brief interview we had. That I then had a lesbian room mate was an important factor to dismiss both as suitable candidates. I also dismissed, for sheer dislike, that one guy who entered the flat application interview along the lines 'When will I move in since I so fabulously awesome?'.

(b) Simply renting out rooms is a different issue. In that case your tenants religion or what your tenant is doing in his own private sphere (What if he is gay? :eek:) is none of the landlord's business and it is not justified to discriminate then. Discrimination in such cases is not justified IMO. Of course it still happens, even though it is usually next to impossible to prove.

In a sense, discrimination, often for good and sensible reasons, happens all the time, and it is necessary and inevitable. Still, differentiation is warranted: In the scenario (a) it was justified, in scenario (b) it wasn't. Point is that that lady was stupid enough in advertising her considerations, solving the problem with the evidence for discrimination all by herself. Congrats.

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    The thing that worries me is that, from all I've seen, this isn't some low-level functionary who got ticked. The executive director is one of the people doing this!

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Hmm.

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yet further proof that the government has too many employees.

Runescarred likes this.
  15. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    That's just bizarre. Normally it is indeed the low level underlings who are left to explain such impossible-to-explain positions. If she didn't see this statement as fundamentallly idiotic and didn't have the sense to run and hide and push somebody else out in front of the microphone in her place, maybe Nancy herself is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

The sad thing is, I'm sure she's telling it exactly like it is. These people usually know their rules pretty well, so there's probably a code somehwere that states that very thing, explicitly.

16. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

The following is one of the many parts of the Fair Housing Act (which Nancy Haynes was talking about).

To me the whole document seems like it is directed at the owners of the space. Whether or not this girl owned the unit that she was looking for a roommate for, I don't know. But either way, I guess I can see how the Fair Housing Act would apply... but I don't really understand it. (And if it's meant the way Nancy Haynes is saying, don't people do the exact opposite all the time?)

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    It also lists as an exception:
    The woman in question is renting one room, intended to be occupied by 2 'families' (i.e. two unrelated individuals), living independently, wherein the original renter (since the actual owner isn't involved in this, I suspect it's a reasonable substitute) actually maintains and occupies one such living quarters as her residence. It doesn't really seem to be written with sub-letting in mind.

On the other hand, since the Fair Housing Center isn't a government body, I'm not sure they have standing to sue, unless they are claiming that they, as a whole, (or more likely one of their members) are an "aggrieved person" per Sec. 813. a.

Although it seems that Nancy Haynes may not be as familiar with the law as she claims:
    That sounds to me like actually refusing to rent to anyone who isn't a Christian would be illegal as well. Of course, under this law, it seems all rental properties must be co-ed, as sex is one of the covered criteria.

18. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I don't think that means the renters actually have to have "sex."

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What if she had said "No muslims please"?

20. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    :D No, but presumably they must have a sex. At least, I hope so...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.