1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is a Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric Good?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Ofelix, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I would to make a new char, since my PC had problem... with a 1/2 elf Ranger/Cleric I've read they can cast both druidic and cleric spell. The ranger progression is slow but the cleric's is fast. What d'you think about it?

[ February 20, 2003, 12:09: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm not fond of this combination myself, as it eliminates your ability to use edged weapons or bows. I'm also unsure if in BG1 the ranger ever gets to a high enough levelto cast, though I'm not sure of that. If you want tons of spells, a better way would be a Cleric/Mage, though you won't get the ability to specialize in weapons and your hitpoints will suck.

3. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

They both are about the same in the end I think.
    They both are capped at level 8 with TotSC installed in a single class game.

You should get in a multi-class (in levels) 7/7;
    6/6 without TotSC.

4. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Preferably I'd play with the same rase, except that I will try Fighter/Mage...

5. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Rangers start casting spells arounnd level 8, right? So if you want lots of spells, this combination isn't the way to go about it.

6. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] I think that the advantage of the ranger is the good use of bows. So if you choose a ranger/druid class how can you use this advantage; I believe that if you want spells a ranger/mage combination would be a good choice.

7. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

IIRC you can't have a Ranger/Druid or a Ranger/Mage. Maybe you can have it in PnP, but not in BG1(not in BG2 either)...

8. archbishop Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This was actually my first character type. I liked it due to the high stat minimums and the warrior + healer abilities. However, it didn't make the transition to BG2 quite so well. It worked well enough in the original though.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

A ranger/druid would be cool, though I don't know if you'd be able to use a bow -- if you had to abide by Druid weapon restrictions then you'd be hooped -- Jaheira, the Fighter/Druid cannot use bows or other non-druidic weaponry, though her armor does not follow druidic restrictions.

I know in PnP you can be a druid/mage, and I would have dearly loved to play one in BG, but I never got the chance, as the combo is not permitted. You'd have a wicked spell selection if you could do that, though.

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The Ranger/Cleric is, in my opinion, the second best character in the game (the best being a Fighter/Mage). I soloed the game with a Ranger/Cleric and it was sweet! The hardest part in soloing is Sarevok's Inaugoration, but what I did was cast Protection from Evil on the fighter (I forget his name, Belm or something) a bunch of times. It was basically impossible for the dopplegangers to hit him. And another thing, put proficiency in Blunt Weapons, and use Ashdeena's Hammer (that +2 hammer). It's one of the best weapons in the game (aside from the +2 Long Sword and the Short Sword of Backstabbing).

11. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I payed through the game solo and ued a ranger/cleric. I really liked it, he could caste druidic and clerical spells.

12. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

What makes Rangers so good with bows?

I think it's a very good multi-class combo. For missile fire, use a sling (you can still use your shield).

13. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I like the R/C because you can decrease it's AC very fast. You can use sling and hammer In the very begining of BG1 there is a good hammer, which rules the whole game.

If you are not soloing, it's more intresting, because the enemies attack the closest person with less HP. Because the R/C is weaker than a paladin, or fighter in the front line. R/C will be attacked first. What you have to do, is decreasing the AC. Helm of Balduran, Cloacks, Plate Armour, Shiled etc. Meanwhile the R/C stands the hits, the archers, and other melee fighters can do their jobs.

[ November 18, 2003, 09:25: Message edited by: Valer ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.