1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is 4th Edition here? - 4adventure on WOTC site.

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by diagnull, Aug 16, 2007.

1. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Doubt it. We would have seen more advertising before hand. It's curious though. "4DVENTURE" Would be interesting to see what happens

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

duh. Wizards of the coast is all about cash ins. Allways have.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yeah, it's official. But then, with WotC being in charge, who didn't see this coming?

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hey, does this mean it is time for me to break out the crusty old man clothes and do one of my "who needs these newfangled rules, things were better back when we had the red/blue/green box sets" rants? ;)

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I suspect 4ed will be much like the new star wars ruleset they recently published. Only 4 classes in SW now. All force skills have been wrapped up into one skill called "Use the force". Ohh and they removed the skillpoints. Reason : Assigning skillpoints was too complicated..........Go figure.
    Now all your skills just increase as you level up. Everything we have to do to make a char is to pick gender, race and one of 4 classes. And then pick feats from some new "feat tree". Looks alot like diablo 2. Wich is of course excelent for pen and paper roleplaying games............I would bet money on this happening to d&d as well. I guess the future is all about dumbing things down for certain people.

9. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

This seems to be like going from AD&D to second Edition. It's the same basic rules, but a bit more streamlined with yet more options.

10. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

In case you haven't noticed in ALL games now; they've been dumbing things down for a while. You go and play the latest sequel to your favorite kind of games and you find out that the challenges are actually going backwards. It's this "new" thing companies have where they try to market to EVERYBODY when alot of people outside the scene don't care and the "hardcore crowd" feel jipped.
    Oh, and I think 4e is just an opportunity for WotC to fatten their coffers; but that's my opinion.

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Well I do belive your opinion hit the mark straight on. Wizards of the coast are starting to give me the same feeling i get when i hear that crap MTV pukes out.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    So, here's the latest from WotC:

We're Experiencing Technical Difficulties

Unfortunately, due to an extremely high load on our web servers, we have been unable to bring you our normal web content. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask that you please try again in a few hours! Our technical team is aware of the problem and working on it.

Thank you for your patience!

:D

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, had the same problem when wanted to post it in the news.

14. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

The owner of my gaming shop told me about it at some point during the last academic year, but I didn't expect to see it come THIS soon.

Well I don't thik I'll be investing in 4E unless it's mind blowing. Too much cash I don't have.

15. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

oh god i hope not, 3.0 and 3,5 was imho the best thing that happened to DnD, AD&D was allready way to simple, if they mix it to make a simple version of AD&D/3.5 its going to suck.

16. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Equester, you should look into the Saga rules. You'd be surprised.
    They're simple, elegant, and seem to speed up gameplay significiantly. If 4th ed. is anything like that, it will work just fine.

17. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

posted at www.wizarduniverse.com is an article about 4th ed.

quote:
    This new edition will stick with the d20 system, but the designers see many elements that can be improved. One big emphasis has been on streamlining turns to help the game get around the table a bit quicker; they know there’s nothing the rules can do to keep a party’s mage and barbarian from wasting 15 minutes screaming over tactics at the start of every combat, but at least they can get you out of grappling details a bit faster. And the mage and barbarian might get along a little better thanks to revamped spell recovery rules that won’t do away with the need to rest to replenish spells, but will give players more options to recover spells and in-game incentives to do something other than call nappy-time every two encounters.

In essence, what you’re going to see mechanically is the d20 system evolved: rebuilding the clunky parts, greasing the wheels and polishing the chrome until you can see your character in it. Part of that polishing includes ramping up the coolness factor on some of the less-popular character classes to make sure that every class has a unique and essential role in a well-balanced party; you might see some of the traditional classes fall out of the base book in favor of sexier roles. The same thing will happen to the races covered in the core books, where the half-demon tieflings will claim a place at the expense of an undisclosed race—we’re guessing a half-elf, gnome and halfling were shut up in a dark cave with some paring knives, and no questions were asked of whoever came out…heck, there might even be three new races in the new edition! Not to worry; Slavicsek promises that any beloved races cut from the core books will appear in early Fourth Edition expansions.

man, getting rid of a core race??! :eek: !?? WTF are they thinking

it says that the core books should ship may,june,july of '08

18. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

They may be trying to make it more accessable to the lowest common denominator, while adding products to accommodate the more demanding players.

19. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Quote: Equester, you should look into the Saga rules. You'd be surprised.
    They're simple, elegant, and seem to speed up gameplay significiantly. If 4th ed. is anything like that, it will work just fine.

Well they did remove the wound point system in the saga edition. Wich basically means that if you are level 12 or something, you can take a blaster pistol and shoot yourself in the chest, and still survive without any negative effects at all. But if you do that as level 1 you will die. Effectivly removing every "star wars realism" there is. But for those of us who likes diablo and console "rpgs" I belive the new sw ruleset will be great fun for you. Its what pen and paper roleplaying games are morphing into it seems.

20. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Rawgrim, shooting yourself counts as Coup-de-Grace. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.