1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ironskin vs. Stoneskin?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Lord FOX, May 21, 2007.

1. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I´m very afraid to ask you this(because I´m an experienced IWD2 Player), but since there´s no other place for me to go, here I go:
    Is there any difference between arcane´s "Stoneskin" and clerical "Iron skin"?
    The only thing I´m sure about, is that they aren´t stackable,both grants 10 points of damage reduction and "stoneskin" gives you a +5 protection from magical weapons but "ironskin" it does not specifies...
    Just for the record , I have installed a mod that gives armor damage reduction(I don´t remember the name, I think is EoU), so a character with a plate or full armor AND stoneskin will have both 10 damage reduction(bludge/slash/piercing) and a +5 magical weapon protection?
    Am I rigth?

[ May 22, 2007, 00:26: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'm not sure how much I remember but I think stoneskin protects against the same number of attacks as caster lvl (max 15) and protects against weapons up to BUT NOT INCLUDING +5 weapons, so +4 enhancement and below.
    Iron skin protects against 8 attacks but also gives reduction from +5-weapons.
    Don't remember if the duration is different.

EDIT:
    Ironskin
    Duration: 8hours
    Casting Time: 1 round
    "This spell provides the caster with a damage reduction of 10/- to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. This resistance bonus only applies to a number of attacks equal to 1 attack for every 2 levels of the caster up to a maximum of 8, after which the spell will dissipate. This spell is not cumulative with itself or similar magicks (such as the 4th level wizard spell Stoneskin)."

Stoneskin
    Duration: 10 minutes/level
    Casting Time: 1
    "The warded creature gains resistance to blows, cuts, stabs, and slashes. The subject gains damage reduction 10/+5. (It ignores the first 10 points of damage, though a weapon with a +5 enhancement bonus or any magical attack bypasses the reduction.) Once the spell has prevented a total of 10 points of damage per caster level (maximum 150 points), it is discharged."

So to sum up: Iron skin has better duration (although stoneskin has good enough for most cases). It also protects against +5 attacks, which stoneskin doesn't. Stoneskin lasts quite much longer in battle and has much shorter casting time.

[ May 21, 2007, 23:52: Message edited by: Mudde ]

3. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31

Yes, I´ve also read the spell description of both cases, but the real question is if the mod make some changes on them(wich I personally doubt).
    So you´re saying that only stoneskin grants you "magical enhanced weapons" protection.
    The way I see it (in both cases) the first 10 points of damage are absorbed in stoneskin(till the max of 150 is reached) and ignored in ironskin.
    Let´s analize both even further:
    Two chars, one with stoneskin and other with ironskin.Far than the obvious casting time and spell duration, if char one faces an enemy monster in HoF(every enemy weapon are considered magical), ¿the attacks of such monster always bypass the damage reduction? or just absorb the first 10 points AND bypass the rest of the damage?
    And the second char, with a 10 s/b/p reduction,regardless of magical enchanment weapon bonus, always get hit by an attack that exceeds the first 10 points(wich in HoF are pretty much the 99% of the attacks) but only damaged by the sustraction of it.
    Ex1:Attack by monster:34 HP(magical enhanced)-0 DR(stoneskin,remember?)= 34HP of resulting damage
    Ex2: Attack by monster:34 Hp(magical enhanced)-10 DR(granted by Ironskin)= 24 HP of resulting damage
    Pretty much better, don´t you think?
    Please, correct me if I´m wrong

4. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Don't know about the mod. Never tried it.
    Does that many monsters in HOF have +5 weapons?
    Stoneskin protects against up to +4-enhanced weapons but not against added magical damage so a fire sword should bypass it.
    And if the mod makes all HOF-monsters having +5 enhanced weapons then you can forget about using stoneskin.

5. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Only mobs in the whole game that pack +5 weapons are those Slayer Knights of Xvim in the last couple of areas plus a few named bosses, as far as I can remember. For all other mobs, Stoneskin and Iron Skins work equally.

The "Armor grant damage resistance" mod you're talking about complicates matters a bit. The DR given by armor is of the best type, x/-, meaning it can't be bypassed by any enchantment. Stoneskin gives the next best category, x/+5, so that +5 weapons bypass it.

The big bummer is that only SAME type of DR stacks, thus a plate-wearing warrior with 10/- from his armor alone won't get any extra benefit from Stoneskin, as they don't stack and Stoneskin's protection would be inferior anyway. However, Iron Skins would increase the DR to 20/- for as long as it lasts. Similarly, Barbarians natural DR stacks with bonus from Armor since it's of the x/- type.

6. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31

Thamk you , Sir Rechet.
    It works exactly like you said.I´ve proved with my main character(Illmater cleric) and casted both.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.