1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Invisibility AI Script

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Tassadar, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

When you hide in shadows, get spotted by an enemy, and then attempt to run away and hide in shadows again - *everyone* follows you everywhere no matter where you are and wherever you go (even if you are invisible) they follow. This is, to put it bluntly, really stupid and totally unrealistic. I guess there isn't a way to change the AI script, but if the game is going to cheese, then I will "fight cheese with cheese" so to speak.

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I don't really see the point in that post, but I'll try and find one.

Why fight cheese with cheese? That's just stupid. Yes, the game might be stupid and unrealistic in a lot of ways, but why do you have to resort to the same tactics? To show that you are just as unrealistic as the computer? Or to show that you can't role play? Or have I missed something?

I have never liked when people use cheesey tactics and say that they are doing it because the computer does it. Computers aren't human, they have no brain. Would you yell at a tree for been unrealistic? :rolleyes:

Back to what you where complaining about. Could it be that you haven't succeded in hiding in shadows? I can't remember how IWD2 hide works, but if it is the same as NWN just because you've clicked on the hide button doesn't mean that you've hidden, if just means that you are attempting to hide. Your hide skill check has to beat either a certain DC or the enemy's spot skill check (can't remmeber which one for IWD2), in order for you to actully hide unseen. And you cannot hide in the shadows while you are in site of a hostile creature, they will see you if you try and do that.

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Rotku, whenever you reveal yourself to the enemy, then run out of their sight and quaff an invisibility potion (or hide back in shadows), they know where you are (all of them) even though they cannot see you (they're not attacking). This only happens in IWD2 - this is the same (or similar) script that comes with one of the mods for BG2 (improved mae'var), where they can sense your invisible PC and follow him/her everywhere. This takes out all the fun of hiding in shadows.

My "cheesiness" tactics involves the use of entangle(s) and some (ok, lots of) area effect spells (soloing a druid). There's too many of them, and they all come at once, so there's no other choice. Hit and run tactics don't work, and druids don't have powerful fireball type spells. So it's a few entangles, spike growths and out comes the bow.

4. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

This bug is more potent when not playing solo.

Imagine:
    You leave your group somewhere in the map - far from enemy.
    You send your thief/scout/(whoever hidden) to one of the enemies.
    You sneak attack/attack him or he/she/they reveal you.
    If you kill the one you attacked, or not, if the others saw you or not, they began to hunt you.
    If you run away, hide in shadows, or make you invisible they still know where you are. They will come to the place you are hiding.
    (And now it comes.)
    They cannot see you, so they will go after the rest of your party. They know were other party members are.

This does not work in every map with every enemy. But most of the time.

Works like homing missile.

5. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

That is exactly the thing I'm talking about. It's better just to sneak and *not* attack anyone.

6. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

But how do they know, where are you - when you are succesfully hidden ?
    How they know where are your friends ?

You if a they get disturbed, they should walk around and try to find the reason. But no as homing missiles.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.