1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Intro to Julian May's Saga of Pliocene Exile

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Sprite, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

My favorite series of books, EVER, is Julian May's Saga of Pliocene Exile. It's hard to say whether it's fantasy or science fiction: it walks the line between the two better than any other "ficton"* I've ever encountered.

It is set in the not-too-distant future as well as the ancient past: Earth has joined a federation of sentient races as a junior member, and has had telepathy, peace and wisdom benignly imposed upon us (the stories of how this came to be are in "The Surveillance" and "The MetaConcert"). This makes life very difficult for non-conformists, rugged individualists, and other "antisocial" types.

The solution? These people travel to Pliocene-era France, the only destination and time that anyone has ever succeeded in inventing time-travel to, and it's a one-way trip. They expect to go as pioneers, to stake out lonely new lives for themselves as farmers, only to find that Earth of that era is *not* as scientists believed: in fact, it is being ruled by rival alien races vaguely recognisable to fantasy lovers as drow and goblins, and humans are quickly enslaved. While some men are lucky enough to live as farmers, smiths, and brewers under these exotic feudal lords, all women are enslaved to produce monstrous offspring for the nearly-sterile enemies.

Naturally, there's a "resistance" movement led by a fiesty Frenchwoman.

Believe it or not, all this is not the plot- it is merely the background for absorbing tales of swords and sorcery, great battles and true love. And better yet- it all interconnects with stories "simultaneously" taking place in the Earth of the 21st century (yet another series, the "Galactic Milieu" trilogy).

Here are the reasons I love this series:
    - You can read any of the books in any of the three trilogies in any order- each is perfectly conceived to stand alone.
    - The fictons- both Pliocene Europe and post-modern Earth- are perfectly and thoroughly conceived with no "holes"; and every book you read is loaded with sweet little details that enhance your pleasure in books you've read before
    - The writing style is sensitive, wise and funny: you are not just entertained, you are drawn in and fully engrossed.
    - There are lots of little in-jokes for those intimately familiar with European (especially French) history: a pageantry expert named Mercy Lamballe, a villain named Donatien, another villain who is described as looking remarkably like Machiavelli etc.
    - The level of English is high enough to improve the vocabulary of anyone who reads it, even the best-educated of English speakers. This might not appeal to everyone, but I love it.

For reference, here are the books in the Saga of Pliocene Exile (the sagas of The Intervention and the Galactic Milieu are separate but equal ;)):
    * The Many-Coloured Land
    * The Golden Torc
    * The Non-Born King
    * The Adversary

Does anyone else love these books? Or if you don't love them, WHY?

*(Note for non-Heinlein readers: "Ficton" is a useful word Robert A. Heinlein coined to describe a time/place combination, whether real or true- so Oz, Forgotten Realms, the Italian Renaissance, Elizabethan England, Karyst, the Discworld are all fictons).

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You have gotten me intrigued. I am surprised that I have never heard if this series before. I have a pretty good grasp on the fantasy stage. I think I will buy them the next time I buy books.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.