1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Internet typology quiz

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by revmaf, Sep 6, 2007.

1. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

This was kind of interesting - a quiz from the Pew Internet and American Life Project on what kind of internet and technology user you are. ("Pew" is the name of the family that endowed the foundation, I think - they do a lot of education related stuff in the U.S.)

Take the quiz

I am a Lackluster Veteran, and the description does fit me pretty well:

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Another omnivore here.

I don't really have an extensive suite of online tools, but I *do* spend a lot of time online.

4. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    WTF?... I *never* needed help with this shiny new technology. My cellphone's four years old and I hate internet blogs.

In other words, my complete opposite. Though I do download and watch TV shows from my computer.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Omnivore.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Lackluster veteran. Doesn't particularly fit me well, but certainly better than any of the others.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I am:
    The only thing that doesn't fit is the income bracket.

8. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I came up as a lackluster veteran. This is odd, since I've only been online since about 2000. It may be the result of residual cynicism about computers in general over the years. I had friends that owned computers in the days when 8000 baud modems were to die for, but I was far too poor to afford one.

[ September 07, 2007, 06:44: Message edited by: Stefanina ]

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Omnivores make up 8% of the American public.

Yayness. :rolling:

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Wow. Really not me. Cell phones? Hardly ever use them...

11. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Another Omnivore. It fits me well, except for the part of updating and maintaining a webpage, which i dont have.

12. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

another omnivore

13. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    yet another omnivore.

14. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

here goes another omnivore

15. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    A connector for me.

16. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    That was interesting...I'm an omnivore:

Omnivores make up 8% of the American public.

Basic Description
    Members of this group use their extensive suite of technology tools to do an enormous range of things online, on the go, and with their cell phones. Omnivores are highly engaged with video online and digital content. Between blogging, maintaining their Web pages, remixing digital content, or posting their creations to their websites, they are creative participants in cyberspace.

Defining Characteristics
    You might see them watching video on an iPod. They might talk about their video games or their participation in virtual worlds the way their parents talked about their favorite TV episode a generation ago. Much of this chatter will take place via instant messages, texting on a cell phone, or on personal blogs. Omnivores are particularly active in dealing with video content. Most have video or digital cameras, and most have tried watching TV on a non-television device, such as a laptop or a cell phone.

Omnivores embrace all this connectivity, feeling confident in how they manage information and their many devices. This puts information technology at the center of how they express themselves, do their jobs, and connect to their friends.

Who They Are
    They are young, ethnically diverse, and mostly male (70%). The median age is 28; just more than half of them are under age 30, versus one in five in the general population. Over half are white (64%) and 11% are black (compared to 12% in the general population). English-speaking Hispanics make up 18% of this group. Perhaps unsurprisingly, many (42% versus the 13% average) of Omnivores are students.

17. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Interesting quiz, I does fits me, although in the part of "Who They Are" I don't come close to it.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I am a connector. It kind of fits and kind of doesn't.

19. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    A connector here.

Connectors make up 7% of the American public.

Basic Description
    The Connectors' collection of information technology is used for a mix of one-to-one and one-to-many communication. They very much like how ICTs keep them in touch with family and friends and they like how ICTs let them work in community groups to which they belong. They are participants in cyberspace - many blog or have their own web pages - but not at the rate of Omnivores. They are not as sure-footed in their dealings with ICTs as Omnivores. Connectors suspect their gadgets could do more for them, and some need help in getting new technology to function properly.

Defining Characteristics
    Connectors combine a sense that information technology is good for social purposes with a clear recognition that online resources are a great way to learn new things. Their cell phones have a lot of features, and they also try new things with technology; more than half have watched TV programming on a device like a laptop computer or cell phone.

Who They Are
    Connectors, which make up 7% of the population, have a median age of 38, with a majority (54%) in the 30-49 age range. Ethnically, it is mostly white (72%); 16% are Black and 12% are English-speaking Hispanics. The typical Connector has been online for 9 years, which suggests they were a second-wave of late 1990s adopters. Most are women (55%) and they rate above average in educational attainment and income.

20. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Another Lackluster Veteran here.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.