1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Intermediate creature design issues

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Bazarov, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Bazarov Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Greetings,
    I am having some moderate difficulties pushing Aurora to do what I want and would appreciate some advice and help.
    Most of my problems stem from trying to create a Golem that starts as non-functional but is repairable and eventually upgradeable.

To create my 'dissasembled Golem' I have started by using a VFX_IMP_SLEEP in the Golems' On_Spawn(), giving a nodeath-nodamage in on_damaged, and removing all the other scripts. (I had to remove the actual construct package, it apparently prevented me from manually setting him asleep). Problem is, most talking, etc. events turn the body towards the talker, which is bad. And I can usually manage to wake the golem up if I try hard enough.
    Representing the body with some generic garbage seems lame, and I don't want to use any third-party haks (for a 'corpse system') and there doesn't seem to be a way to just place a corpse of a specific monster. (Plus, the non-responding body allows me some conversation options for handling the repair business, if I could get it to truly not respond, anyway.)
    Secondly, is there a good way to perform a 'swithcheroo' with a creature, that is, replace it with a nearly identical one without some visual cue? I want 'pieces' for this golem to be replaceable; I think I may have to create multiple versions and swap them in and out depending. Any ideas?

2. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

To make a creature dead, is really simple. You just have to kill it. Add these lines to the creautes on spawn script

effect edeath = EffectDeath(TRUE,TRUE);
    ApplyEffectToObject (DURATION_TYPE_PERMANENT, edeath,OBJECT_SELF);

Than save the on spawn file as something else, or every creature you create will die.

3. Bazarov Gems: 1/31

That is simple, simple enough that I should have figured it out for myself. I guess my 'comprehensive' listing of scripting data isn't. Assuming that the old 'fadeout' won't happen, you've solved my first problem, thanks.

Another minor question, do local on-PC variables carry over from module to module?

4. Thorin Gems: 9/31

okay I forgot a line of the code, as it stands right now, that piece of code, just kills that creature. You have to add this line after the other pieces of code

SetIsDestroyable(FALSE, FALSE, TRUE);

This will allow the body to stay on the ground forever, cannot be resurected, and cannot be "looted".

5. Bazarov Gems: 1/31

Thanks, Thorin, it worked fine. There was only only annoying problem with it, I had 'plot' checked on the advanced tab, creature properties. It didn't work with that checked. I appreciate the quick and accurate help on at least one of my questions.

6. Thorin Gems: 9/31

If i remember correctly plot creatures cannot die, so that's why trying to kill them on the on-spawn script would not work.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.