1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Interest in making a mod...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by GabrielNYC, Dec 24, 2004.

1. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] I had forgotten how much FUN it is playing BG2. It's a shame Interplay/Bioware/whomever stopped making games using this engine.

I was wondering... What tools will I need to make my own mod? I'm thinking of making a Ravenloft and a Kara Tur one.

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I would love for someone to make a Ravenloft mod for BG2.

However, ever since teambg was taken down, I have no idea where to get modder's tools.

3. Emmanuel Julius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

4. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Baronius posted about this in another thread, but I think I will just cut out the middle man. Another site, the Black Wyrm Forums, have a copy of the The TeamBG Tutorial Site. It may have something that you can use.

5. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Holy crap. So many tools...

Daunting to say the least. If I were d/l Weidu, am I correct in assuming I can use said program to compress everything etc?

Call be bold, call me reckless, call me stupid but I see a total conversion MOD of BG2: ToB into a Ravenloft. Tons of undead, classes/kits specially suited for that realm, spells, monsters, locations, famous NPCs found in the source books..

6. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

http://forums.gibberlings3.net has a lot of tutorials too for various stuff. :)

If you have tech questions, I'd recommend popping along to the GIbberlings Three, Pocketplane, Forgotten Wars or BlackWyrm modding groups as they have a lot of active modders. Guest posting is allowed at all of those but I'd really encourage you to sign up - it's free, after all.

WeiDU is a program used primarily as a dialogue/script compiler, for descriptive text and then as an installer, yes. Other tools such as IEEP and NearInfinity tend to be what people actually use to build creatures, items, spells and so on.

I will indeed call you bold for saying you'd like to make a Ravenloft TC; TCs are very hard work and after all this time the only one which is playable (excluding Tutu and so on) is the Dragonlance TC, which has a demo: http://www.dragonlancetc.com

But start small with an item or a kit, then work your way up! Good luck, if you decide to go for it. :)

7. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

During your modding activity, if you are interested in graphical editing and BAM creation as well as scripting, you might find useful the Tutorials of the Black Wyrm either: http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net

Additionally, if you need a precise Map of Faerun with zooming function, don't hesitate to check out Black Wyrm's Faerun Map: http://www.blackwyrmlair.com/Faerunmap/

Good luck, sometimes modding can be very hard but be hard-working when making the less interesting parts: when the mod is finished, no matter how small it is, it will be a great feeling of success! ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.