1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Inspired to try IWD

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by David Falkayn, Feb 20, 2006.

1. David Falkayn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Silverstar's response to olimikrig's post, "Why should I play IWD?":

Has inspired me to give the game a whirl and write it up as a full fledged novella that I plan to post in the Creativity Surge section as time permits (I'm teaching 5 courses this semester and midterms are upon us, so time is very much at a premium right now.) In any event, I've rolled up my party and here they are:

Lennart Dorensen: Neutral good human fighter
    St: 19/99; Dx: 14; CN: 14; IN: 10; WI 10; CH 12
    He's the primary tank of the party and the party leader

Amora Elyssanae: Chaotic Good half-elf enchantress
    ST: 10; DX: 12; CN: 10; IN: 18; WI: 11; CH: 18
    She's the "face woman" of the party--the person who handles most of the NPC interactions. There is an attraction between her and Lennart

William Silverstone: Chaotic Neutral halfling fighter/thief
    ST: 17; DX19; CN12; IN12; WI9; CH13
    The chief lockpicker and detrapper of the group; he loves nothing more than wine, women, song, and gambling. He also serves as the group wiseacre.

Clarissa Solense: Human, Chaotic good cleric of Sune
    ST15; DX12; CN11; IN:11; WI:18; CH15
    A hedonist as is appropriate considering her patron goddess, the only thing Clarissa hates more than tromping through dark and dank dungeons is ugly critters...

Melisande E'lasymara: Elvish neutral evil mage/thief.
    ST11; DX19; CN10; IN18; WI9; CH15
    More or less an "anti-Imoen", Melisande is only interested in what's good for Melisande. She will be Amora's rival for the affections of Lennart.

Braenor Axehaft: Lawful Neutral Dwarve fighter/cleric
    ST18/76; DX10; CN16; IN10; WI18; CH10

As this section is for gameplay, I'll post the characters bios etc. in the Creative section, leaving this for any questions I might have on gameplay that should come up. In any event, I'm looking forward to this--it should be fun. I hope ya'll enjoy this once I get it going--and thanks for the inspiration Silverstar.

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Why do most of your PCs have sucky Con scores? I can see that a couple don't have enough points to spare. Or is this more for how you'll roleplay in your head than in the game?

3. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hedonism is in Sharess' portfolio :D

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Oh my, I am so glad that I have inspired someone! :)

The party looks good, really, BUT I fear all of them have low CON scores, and none other than the dwarf will get bonus HP.

Maybe you don't know 2E rules, a 14 DEX and 14 CON will give your fighter NOTHING, but 10 DEX and 18 CON will reward you +4 HP/level, which sums up to 36 extra HP at level 9. A BIG bonus!

Anyway, you don'T need to Powergame, I see your main reason is roleplaying, and thus the party seems capable enough. Have fun!

5. David Falkayn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back, but I've been busy getting things ready for midterms and this coming week I'll be giving them out and grading them, so, as you can imagine, it's been rather hectic for me.

To address everyone's points:

For the most part, it was point distribution from the rolls. With Lennart, I might have messed up in that I probably should have given him a 12DX and a 16CN, but I've always liked fairly high dex scores in p and p back in the day when I could play; and, to be honest, I probably did mix up 2E with 3E in that with 3E you do want to go with a 14 as often as not. It's been a couple of decades since I've played with the old rules.

As regards Sune and hedonism, while Sharess might have hedonism in her portfolio, beauty and pleasure also falls within Sune's realm iirc.

I just finished the prologue and started chapter 1 and am hoping to have the prologue up over spring break after midterms have been graded. I'll be avoiding battle play by plays and dealing mostly with character interactions though. The game itself plays very well--nicely balanced encounters for my characters so far; although I did mess up in my enchantress' spell selection on character generation--I'm finding that I have to be careful in that sometimes I still think in terms of BG2 character abilities and forget that here I'm dealing with 1st level--doing that is a good way to get your characters killed.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well an enchanter should pick sleep, (invaluable against swarms of goblins and orcs) and burning hands (devastating against swarms of undead) then maybe friends spell for store discounts. What have you picked? Magic missile? Pathetic in first levels. :p Chromatic orb is not that fancy neither.

Anyway, I am waiting for your future posts, may your luck continue in your travels!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.