1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Insane, Stupid or Just Irresponsible?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackthorne TA, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know if this is a big story anywhere else, but the octuplet woman has been making the rounds here.

Basically she's single, unemployed, living with her parents, infertile, has already gotten 6 kids through artificial means and now has just popped out 8 more at once.

I can only think she is insane.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    We're talking about a state that has Arnie as it's governer. I don't think insanity should be that surprising.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol: So does that mean you think she's insane? Or something else?

Or was that just an opportunity to take a pot shot at Arnie and California? :)

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think it's all of the above. No sane person craves this much attention in this way; no intelligent person would think they could raise 14 children on food stamps; no responsible mother would be this reckless or extreme.

Basically, it's a form of Muchausen Syndrome. This isn't about the kids, it's all about her.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    LKD likes this.
  5. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    But what about the last 6 kids all gotten artificially? Nobody'd heard about her before the octuplets; as far as I know she got no attention previously. Yet that still seems insane to keep getting more and more kids you can't afford, especially when you can't even get them naturally.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There's more than just media attention. You're a father if I recall...so I'm sure you've seen all the fawning a woman gets from friends, family, co-workers, people at the market, etc. when she has her first child. Multiply that by six...and imagine how high she might have gotten from all that attention (if she's predisposed to such narcissism. Then when that effect wares off, she ups the ante by a factor of 14...

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Amen to that -- this is the height of stupidity and the doctor who worked with her should lose his license and his testicles.

OK, maybe the testicles thing is over the top, but you get the depth of my contempt for people who use children as a means to self-fulfillment. Children are people, not things.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think nobody heard of her before the octuplets because someone having a baby artificially isn't news. Once previously she did have twins, but having twins artificially isn't news either. When you have eight - and all eight survive - well that's news regardless of how the eight got in there.

My question is what doctor could ethically agree to do this. She had six embryos implanted in her, and two of them divided, which is how she got up to eight. Still, most clinics that do this work will not implant more than two embryos at a time, to prevent something like this happening - women's bodies are not designed to have litters.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah, I see what you mean; attention doesn't have to be widespread.

But no, I'm not a father, though I have seen the fawning others get. :)

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] And they say all those cat ladies are crazy... hah! This one apparently has a baby hoarding syndrome... :nuts: Seriously, are there no checks in place in Arniefornia to prevent things like that?

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    You have to have a job to be fawned by co-workers.

If I lived in California I would be outraged. All she has managed to do is increase her monthly public assistance check and probably doomed 8 more kids to a lifetime of living at the expense of others.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    You would think so, but I haven't heard mention of anything yet (though I haven't paid that close attention to the story either).
    Not only that, but premature babies are much more likely to have developmental issues (of which her other kids have some) so she's probably doomed them that way as well.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know what all the fuss is about. People are rushing out to buy guns because they fear Obama is going to make it harder to buy firearms. Obviously this woman is just concerned that Obama will impose restrictions on childbirth...

Dalveen likes this.
  14. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Damn! Obama's just got his fingers in every pie, doesn't he! At least in some people's nightmares, that is ;)

15. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:

Prem babies aren't THAT much at risk! I was worried when Ashley was prem but the doctors told me that, although his speech and walking might come a little slower than average, it's not that big an issue. I don't think prem babies are doomed hun!

16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Difference being you are able to completely devote time to Ashley, while she has seven more as well as six older children.

With the ND component present in her other children it's likely the 'new batch' will have a share as well.

I can understand strong maternal instincts driving her to wanting more children biologically (I've also been told before that many infertile women feel broody and the urge to have children stronger than fertile women - usually a combination of hormonal imbalances and psychological aspects rather than just one of the two.)

However her responsibility to fourteen children is absurd. Her claims to continue her studies and get a job are ambitious if she can attain that, currently however, I see little chance of this seeing light and the costs involved are huge for both herself and those she currently relies on.

Someone remind her it's not a clown car. ;)

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's stupid. It's not right for single unemployed people to get in vitro for public money (or did she pay for it?). And how did she get the donations, funding or whatever it was? Did she get it for being minority? I can't imagine her appearing sane throughout the process.

Apart from the fact I oppose in vitro on moral grounds, single people - and I don't mean not having a boyfriend, I mean not having a stable family - shouldn't be given children to adopt. Children need a normal family, not an insane unemployed mother who spends public money on in vitro instead of finding some work, getting a husband and then having children when she can support them and bring them up well.

LKD likes this.
  18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    IIRC, she had some money when she worked in a psychiatric ward, and then got disability payments for a "back injury" until recently. So, I guess when you injure your back, you can't work, but you can gestate and take care of multiple kids ;)

I haven't seen an explanation of where all the money came for the treatments, but she claims to have paid for some of it at least from the above money.

19. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's true 8, I'll climb off my soap box! :lol:

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You mean Barack Obama is the FATHER?!?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.