1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Input wanted for a story I'm doing!

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Rallymama, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    If you, as an intelligent, educated person living in the modern world of the early 21st century, were shown incontrovertible proof that magic was real, how would you react? What questions or concerns would you have?

TIA!

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Mixed feelings on that one. I would wonder just how much magic could effect civilization as a whole. How powerful can magic be? What is the source? What is the science behind it?

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Can you elaborate further on what you mean by "magic"?

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Magic as in... magic. Casting spells. Making things happen that shouldn't, according to physics. More Harry Potterish than D&Dish, but magic.

5. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I suppose i'd be pretty amazed, and i'd really want to learn to do it if possible.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I ask the question because there is a fine line between magic and science. Electricity would have been 'magic' to someone 400 years ago. My reaction would depend on how much it just seemed like another technological advance.

I guess my questions here are part of my 'reaction' so may be helpful to you in themselves.

7. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I wouldn't be shocked, but I would be concerned about the people who could use magic. Would they be able to control it and what use would they use it for?

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Since you asked me so nicely in the chatroom ;) ...

My response would be, "It's about damn time they recognized it!" :p

Really, magic is just a technology we don't understand yet, whether it's a technology of mechanics, physics, the mind, or even the soul.

If you want more, there's a TV series called "the 4,400" that deals with supernatural humans. There's even a thread in the Sensorium about the show if you want to check it out.

9. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, being always convinced magic existed, the obvious questions would be "What exactly is the magic capable of, what feats would be possible through it" and also "What magic related races exist" leading into a more profound look at how much of the legends/tales is based on true magicrelated facts and what is pure nonsense in them.

Afterwards, maybe the thoughts would occur about how far the magic is still present in this world and spread around the globe. What are it's rules, could I get involved in it, and even would/should I get involved. (if my discovery hadn't involved me already)

Of course, the most important question that would come to me, but in due time, would be, have dragons ever existed and do they still exist.

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I agree with all the above. I don't think I would be suprised as science discovers new things all the time.

would love to learn it. Would be concerned about the use. How it could be governed. How kept from being used for evil purposes.

Where's the school? Enroll me quick.

11. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Well, as a Christian, I'd probably freak out, then as a fantasy fan be seriously tempted to try it.

Then I'd feel guilty.

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Daie, please elaborate on the Christian aspects further. What would you want/need to feel comfortable with magic returning to the world as something not evil or sinful?

Another twist... the evidence isn't something that you find independently, it's shown to you by a person. What questions might you have for this person?

13. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Daie, please elaborate on the Christian aspects further. What would you want/need to feel comfortable with magic returning to the world as something not evil or sinful?

Another twist... the evidence isn't something that you find independently, it's shown to you by a person. What questions might you have for this person?

Well, it would seem to me that since the magic might not necessarily come from God, that the teachings of Christianity would show it to be evil, and probably satanic. That is what would make me uncomfortable.

I suppose, to make me comfortable I would have to know that the Church (Protestant AND Catholic) didn't condemn it, I would probably have to be convinced, find no evil purpose for it, and I'd probably need some time to get over the idea.

And I'm not the strongest of Christians, so I imagine others might need more.

The kind of clerical magic of D&D would be...interesting.

If someone showed me it, I would probably lose much trust in that person. It really depends who showed me.

One of my teenage buddies- I run a mile.
    Someone who I have absolute trust in- I'd think about it more
    Someone extremely religious (Archbishop of Canturbury forex)- I'd be weirded out, but more inclined to trust them.

EDIT: And, I can see it being abused by some zealot to go on a crusade. Can you imagine that? That would scare me. The only defence would be to learn it yourself. SO we now get an arms race with magic. Government control would have to be implemented etc etc.

I would like to have magic though. That would be cool.

[ January 11, 2006, 21:16: Message edited by: Daie d'Malkin ]

14. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

As a physicist/mathematician I'd be fascinated questions would be along the lines
    1. What is the source
    2. What laws govern magic e.g. in physicsa there are 4 primary forces gravity, electomagnetic force, strong nuclear force and weak nuclear force are there similar forces in magic
    3. what are the components of a spell and how is strength governed
    4. Other than ones own morality what are the restraints
    5. Can anybody pratice it or is it genetic in origin of use
    6. Other than violence what are its practical uses

That'll do for starters

15. Harbourboy

What do you mean by "returning"? Are we saying that there used to be magic once before?

16. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Oooh, I'm caught by my own semantics! Yes, HB, my premise for this story has been all along that there once was magic in the world but it faded away. I make a few speculations as to why but since it's not really part of the story I don't go into detail - but maybe I should... hmmm... That gives me an idea... ;)

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I'd attempt to gain/use it by pretty much whatever means (if such a thing was possible). So naturally I'd ask the person showing me this how to do it, for starters.

18. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Rally as a suggestion the magic went away as a result of the Sidhe leaving and the last magician (Michael Scott real person who is supposedly the last great magician according to legend and the vatican) locking the door, perhaps the lock breaks and the Sidhe return.

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Thanks, DS, but I've already got my premise for where it went and how it came back. Actually I'm 46K words into this now, so I think I've gone beyond the status of a mere premise! ;) However, I think I'll be looking for more info about this Michael Scott guy, who I'd never heard of - thanks for the tip. :roll:

20. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I think I would react differently depending on the type of magic you were considering to use, Rally. For instance, I'd freak out if a friend could cause fire to dance to a tune, but I'd get over and probably want to learn the how-to. On the other hand, I'd be terrified and looking for a ticket out of this world if s/he was summoning demons.

Out of curiosity, have you defined what type of magic will it be? Elemental control? Enchantments and curses? Dark rituals and spirit summoning? Psychic-related powers?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.