1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Infant death in car

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I see these kinds of cases quite a bit as a criminal law professor. The usual recipe is that the parents have to switch roles for a bit, but the parent whose turn it is to drive the infant is still mentally stuck in his or her routine, and then ...

Now we have a case that's a good deal more complex, and the subject of ongoing debate:

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/lawyer-mother-of-boy-left-in-hot-car-devastated

Plenty of facts for both the prosecution and the defense to work with here.

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    In my opinion it looks bad for the father. If this is the case I'm thinking about, the fact that there were Google searches about how long it would take to kill a kid in a hot car and that the daycare was in the father's office building and he took the kid there everyday really make the "I forgot he was there" argument seem a little weak.

3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I kinda get the possibility of one parent being stuck in his/her routine to experience such a dire slip of mind, but on a higher cognitive level one must wonder too.

I mean when our nuisances were little, there was no mental pause when it came to them. This was stressing and exhausting, but also less so as they grew.

Some time back I was reading about a women forgetting the infant in a hot car while she fled that said vehicle and sought refuge in a (air conditioned) gambling hall.

4. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

What bothers me from that article is how the media is ganging up on the mother, who isn't even the one who left the child in the car, for not showing enough emotion or showing the wrong kind of emotion. It's like reading The Stranger all over again. People express emotion in all kinds of different ways, but it doesn't mean you're a bad person if you express it differently than others (perhaps by not showing any publicly). Whether it was an accident or the father's fault, why are they going after the mother? Well, okay, I know why: the more dirt they can dig up on EVERYONE the better for them, but ... I still don't agree with it. It's bad enough she lost her child, then found out that her husband was sending naked pictures to other women (including a teen-ager), but then the media has to just tear her apart, too? *shakes head* At least the linked article is fairly balanced.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

They are going after her because of her comments when first left alone with the hsuband after he was arrested. She asked him if he told them too much. Basic police work going on here as they are just adding up the clues... they will probably arrest her as well once evidence is gathered. It takes time...

6. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Hmm... I didn't see that in the original article, so thanks! That makes a little more sense, then, although I still think the media is over-sensationalist.

7. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Isn't i always. :(

There were a great many such articles here in the AoDA where at the end we had to conclude that i comes down to drum-beating of the press.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.