1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

In what situation would you commit suicide.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Khazraj, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

This is hypothetical. Of course no sensible person would ever do it, but if you had to...

If I was raped.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If I were sentenced to life in prison, I know I would -most likely- make a very violent end to it in the first year. Just think of being sealed to a box for the rest of your life...

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Never.

4. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

As virne said, if I were sentenced to life in prison... And I would at least try it if I were paralyzed from my neck and all the way down...

That is only hypotethical, I would never do such a thing

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If I sat on information that would lead to the death of everyone I loved and I was about to face torture to get that information out of me I would do my best to kill myself before I could talk. Otherwise I cant see any situation where I would kill myself, plenty of times where I might want to kill myself but none where I think I would do it.

6. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I would most likely not commit suicide in any circumstance. Possibly if I were sentenced to life in prison, but even then I would make several attempts at escape first, no matter how small the chance of escaping. If that fails, then maybe I would concider it.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Theoretically never. But I'd rather kill myself with my own hands than let other people be killed because of my weakness (torture, blackmail) and I'm sure God would take that situation into account.

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I don't think most people can foresee the circumstances that would cause them to make a suicide. That being the case, it's practically impossible to answer the question. Certainly everyone would commit suicide given the right circumstances.

In my own case it would only be to save some of the rare few I consider to owe my life to, or then in a situation where I would be completely helpless to whatever unbearable horror was coming my way. As I've said before, I like to think of myself as chaotic good. And no matter how bad things might be for me, if I still retain my ability to think at least somewhat clearly and have my physical body to work with at my will, I would certainly use some not-so-accepted methods to better the world up to the point where others would solve the suicide problem for me. Some problems just can't be fixed by turning your other cheek for them to slap.

9. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

"Of course no sensible person would ever do it"

So if I had suceeded some years back then I would not be a sensible person? Hmm.

My answer to the question is this: When you can justify it to yourself.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I imagine that sometimes it may seem the only sensible choice and only faith keeps you going - and faith isn't really sensible.

11. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

What is the leading cause of suicide?

Short answer...alcoholism.

Almost 70% of suicides are committed by alcoholics. The debate is based on the causality relationship between these two facts. Personally, I believe since alcoholism is largely a genetic disease, it probably causes more suicides rather than the pre-existing condition of depression causing the alcoholism. Taking large quantities of a depressant daily would lead to depression.

12. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i can't.

It is my natural duty to preserve life. Suicide would contradict this duty. Duty dictates all.

chevalier,
    it is sensible, even rational, to have faith. Pascal told us that worshipping God is a rational choice in his "Pascal's Wager". Kant rantionally laid out his duty based ethics theory, which is what i have been using(?) for a long time prior to reading his text.

13. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

When life stops being fun, and I have fulfilled all my duties to my family members. Most of the women in my family live about 20 years after they have lost their minds to Alzheimers, scared half to death because everyone is a stranger and they don't know where they are. It's not going to happen to me. When my husband and my dog are dead, I'll take a flask of brandy and cream into the woods in winter and go to sleep forever, preferably somewhere that I will be found and eaten by wild animals to save anyone the trouble of disposing of my body.

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I almost did when I was 10.

My mother had married and we'd moved 100 miles away. I had no friends, no family, nothing.
    I went to a school where I was physically bullied every day. The teachers despised me because I thought the work was simple, the pupils hated me because I didn't have an accent and came late in the year. I missed my friends and everyone I knew who didn't hate the very sight of me. I missed being allowed outside without being chased. I didn't like the man my mother had married, he was showing his true colours and they were unpleasant. At school I finished all my work quickly and sat bored with people hissing rude names at me, they'd attack me with staple guns and I didn't know what to do. I wanted my mother to be happy, but it was making my life hell.

15. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If my girlfriend Jarita dies or even worse I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

16. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Never. I could not think of any situations when I would commit suicide. Not any of the situations other people have mentioned above. None.

17. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

- If I get into a condition where I required machinery or constant medical attention to survive. I've seen it being done, and I've seen cases where the doctors weren't actually helping people, but simply prolonging their suffering.
    - If it would save the life of someone I care about. (Not really suicide, but sacrifice. It's still willingly ending my own life)

But those are but a few examples. Lady Bonzo said it best: "When you can justify it to yourself."

18. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Faragorn, I was speaking from experience (sadly). I haven't thought about doing anything related to suicide or serious self harm for just over 2 years now, and haven't done anything for half a year longer.

19. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would consider it...if I were a gerbil trapped in Richard Gere's house. :D

Honestly, if I were dying of a painful terminal illness for which there was no cure, and that illness kept me permenantly in a hospital bed, costing my family a fortune to futilly keep me alive and prolong the inevitable, then I would do it. I wouldn't want to put them through more pain, emotionally or financially. Dying a slow death these days is an incredibly expensive thing.

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...Since we're talking hypothetically here, I thought of a few.
    • If I held the code to set off a WMD to destroy innocent lives and the code was being tortured out of me.
    • If I was in a situation like in the movie "Armageddon" where Bruce Willis had to stay behind to set off the bomb.
    • If I was old, and had lived a full and enjoyable life, but was stricken with a terminal illness and would have to be a vegetable for the remainder of my life.
    • If I had a clear shot at Bin Laden, or Saddam, but also had several of their henchmen pointing guns at me...I would take the shot.
    • I would sacrifice myself in a situation where it would prevent the death, or suffering of the masses.
    I believe strongly that the lives of the masses are more important than an individual, and if I were put in that situation, I would sacrifice myself. Sorry for being redundant. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.