1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Importing items again

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Sir Feat, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Sir Feat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

G'day again.

Re my earlier post Importing Items I have been head-bangingly unsuccessful in importing my items created for Sharwyn in the toolkit and manipulating them a'la Pausanias' mod - and I don't know why.

I've added Pausanias' Improved Henchmen Mods and Auldar's Multi-henchmen to NWN v.1-27 because I wasn't enjoying the official version. I take Taluntain's point in the previous thread about tampering with the Bioware-created plots but, to be honest, I don't want to meekly go back to the game and play it the way 'they' think I should play it. I want to be a bard/rogue and I want a beautiful, black-haired psychopathic killer called Sharwyn in her blue and gold chainmail to be my protector and whose soul I will redeem! (And whose heart I will win!!!)

Anyway, after recruiting the bardic Sharwyn in the Trade of Blades she will level up into the level 4 fighter Sharwyn I've created, carrying the weapons I've created for her, and she will happily slay her way across the Peninsular or through the Docks according to my instructions, except that she won't switch to the short-bow in the backpack even when I ask her to. As soon as I manage her inventory, tho', some of her stuff is there and some of it isn't, and when I give it back to her none of it re-appears. It does, though contain a Belt of Hill Giant Strength (unidentified) which she can't seem to equip, I didn't give her and which I can't imagine Bioware would have given her. Is this Daelan's? She did once re-equip herself with Daelan's battle-axe, which really didn't suit her. (Daelan was my other henchman at the time.)

This seems to be the problem described by Pausanias in his Troubleshooting guide, as Q&A 10, but I'm afraid I don't understand his solution - and as I'm not a member of Yahoo it seems I can't post a plea for clarification to him. Can anyone else help?

Pausanias writes: "The following should work only if you do it BEFORE the item is actually created. The following should have NO effect for items that are already physically present somewhere in a module." But then he (she?) says: "Open the module containing your custom item, or create a new module with a dummy area if you want to edit an official campaign item or want to create a new one. Now edit or create the item. " But what is it you have to do BEFORE the item is created?

He (she? There must be some computer-literate females out there somewhere, surely?) goes on: "When you're done, click on the "advanced" bar and give it a new blueprint name---say it's "pausitem"---save the module and close it. Open the module now with Zoligato's NWN Unpacker. Scroll through the custom resources. Eventually you will see something called "pausitem" and it will have "uti" in the Type column. Select "Resource" and then "Export" and export pausitem.uti to your override directory." (I done all that.) "Now go play the custom module and respawn the item---probably via a conversation tree. Then save your character and see if you can give the item to a henchman in the official campaign." I don't really understand the 'respawning' bit, nor how I can save my character in a custom module yet use it to give the item to a henchman in the official campaign - except by going right back to the start again and carring the item through the prelude. Plus Sharwyn's Katana/wakashazi combination gain powers as she levels up, and I don't want to have to carry four different sets to dole out to her at the appropriate times.

If your asking yourself, "Why the hell is he bothering with all this?" the truth is that I'm finding this challenge more fun than the game itself. I love playing Baldur's Gate the way I love reading TLOTR and Icewind Dale is, tho' different, almost as good because of the scope of characters I could create. I've a niggling feeling that with NWN, tho', Bioware has fallen for the 'Bridge too Far' syndrome - the 3-D camera thing (which I find irritating) has become the purpose of the game, rather than the plot or the characters. But that's for another forum.

Regards,

Sir Feat of Fantasy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.