1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Imported Characters

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Wyz-Man, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Wyz-Man Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What other games can i import characters from to iwd and HoW?

2. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

As far as I know... none. :( You can import IWD characters into an expansion only game or re-import them into a new game, but they won't work in the BG games. Most likely this is because of different spells, items and rules (like the bard songs, and the thief's evade ability) that aren't available in the other games.

I'm still hoping for a sequel though...

3. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I'm not entirely sure on the designers reasons for not including import capability in all of its games.

It seems to me that they could place some check for 'hacked' characters so as to not allow them. Likewise they simply should have an auto-modify feature for any legit character to "fit" with the level and gameplay of the CRPG.

So thus far you can only import BG I to other BG series games. Likewise you can import a BG I to an IWD series game. Unless you plan on re-playing BG I for the Tomes the simplest direction is you can "Import/Export within a series/expansions"

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You can't import anything from BG to IWD or vice versa. Even though theoretically it will work, you'll get more than your bargained for in the form of crashes and possibly ruination of your whole game. Go read the FAQ, it's all explained there.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 06, 2001).]

5. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Well I beg to differ with you on this one Tat. In fact this discussion came up last year when IWD was new. Many posters did just as I did -imported a BG1 character into IWD -without issues.

My 'Primary' character (Draco Vlasavius) was posted on this board as well last year (others did the same in this forum).

However I did point out that the 'most sensible' method is just to stick with import/export within a 'series' just to make it simple. Of course no IWD created character can be imported/exported to BG 1 or BG 2.

Just thought I'd update this post with facts that arose last year in this forum.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well according to the FAQ and numerous developer posts, you should not be able to do so. That's Black Isle's take on it anyway. They were saying exactly the same stuff I listed in my last post.
    I know that it IS possible to import characters, but BIS warned against long term consequences. I never tried it myself so I really don't care. But if you managed to pull it off without any ill effects, that's fine too I suppose...

7. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Ahhh sooo, I see.

Well if you haven't tried it yet it literally takes less than 60 seconds to give it a try.

Just copy any 'Final-Save' game or the Character files of your main character (From BG1 saves or BG1 Character files) over to the corresponding directory in IWD or BG II and choose Import Character or Import from a Saved game.

I not only did this from BG I to IWD, but I also did this for my 'first time' through BG II. I used the same BG I exported character -I was greedy. I didn't want to give up all of the TOME raised attributes of my character. But no problem. To each their own.

But I still wish the designers would implement an 'across the board' character import feature for those of us that are *sniff* kinda "attached to" and "fond of" a prior character or two :)

8. Havok Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I don't think that there is any problems with importing BG1 characters to BG2. I did it with no consequences so far. BG1 or 2 to IWD is probably a whole different animal.

I did the same thing with my main BG1 character because I didn't want to just quit working the character and give up all the hard earned increased stats even though you lose all the great equipment at the startup of BG2 because you're imprisoned. But that can be beaten by simply re-importing the character again after Imoen releases you...voila! There you are in all of your blazing glory...armor, weapons, etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.