1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Imoen Sucks!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by aegron, Jun 26, 2000.

1. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Why is everybody always talking about imoen as if she is any good?
    She is one of the worst thieves in the game, take coran(fighter/thief) for instance.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well you're either nuts, delusional or don't have any idea how to play the game...
    Not only is she an excellent thief and a great archer too boot, but she's cute too, a feature I could hardly attribute to Coran hehehe... actually I had both in my party and I liked Imoen as a thief 100% better than Coran :p

3. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Well, Imoen is good because of TWO big reasons :

- you get her in the beginning of the game, so YOU can chose her abilities (stealth, find traps,...). Once you get Coran, the game has done this for you, giving him almost a 100% in stealth and open locks, without any find traps-skill

- second, you can dual her to a mage, which makes room for a deadly combo : get Imoen up to level 5, while maxing out her find traps. Then dual her to conjurer (or enchanter, invoker,...), and get Coran. You'll then have stealth, find traps and open locks maxed out, and still got a great archer and a good mage

VOILA, take that :)

4. Spirit Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Read the poll... ;)

5. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

yeah right but if you start over again as a 7th level mage she isn't particular usefull and most of the thiefing skills i can give the npc's goes to pick pocket and open locks anyway. besides give coran a long bow of markmanship and he rocks far more than imoen (dex 20 eh)

6. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Up with Imoen!

Appart from her strength, Imoen is sooo much better than anyone else. When looting stuff with her, I find that the Cloak of the wolf (for that 18 strength) and boots of speed make her invincible. I wouldn't dual class her though because it takes to long to get back up in levels.

7. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I completely agree with aegron Imoen is a completely useless character and in response to whoever posted you could dual class to a mage she wouldn't be able to learn spell easily because her chance to learn would be low. Oh and Coran is emmensely better, and so is Alora in regards to thieving. So hah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited July 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited July 22, 2000).]

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Imoen is the best when you don't dual her, just leave her as a thief. She'll be the best thief in the party and with some magic items to help improve some stats awesome indeed.

9. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

[​IMG] Yes you're correct on it's a good thing to NOT dual-class her. Which if you didn't get it was the whole point of the reply and to state that Alora is better. I tried this Imoen thing yesterday and you're correct she is a better theif than Coran, however I stand by Alora as the best theif!!!

10. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] You mock the best NPC of the game? Not only is she a great thief, able to dual class to a mage extremely well, she also has personality, just listen to her next time you play. Imoen rocks. 'nuff said. :)

11. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Alora rules!!!!!! How can anyone say Imoen is the best NPC??? Anyone who thinks that is just plain wrong!!!!! I have agreed that Imoen is good, but even bards which I hate are better mages!!!! Alora is a better thief, Coran is a better fighter, Edwin is a better magic user!!!! So there!!!!!!! :p

12. hooligan_inc Guest

[​IMG] Immoen's alright provided you turn the sound off, leave her hanging around at the back of the party and don't spend too much money on her.

13. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Finally!!!!! Someone agrees with me!!!!

14. Jarron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Imoen is the only character I've kept around the whole game both times I've played simply for the fact you can dual class her to a mage. Xan sucks (low constitution), Dynaheir annoys me to death, and I like Minsc so I always end up not being able to have Edwin.

15. verajak Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Imoen by no means sucks... :mad:

you get her early in the gameso you can choose her thieving abilities. give her a short bow so she stays out of all the melee and doesn't get killed. Coran is very good, but imoen can duel and coran's stats are almost all chosen by the time you get him

16. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

I have to agree with Verajak there.

17. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

[​IMG] jarron, you can have Dynaheir, Minsc, And Edwin at the same time, although there is about a 70% chance that every hour you play they'll fight. I don't easily get annoyed, so I just save a lot, and when they get into a fight, I just load my save game. :D

18. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

Hey I've a cure for insomnia, first read an "Imoen is bad post", and voila! Sleep is yours!
    Incidently 'Egg thats a good way to stop your party losing out on a cool character. Minsc's mad Giant space hamster antics and Edwins evil plotting give a certain flair to a party I think. Althugh I do prefer a general mage myself....

19. DarkCroll Banned

[​IMG] just make imoen to a mage then its all right

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

She isn't useless at all. When you look at fighting as you do, you might say a Fighter/Thief is better then a pure thief in fighting (doh) That's not any news for me. But when you compare Coran to Imoen at thief skills you might find out that Imoen isn't usefull as a thief, and better then for example Coran is. But I suppose you already got some fighters in the party, let them fight and let your sister do the thief-jobs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.