1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Imoen or Nalia?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sir Ai Rayzor, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I just entered Spellhold, went through the dream and defeated the "Bhaal creature".

And this is where it gets interesting..

I can't decide whether I should choose Nalia or Imoen. I have had Nalia by my side ever since I met her.

Nalia's levels are Thief(4)/Mage(17)

Pros: She is near to her High Level Abilities, has A LOT of good spells to cast. She is a good character and I find her very useful.

Cons:
    Her thieving skills suck big time...

Imoen is a Thief(7)/Mage(11)

Pros: She is a lvl 7 Thief, more stealing (Yay!)

Cons: She is also only a lvl 11 Mage, it will take A LOT of time to get her as good as Nalia. She does not have as many spells as Nalia has, I have a lot of money, but I dont think it would be very wise to throw Nalia out and have an (almost) unusable mage to protect me (or so, considering that I am a Kensai(13)/Mage(15)).

Do you have any suggestions, comments or answers to the above?

What do you think?

2. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Simple answer here. If you have someone else you're using to handle your Theiving abilities, then go ahead and keep Nalia. Otherwise, grab Imoen. Seeing as how you are capable of throwing spells as well, you won't be hurt too terribly by the loss of Nalia's spells. And it really won't take too long for Imoen to advance anyways. If you plan to follow through into TOB, and don't have someone else in your partying with Theiving skills, Nalia just won't cut it.

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In order for Imoen to be worth it, I think you have to make it for spellhold ASAP in order to minimize the XP disadvantage.

4. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Then you've never given Nalia a chance. The only thing that Nalia is not good at is pocket picking. Other than that, I can only recall a few traps that she could not disarm and for those, there are items to help her out.

5. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31

Dont give up Nalia, shes to advanced right now. If you really want imoen drop someone else. Whats your full party?

6. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Imoen can be a lot better then Nalia if you get her asap, which is possible but easier the longer you leave it, and even easier if you use Yoshimo or Jan and guve them some potions to sell and steal until you can buy a few uber items.

I played a game with Tashia and Imoen both in my party at once and one Sorcerer is enough spell power to not need any other mage, so half the fights I was in I gave Imoen Simulacrums and Tensors to turn her into a F/T for the duration. And with stoneskin activated in advance, and Belm + Kundane she had over 6 attacks a round Improved hasted and became one bloody good fighter when she had her strength enhanced.

So if your playing a Sorcerer and have at least one more backup mage apart from Imoen/Nalia I think Imoen would be more usful in melee but that's just my playing style no one has to agree or anything.

7. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31

Thats the whole case, I dont have any other in my party other than Nalia and myself, and I dont want more party members, thats why I asked :)

AND Pick Locks. She really sucks at that too, I almost cant open any chests without breaking the lock with my Kensai.

I dont think I will. I think I will keep Nalia, she has been a good ally afterall and I dont think I will grow tired of buying potions of "Master Thievery".

Thanks for your help everyone :)

8. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If it is JUST the two of you in a party, then with the vast amount of EXP you two are sharing, it won't take long for that level difference between Imoen and Nalia to seem insignificant.

However, if you want to keep her for sentimental reasons, then great. Keep her, and deal with the Theiving she can't handle as it comes.

9. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Well, why don't keep Imoen at the back-up stage. After all, she will advance quite well after Underdark. And her advantage is quite bigger if you have the Ascension mod in you. Keep her in the back-up stage. She'll make 2 or 3 levels why you are in Underdark. She'll help you well against Irenicus I think. After that you'll get stuck with her in ToB. At least she's your sister, morality is another topic that drives me not to fire her.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.