1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'm thinking of giving this game a try:

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Klorox, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

How is it, really? Will I like it?

To answer that last question, I'm going to list the cRPG's I've played, and the order in which I liked them:

Baldur's Gate I
    Baldur's Gate II
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Icewind Dale II
    Icewind Dale I
    BG: Throne of Bhaal

What do I need to know about this game before installing? What patches do I need? Anything else I should install?

TIA

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I have pretty much used only platter's fixpack and the official patches you should be fine with them.

As for how you'll like the game. Torment is different from the ones above. The combat is certainly worse than in the other infinity engine games and probably easier. The story, the atmosphere, the characters and the dialogue however are miles above any of the above. The interface is also probably somewhat worse. Torment takes time to get into and it takes time until the plot really digs in and after that point there was not return for me. The gameplay will probably feel somewhat worse than in all of the above.

I'm of course a die hard Torment fan who sees the game as the best thing ever produced by the gaming industry mostly because of the depth of the game. However there are also many who feel that the dialogue is excessive and gameplay mechanics lacking. So I suppose it all boils down to what you are looking for in a game and how much are you willing to sacrifice gameplay elements for plot, dialogue, characters and atmosphere. If you dislike long dialogues (and I do mean long) you'll probably find it difficult to get into the game.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    It's very different from all the games you've listed but I think you will like it. Besides it should figure on your resume. ;)

I've started it less than a week ago and it was rather easy to get into the story. The gaming aspects are not bad but they are not stellar either (I love the multiclassing part though). I ran into some annoying problems with graphics and spellcasting but playing at higher resolutions or in windowed mode help.

At times it feels more like reading a book rather than playing a CRPG. It's definitely a different experience and I can understand why it has achieved such a cult status.

4. Klorox

Patch > Platter Fixpack > Platter Fixpack Beta.

That's it?

5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] If you're a bit more ambitious at modding, then you could try to get some more alterations in. Here's something I said in another thread about the topic:

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    If you're going for fixpack + restoration pack, you may want to go with Qwinn's mods that Loreseeker linked to in this thread. They're more up to date and are compatible with each other, whereas Platter's fixpack and the Restoration Pack can have some issues if put together (some of the fixes won't work).

7. Klorox

I just want a clean running game without bugs (or with as few as possible).

I don't need any additional stuff thrown in.

What should I install?

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    In this case just use Qwinn's Fixpack and nothing else. This one fixes only bugs and doesn't introduce anything. It has all the same fixes as Platter's but also a few additional ones, which is why I'd go with it.

The MaxHP mod is also a good one to use.

Candlestick Quest doesn't so much introduce new stuff as reactivate a quest that already exists in the game files. Personally I'd recommend you only use the Fixpack this time around, and install extra content and restoration mods on a future playthrough if you do one.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The first time through I only did the patch. I had no problems.

10. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

the MaxHP mod is not really necessary though since the game is not all that hard and can very well be played through without the need to throw max hitpoints at each level up.

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The official version 1.1 patch is a must-have (if you have a 2 CD version of the game, it is already patched). It fixes a lot of very annoying bugs.

Platter's fixpack is recommended but not absolutely necessary.

12. Klorox

Thanks guys.

I gained a level in the Mortuary, and so did Morte! I have exited and I just saved the game for the night.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.