1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'm searching for...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sopor Aeternus, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Sopor Aeternus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

Hello all,

I'm looking for a game that plays the same or almost the sam (!) as BG ( all games ), Icewind Dale, Pool of Radiance ...
    Any suggestions ??
    Played, Morrowind, Temple of Elemental Evil, but it's not the same...

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There is icewind dale 2, but you know that, I think.
    The last one is Planescape Torment. An old game and luckily again published as I have Heard.

If you like the 20-sided die system, try Never winter Nights, and both Knights of the old Repulic. NWN does not have a party system, just one or two INT challenged hencman. KotoR one and two have a party of 3, but a selection of hencman. www.bioware.com

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Uh - I can see the IWD/BG connection - but they're not really that similar to POR2 - maybe you could be a bit more specific about which elements that you liked from those games so we can give you better advice...

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Gold Box games, if you can get them running on your computer. DOSbox should help. These are old, 8-bit, EGA graphics games.

Gateway to the Savage Frontier
    Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Pool of Radiance - original, not Return to Myth Drannor
    Curse of the Azure Bonds
    Secret of the Silver Blades
    Pools of Darkness

Champions of Krynn
    Deathknights of Krynn
    Dark Queen of Krynn

Unlimited Adventures - the 'Gold Box Construction set'

5. Sopor Aeternus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

[​IMG] Thanks for the info all ...

Perhaps I like 2D games better than 3d games, I suppose...

It's a big difference between let us say POR, the Balder Gate's, the ID's and Morrowind, Temple Of Elemental Evil....

Or maybe I'm not so good at playing those games...

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

kuemper, someone made games based on Dragonlance? Or is Krynn not Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman's creation?

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Yes to both. As I understand it, Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman were players in the original campaign in a setting made by someone else. The Chronicles Trilogy details the events of the campaign, I believe. (I know one of them was Raistlin, and I'd venture a guess that the other one was Caramon.) Being both players and writers made them excellently qualified to write the books...but they didn't create the setting.

8. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Okay, the jaded know-it-all has roused from his slumber on this subject. (btw the reason is I saw kuemper and her hubby at the theater when the wife and I also went to see Clerks II so that got me thinking of BoM :) )

Yep; there's a whole raft of games based on Krynn: just about exclusively made by SSI - a 'flight sim' game called DragonStrike, a grand-strategic-level wargame War of the Lance, the three 'Gold Box' games already mentioned, along with some 'action scrollers' ( Heroes of the Lance and Dragons of Flame) and a 'hybrid' strategy game Shadow Sorcerer that's actually beginning to intrigue me - lead a pack of refugee in flight from the draconian armies and do a little dungeon delving for info and items to help the escape and keep persuading the refugee's political leaders to stay with you...hmmm....

All in all, it sounds promising, even if the most recently-made game is dated 14 years ago.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.