1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'M OFFENDED! BOO HOO HOO

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ghaldring, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghaldring Banned

Wow, this place is dead. Perhaps there would be more discussion if the unorthodox contibuters weren't given Idiot Plaques and then banned, leaving behind a bunch of mediocre sheeple.

While we are on the topic of sheeple, I'd like the raise a question. Why is the war cry of "I'm offended!" echoed by lamenting pussies taken so seriously in today's society? Quite often when I simply express my views or point out the absurdity of another's beliefs or arguments, they will whine in their nasal whine "I'm offended!" More often than not, the powers that be will tell me to shut up, or intervene to humiliate and censor me. And often once censored/banned they can't resist having the last word. How noble! :rolleyes:

"I'm offended" is the slogan minorities use to shut whites up when said whites point out hard truths. "I'm offended" is the last bastion of defense for angry feminists when you point out their crap.

"I'm offended" is the slogan veteran posters with a grudge will use to rally the mods they give a rimming religiously every Sunday, and then direct these dogs of war against the 'offending' poster.

"I'm offended" is the slogan liberal and neo-con fags use when you dare contradict their retarded beliefs and show them for the idiots they are. What's hilarious is that I've encountered liberals who will proudly tout "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." right before they banned 'troublesome' posters and their 'deviant' opinions. The excuse was that said posters had 'abused their right to free speech' by being offensive.

So the question here is: Why do ordinary people feel the need to censor opinions and arguments that they find despicable?
    Why is said censorship necessary, especially when the individual chooses whether or not to review said offensive opinion? How exactly is an individual affected detrimentally by a deviant viewpoint?

Why do people choose to continue reading opinions by posters that they know will piss them off? The only explainations which sound plausible to me are either than the whiner is retarded or obsessive compulsive.

And why are the words of an anonymous individual on an informal internet forum taken so seriously? Surely real human beings have better things to do than fume over some nameless dude's horrid opinions?

I guess the real question is why those who frequent discussion forums tend to be so thin-skinned and slackjawed. Two possible explainations:

1. Individuals who post frequently on discussion forums are withdrawn from real life, making them embittered and socially desolate individuals. As a result, their only source of excitement and feeling of importance is to censor opinions they find abhorrent on an internet forum.

2. Those who frequent discussion forums are inherently weak individuals, evidenced by the fact that they need to seek sanctuary behind their computer screen, instead of pumping iron or banging chicks. Weak individuals are insecure, meaning that even questioning their ideologies would push them over the edge.

Comments?

2. nunsbane

nunsbane

You sound very embittered. Why are you not busy pumping iron and banging chicks?

Harbourboy likes this.
  3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Hey, that's MY job!

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The Idiot plaque is reserved for those that violate rules of civility, not those that champion the less popular causes.

Because it is the first step towards social change. This change can be good, but it can also be bad. The point is that once one person starts to whine, more will join in, starting a movement.

I find that only goes so far. Someone goes on to use freedom of speech to promote hatred, I would also want the right to act in a way to shut them up.

In some cases, that isolation may be real. For example living in a small community and the internet being their only connection to likeminded individuals...

Years of Tourette Syndrome have worn on my joints to the point where I can't handle repetitive motion, I have a bad back and I'm too cheap to pay for sex...

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Hey, did you actually think that up yourself? or did you get help from Bill O'Reilly? And you would think that letting you guys pararde up and down the streets in your white sheets would be enough....

But this is a privately owned site, and since you believe in "freedom," I'm sure you don't have a problem with the owner managing his site the way he sees fit: His website, his rules. Go figure. But feel "free" to start one of your own.

Shaitan likes this.
  6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Go read On Liberty. By the time you've finished, you might have calmed down a bit and stopped trying to fling insults, and it might even give you some thoughts regarding what you're ranting about.

7. Ghaldring Banned

Because I'm a limp wristed faggot with small genitalia who enjoys spending all of his time making sophomoric comments about 'embittered' (ie. successful) males in order to gain a sense of self worth. Please help. :(

Nice to see that someone can respond with some insight:

No, it's reserved for people that the general forum populance has taken a dislike to. This dislike is usually due to radical ideologies which are promoted without consideration for political correctness.

But if what you say is true (although I doubt it), I find it rather ironic that an Idiot Plaque is given to individuals who lack civility. Isn't it rather lacking in civility to label someone an idiot?

No, not always. Usually whining and social condemnation are used to maintain the status quo.

"How dare you think outside the square. You friggen deviant, are you claiming that our society's morals are shot? You are bad, you are evil, you need to be put in a mental institution, waa waa waa, mummy please protect me from these ebil ideas."

Hate speech is liberal and neo-con rhetoric. These days, making socially unacceptable observations = hate speech.

You mean, censor them?

In a minority of cases. But in most cases, the isolation is self-imposed. Why do people spend so much of their time getting offended over opinions and a 'lack of civility' by anonymous posters on the internet. Don't they have a life? Don't they have a job, children, a spouse, hobbies? Why aren't they out banging broads and beating up liberals (enjoying life in general), instead of busting a vein over stupid bull****?

Can't handle repetitive motion? Does that mean that you can't even masturbate?! :eek:

I can't read because I'm a dumbass. So can you please explain to me why posters on internet forums are so desperate to censor individuals who they personally don't like, or whose substance/style they find abhorrent. Why not simply tolerate diversity of both expression and opinion, instead of playing hidey hidey behind the mods?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2008
  8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It seems like you are offended at what people have posted on an Internet forum and have thus made a post explaining to everyone how offended you are.

T2Bruno likes this.
  9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What is a neo-con fag?

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Harbourboy, a neo-con(servative) is a form of political ideologies, and a fag is an American pejorative word or slur for a homosexual.

Would you be able to back this up with some examples, or are you just making hot-headed, unfound remarks?

Regarding your main question, I can think of very few people who tend to get upset by what people have said on forums, when it comes to political/philosphical talk. Usually the reason seems to be either insecurity or because they think that someones comments are meant as direct insult against them, as opposed to criticisms in their belief.

Finally, Ghaldring, you're more than entitled to what ever beliefs you want, but please drop the insults. They're not required.

11. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I like how he's summed up "life" in banging chicks, pumping iron, and beating up neo-cons...

12. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i dont know rotku, i seem to have ticked off talutain somethin' fierce!!

13. Ghaldring Banned

I am the example. A particular left wing sissy on this forum whined to the admin when I dismantled his poorly thatched together BS, and I was banned. Note that just prior to being banned, the sissy PM'ed me, gloating about how I wouldn't be present on the forum for much longer as he had reported me to the admin. He even included a lovely smiley to express his joy at me getting my ass booted out the door.

Of course, such petty and craven behaviour didn't surprise me, given that he was a liberal. The only way degenerate liberals can strike back against those who are superior is to hide behind the authority figures they claim to loathe. That's just their nature, much like it is the nature of a rat to spread disease.

Just read the Global Warming thread. It's rife with passive aggressiveness. Liberal retards who claim to have the moral highground, while simultaneously making snide remarks (and indeed citing the rules) when someone disagrees with them.

Bingo.

Oh dear, grown adults can't handle insults. :rolleyes:

I haven't insulted anyone personally on this thread.

Yeah, I love the way how he argues with you, and then we he gets sick of you contradicting him, resumes the mod role. It's the equivalent of getting in a mano-mano fistfight with a cop, and every time you gain the upper hand, he pulls out his badge and threatens to arrest you for assaulting an officer.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2008
  14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Drama? On my internets?
    (it's more likely than you think)

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ghaldring (and all your other alts), you've just used up your last life. Game over. I hope you think it was worth it.

Loreseeker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.