1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'm getting Planescape-a few ?s

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Orkrist the Cleaver, May 5, 2001.

1. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I remember starting BG1 and seeing the trailer for PS:T. I thought it was awesome looking, but it didn't show gameplay at all. Anyway, I've heard a lot about the art and the experience of it, but here are some questions:

1.) Are there movies in the game? I actually like the movies.

2.) How is the music in the game?

3.) How long is the gameplay?

4.) What if anything, is the most irritating thing in the game?

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

These are my thoughts.

1. Yes, there are movies inside and few of them kicks ass.

2. The music in the game contains some of the greatest musical scores ever appeared in a game.

3. This is a trick question. However, don't count that it is possible to finish it in two days.

4. Most irritating thing is loooong loading and slowdowns during the play, but that's feature in every Black Isle game so let's say I don't mind that. There is a method of full install and patch that resolves those.

3. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Ah, extremist, just the thing I wanted to ask: my game is slowing down a lot to, especially with spellcasting with 3 mages ;)
    My computer seems fast enough: 550 Mhz, 128 Mb Ram, 32 Mb Videocard etc. I quess my Cd-Rom is to slow.

My question, how do I install all four CD's on my harddisk? The setup doesn't have that function, I don't know how to do it otherwise. Thanks

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

What you do is copy the contents of the CD's onto the hard drive. I usually copy them into the Tormnet folder in their own folder per CD. Then open the Torment.ini file with and where the CD paths are change them to where you copied the CD's.

5. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Ah, thanks Wildfire, it worked! Things run smoother now. I think I'll install the patch now for total smoothness ;) It's still a little bit shocky...

And to answer Orkrist' questions from my perspective:
    - 1. Yes there are, and they add some more athmosphere in the game.

- 2. I always put the music off and play some Heavy Metal on the background, it suits my gameplay better ;) Sorry, can't help you here

- 3. If you read every line of text with attention and if you really try to get into the story, this can be a week of non stop fantasy experience.

- 4. There is nothing major irritating, but if I have to mention some, I will: IMHO, the fighting in this game is mot so complicated and tactical as in Baldurs Gate 2. There are few weapons and even fewer spells.

But this is more than made up with the excelent story. And of course, this game has no exp cap and places with unlimited monster spawning :D :D :D

[This message has been edited by Igneous (edited May 05, 2001).]

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh geez, where should I start with link posting? Orkrist, next time take a few minutes and browse around Sorcerer's Place a bit. Unlike the site where you came from, we actually have some relevant content...

For starters, check http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment

After that, you can jump to http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/Screenshots and check out over 200 screenshots of actual gameplay, and a gallery of screenshots taken from the movies. You'll see they rock.

Since many people wondered about the full install, I put up a full guide on how to do it at http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/planescape_probsolve.php

Next, a few general ideas about the game: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/planescape_faq.php

I would also recommend http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/tormenthints.php (read it in full), before starting to play.

And finally, go to http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/index_misc.php and download the patch which fixes the slowdown bug.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 05, 2001).]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  7. Extremist Gems: 31/31

This thing I simply must add here. Truth is that there are less spells in PT than in BG. But they are looking so damn good and some of them have great animations when casted (not like that lame movie for Summon Cow in BG).

Igneous, please turn on the music, it really kicks ass and changes when you enter new area or whether you're attacked or not.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Not that Summon Cow was a legit spell anyway, heh. Don't bitch about something you were never meant to use. ;)

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Of course it is not legit (my game crashed when I casted it for the first time and haven't put the right CD before in drive).

For hex editor users like me (if there's any) who want to try that spell put SPWI299 in the spells section of your saved game or exported character. If these pages are for cheaters then here is one more! :mad: :mad:
    Anyway, you'll see a movie that you saw when gone to explore second mines.

Yeah, someone will now say, why don't you use Lame Keeper? Dear ones, I can't mess saves in another games with that utility so I'll stick with my DOS Navigator hex editor. And my "Idiot of the week" plaque.

And Tal, I never used it to finish the game like those who use CTRL+Q or other cheats in BG2. When I finished BG (a few times with different heroes), I started to dig stuff outta game just to see if I missed something. Some things you can see only with hex editor, i.e. that game lacks a few things that were planned to be inside and never finished (Wall of Fire spell, etc.) :p

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited May 05, 2001).]

10. Taluntain

Media:
    Indeed, there are a lot of those lying around in the code. Try BG2... See the never-done Hear'Dalis plot and the real background with the Twisted Rune. ;)

11. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Well, sorry Taluntain. I had a feeling there were many previous posts addressing this question and I did fail to search for them. Thanks for the answers all the same.
    -Orkrist

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.