1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Illegal Strip Searches at Reagan National

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by chevalier, Dec 5, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here's the link. See that on your own eyes.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1104/190100.html

My God... I can't believe that! Who allowed male staff to strip-search female passengers? Those women had to strip before male airport service people who only stopped short of touching them.

How the **** can it be called a civilised country when they can pick your wife or mother or daughter or sister and have her strip naked before a couple of airport goons at their leasure?

The problem doesn't start when they "adjust" the screeners to pick up women for screening, basing on their attractive looks. The problem starts when male staff are allowed to be present where and when female passengers are searched. Not only security guards, but practically anyone who wants. Not in a special place, but a ****ing stairwell or an office room with a ****ing camera videotaping the woman being forced to strip and searched.

Strip searches do happen in the civilised world, but they are always done by a person of the same sex.

I just wonder how the legislators who passed that law would feel if something like that happened to their families, if they weren't able to hide behind VIP status. Or how the ****ing airport goons would feel if their wives, mothers, daughters and sisters were treated like that.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I have a lot of trouble believing what that site tells me, it's like the National Enquirer, the whole site is "selling" news, even trying to shove it down your throat, nah it's probably not true, got any other resources?

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

And what's with the hard caps? I only read the normal text, the all caps text I skipped completely.

But to be honest, I am not suprised.

Solution: Easy, just do it like me. I don't consider USA to be civilized, not a smallest bit, Iraq is more civilized.

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

dead right

5. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Oh, come now. There are things one can easily disagree about concerning the U.S... but this is really too much.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I spent the last week traveling (I'm starting a new job on Monday) and didn't have any problem with airport security on either flight. I'm not sure that security knows what the hell they are doing, but they were very courteous and helpful. I chalk this up to a bad apple being used by people who have drawn their conclusions before they consider any evidence.

7. chevalier

Media:
    Perhaps evidence of abuse like picking a woman for her breast size, kicking the sensor so it would react to her, and then having her perforf duck walk and videotaping her - that would take some evidence seeking.

I consider testimony from former airport workers and affected passengers and their families quite enough. It won't be enough to put the culprits behind bars, I guess (and no surprise here), but the matter is pretty obvious, if you ask me.

But I don't suppose it's overly difficult to notice one thing and ask one question: Why the hell are males allowed to strip-search females, first of all?

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

...in the interests of national security

9. chevalier

Media:
    Does the interest of national security require that female passengers be searched by male staff and not female staff?

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Of course there is no need/excuse for male staff to search females. My post was part irony and part truth. When things like that happen we always hear '...in the interests of national security' as an excuse. Its just like Guantánamo or Abu Ghraib.

11. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I completly get your point, but would it be the same if woman were strip searching males? Its all down to the person in charge at the end of the day and if they are abusing their position of power (president Bush for instance :bang: ). This kind of stuff happens all over the world and not just in the USA, there is always somone with titles and powers who believe they are above the law and can abuse peoples trust :mad: , its a very sad human condition that will take a lot of time for the rest of us to be rid of.

12. chevalier

Media:
    Equality of genders is one thing, but the fact stands that males are stronger and bigger, especially if they are security guards.

The average woman has more problems with stripping before a male doctor than the average man has with stripping before a female doctor. And, you know, doctors are typically people with good manners, university education and some social skill. And they don't carry guns and bark commands, for goodness' sake.

Honestly, I don't care about the gender of the doctor when it comes to me. And if it came to strip-search for security reasons, I wouldn't care much more. But if a male guard tried to pull that trick on a woman travelling with me, I would at least see to it that he ends up enomployed without any chance of getting a trust-based job. And, of course, I would rather miss a plane and test my luck suing them for compensation than let that happen. After all, they can't just drag you away and tear the clothes off you. They could call the police at the very most and I'm not sure if they would actually like that.

You know, I read that thing yesterday and still haven't been able to shake it off.

Woman: You can't do that.
    Manager: We can.

And they did. She had to strip in front of a couple of security guards and the manager. Doesn't say, security manager or airport manager. Just some manager.

Sometimes I am in favour of death penalty... It's plain gang rape with exceptional distress, just without penetration (consider duck walk and videotaping). Add abuse of authority (if they had any, in the very first place) and there's no place in the society for such trash.

[ December 06, 2004, 16:07: Message edited by: chevalier ]

13. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

Its sickening that people like this can slip through the net, there are checks in place to make sure that people who are employed in these kind of jobs are not murderers, thieves, rapists, abusers, arsonists etc. I can't wait until we have the national standard ID card introduced!

14. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

LOL!

Would that be, "Woman #1," "Woman #2," "Woman #3," or "TSA Employee?"

I personally have spoken with, "Woman #2" on many occasions and I think she's a very credible witness. On another note, it certainly is a good thing that, "TSA Employee" got a job with TSA, because with a name like that, where else are you going to work?

Incidently, I found the actual news broadcast

Be at ease Chev, the quote that you're raging on about is just dropped in the report with no context whatsoever. The woman who says it, does not actually say what she's disagreeing with the manager about.

[ December 06, 2004, 17:23: Message edited by: ArtEChoke ]

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, just hearing your reaction chev makes me want to put compulsiory strip search of all women performed by loud boisterous uncouth louts in crowded places. ;) :p

The only reason I see why we shouldnt let men strip search women is to make annoying prudes keep quiet.

16. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Nice to see you're in touch with your femine side Joacqin. I'm sure women everywhere will agree with you...

Or maybe not.

I'm in complete agreement with Chev on this issue.

17. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

In agreement with what? The article can't find any victims.

The women interviewed are random people waiting on line at the security gate at the airport. Its completely misleading.

The only thing in the broadcast that should even make someone raise an eyebrow is the anonymous, "TSA Employees" (or ex-employees, which is even more suspect) with wierd voice scrambling.

As it is presented, there isn't one shred of credible proof that anything happened.

18. chevalier

Media:
    Let's put it the nasty way: what if one of those women were your girlfriend or sister?

19. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

You agree with an opinion and believe in facts.

Even if it didn't happen, I agree with Chev that men should not be allowed to perform strip searches on women.

20. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Well, if it was Joacqin's girlfriend, then at least there would be an actual victim.

Edit: Carcaroth, I agree with the principle too, however, that doesn't excuse a complete witch-hunt, complete with biased generalized comments about a whole countries level of civilization, etc, based on an article which fails to provide, a) a victim, b) a perpetrator or c) a crime.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.